What saws used 42mm Pistons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Take a 346xp OE 42mm piston. Chuck it in the lathe and spin about .050 off the crown to get to .080 on the ring land. It ''should'' fit in a 44 husky and be able to run the base gasket and have ~.020 squish. I spun a popup on the one I built and it was a strong torquey little saw. Just watch for the ring end pins as they get close to getting in the intake port.:msp_biggrin:

Is that why for the 44 they had the ring end to the side of the piston, so it would not catch the intake port? Would a 345 piston be useable in place of the 346XP OE piston. I thought the 346 used 2 rings and the 345 used 1 ring. Or are the windows and skirts different from one piston to the other since one is a closed port cylinder and one is an open port?

Husky; 44, 444, 242, 42, 242xp, 45, 346xp (45cc), 345 are those I remember.

Stihl; 024, 024S, MS240, 028AV (early 43cc version), 025, MS250, 030AV are those I remember.

Then there are the brushcutters etc.....

Thanks for the help on figuring out what Husqvarna saws run 42mm. I started doing some searching yesterday but knew I had most likely left some out.

Never got into a Stihl saw before, but got lots of Stihl parts laying around, so that cross reference may become very useful if I don't find a Husqvarna it fits.

If it comes to brushcutters....well we will cross that bridge when we get there.

You may look at early 025 pistons, and 024 also. Not sure about compression height, but the 025 ones are easily found, and cheap.

Thanks for the help on figuring out what Husqvarna saws run 42mm. I started doing some searching yesterday but knew I had most likely left some out.

Never got into a Stihl saw before, but got lots of Stihl parts laying around, so that cross reference may become very useful if I don't find a Husqvarna it fits.

If it comes to brushcutters....well we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Actually, the 543xp is 42mm as well, but you hardly have any of those in that parts stash.....:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back