What small saw to recommend to a newb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVshooter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, all. I've been asked by the neighbor's kid (17 I think) what kind of saw he should buy to start himself a small firewood business. He's a bit hyper, so he won't be using any of my saws. I do want to help him out a bit, though. He's a good kid, and one of the juniors in my firehouse.

At any rate, he seems set on buying new even though I've tried to convince him there are better values to be found in the used arena. With this in mind, what saw would you recommend for him? I've pushed him toward a Jonsy 2240 or a Stihl 250. We have good dealer support for both locally, along with Echo and Husky. I know neither is a pro saw, but being in High School, he's trying to keep it around 300 clams.

I'm out of buying saws for myself for a while with a little one on the way, so I may as well help someone else.

So let's hear it!:popcorn:

Last edited:
This year was the first year to sell firewood. I used a Echo cs370 great little saw but did take a while. You can find them on craigslist CHEAP and still new. I would recommend him getting the cs400 or even the cs530. They are also pretty cheap on craigslist.

Reason im suggesting Echo, they have a great dependable saw and sell for cheap.

I personally think a MS250 is a very good saw for its weight, power, price, and durability in its class.

I would highly reccomend the stihl MS250 with a 16 inch bar. Im 18 and have been running a 250 since i was 14 when my dad bought me a shiny new 250 for christmas. In fact i just cut 8 pickup loads of firewood with it today and it performed flawlessly. It has good power, light weight, and is very dependable. The saw is well ballanced and it is easy on your back when you cut with it all day (unlike some other comparable saws... poulans *cough, cough*) well im not here to criticize other saws, im just here to say that he will be very happy with the price, performance, and reliability of a stihl MS250 chainsaw

I would highly reccomend the stihl MS250 with a 16 inch bar. Im 18 and have been running a 250 since i was 14 when my dad bought me a shiny new 250 for christmas. In fact i just cut 8 pickup loads of firewood with it today and it performed flawlessly. It has good power, light weight, and is very dependable. The saw is well ballanced and it is easy on your back when you cut with it all day (unlike some other comparable saws... poulans *cough, cough*) well im not here to criticize other saws, im just here to say that he will be very happy with the price, performance, and reliability of a stihl MS250 chainsaw
My old poulans would make quick work out of your little ms250 :) But my back will hurt after smokin' ya:)

I'd step up to the 290. It seems to me that it would be more suitable as an all-around firewood saw. When I was 17, I was running an 066. :biggrinbounce2:

Learning how to operate a saw safely in the main thing. The boy will run a 250 for a month or so and then realize he should have bought a saw with a little more power. JMO.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the 290, but he's scraping to get the 300 I believe.

Between the Jonsy 2240 and the Stihl 250, I'm leaning toward Stihl. I just have a hard time recommending a saw with a primer bulb.

For a first saw that cuts real good with a muff modd and good tuning I'd normally recomend a $200 CS400 Echo off Ebay but right now Ebay has a GZ400 Redmax shipped for $160, both of these 2 are built better and will cut faster than a MS250. Steve

echo-redmax

I have 4400 echo had for lots of use runs all day in hot weather, lite powerful quite.
your right ebay lots of great deals on these saws.

I would say if he only has $300 then get the MS250. After he makes some money in a year or so he could sell the MS250 for at least 1/2 of what he paid for it, if he takes care of it and then buy a little bigger and better saw.

Just a thought, but how bout a dolkita 510? They seem to have a good reputation,and will have more power than the ms250. Ive never ran one, but people on here think alot of them.

Last edited:
It would be great to go out with him a few times, (supervise for safety related issues) and get him into some chaps and good eyes, ears, and head protection.

A 250 wouldn't be bad, a 290 isn't much more.

Just a thought, but how bout a dolkita 510? They seem to have a good reputation, will have more power than the ms250, and probably cheeper as well. Ive never ran one, but people on here think alot of them.

The Dolmar would be an excellent choice! Excellent build quality. A little over 300.00 though, but not much. Also consider the 420 Good power in a compact design. Much stonger than an Ms250!! Its right at 300.00.

The Dolmar would be an excellent choice! Excellent build quality. A little over 300.00 though, but not much. Also consider the 420 Good power in a compact design. Much stonger than an Ms250!! Its right at 300.00.

:dizzy: I dont know what I was thinking....dont guess I was lol.

Yep, dolmar/makita 510 around about 360.00.

i just don't see spending $300 on an "occasional use" saw to be used for a firewood business as a wise investment. He should save some more and buy a better saw in the mid range to land owner series like a 311 or a 359.

Husqvarna 435 is one that I always wanted to try. Until I got mt 346 that is.

Anyhow, the 435 seems to be quite underrated and would be a good homeowner/hobby business starter saw.

I love my old 025. It has been a dependable limber and small wood cutter for close to 20 years. BUT for a business where time is money he should get no less than 60cc. Period. Anything less would be an exercise in frustration.

husky 353, I get in heck from grandma, since she goes to grab her saw and where the 353 should of been i put my 390xp so then she waits for me to get back with a quad and trailer full of wood to get her 353, in the end i usually cut up what she needs anyways, nice saw plenty of power, decomp is nice, real smooth, not sure on the price tho, I think that kid should look at a used saw with more power in that price range, even go with him and show him the ropes of buying a used saw, but like you said hes set on new. $300 can get you a pretty nice pro saw that will be easier for him to work on, and faster.

Back