What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely don't use the decomp with the XT versions of the 365/372. They'll flood easily if you do use it. Trying high idle is a good idea too. A lot of people have had the same problems, do a search on here. My dealer has had a lot of the same complaints.

Definitely don't use the decomp with the XT versions of the 365/372. They'll flood easily if you do use it. Trying high idle is a good idea too. A lot of people have had the same problems, do a search on here. My dealer has had a lot of the same complaints.

That's odd. On my 066 and 461 they don't like to pull over too good without using the decomp, but on the 372 I noticed that the decomp dont make a huge difference on how easily it pulls over. I did notice that sometime whilst pulling it over, the starter gear deal wouldnt catch the flywheel it'd just skip throughout the whole pull. Wasn't really too impressed with the 372 X-torq's starting procedures or the power, seemed under powered pulling a 24" bar in all the oak trees we were cutting. I need to convince the bossman to get them woods ported.

Andy had a very good post. Just adding to what he stated so well.

I do what I love, at the cost of all the things I used to love. Not much time for fishing, hunting, backpacking, snowmobileing, playing with the dogs................etc.

So think it over real hard. I'm starting to wonder if a not so exciting job would be well worth having the time/energy to do all the other things I used to get excited about. That stuff has kind of gone by the wayside. And the years go by real quick. And I'm not that old.

Just give it some thought, this logging game is getting tougher, leaner and more demanding by the month anymore. - Sam

Andy had a very good post. Just adding to what he stated so well.

I do what I love, at the cost of all the things I used to love. Not much time for fishing, hunting, backpacking, snowmobileing, playing with the dogs................etc.

So think it over real hard. I'm starting to wonder if a not so exciting job would be well worth having the time/energy to do all the other things I used to get excited about. That stuff has kind of gone by the wayside. And the years go by real quick. And I'm not that old.

Just give it some thought, this logging game is getting tougher, leaner and more demanding by the month anymore. - Sam

Excellent post and well said.

Well I thought hard about my job situation for awhile, and today I gave my bossman 2 weeks notice. I thought he'd be really happy that I'd be leaving since he's always yelling at me telling me how he's going to replace me and that he doesn't need me, then I got word in from a coworker after I left he is really disappointed because I was his project and he wanted to teach me to be like him. If he wasn't so moody and ridiculously yelling at me over the smallest things I might feel bad, but for all the things he's said to me, I'm kinda almost sorta glad he's disappointed. If I do something right, he takes the credit, if he does something wrong, I take the blame. He loves trying to embarrass me in front of other people. I've had many a night where I lay awake cause his voice is stuck in my head screaming at me. But I've taken it all in stride and not let him know it gets to me so he lays it on thicker and heavier day by day. Most people at work think that he's the biggest ####### the way he treats me and all ask me how I haven't hit him or talked back to him yet. So at this point, I'm just going to take it day by day, let the road wind and see where it takes me.

If you ever get too desperate I could always use a hand in the sunny south! But I don't think I would turn you loose fellin' timber right off the bat. But we always need a good landing man and a mechanic and a skidder operator and grease monkey and a choker setter and an accountant and a ..................... I can always think of something! LOL Too many shoes to fill and labor pool SUCKS!!!!

Good Luck man!

You will be better off by leaving and you'll find a better person to work with.

I've followed this thread and developed some feelings about the situation and the boss employee relationship from a standpoint of human relations. The effort you made to do your best, to make the job work out and the mistreatment you experienced from your unfit boss will benefit you in the long haul. It should be a lesson you can use when and if you become a supervisor, not to treat your employees the way he treated you. Our industry is so short of good people who understand how to work safely, how to make their time work in favor of the company and the customer and how to take care of company assets while taking care of trees.

If you ever get too desperate I could always use a hand in the sunny south! But I don't think I would turn you loose fellin' timber right off the bat. But we always need a good landing man and a mechanic and a skidder operator and grease monkey and a choker setter and an accountant and a ..................... I can always think of something! LOL Too many shoes to fill and labor pool SUCKS!!!!

Good Luck man!

preciate the offer, if I ever get turned loose in KY I'll be sure to give ya a holler

Gear Questions

I need a good belt that can clip on and off and tighten down good for my wedge pouch and ax scabbard, looking for something heavy duty that can be removed/attached quickly and easily. What do yawl like? I dont like the leather belt I have them on now, dont hold up well. I seen something from madsens that looked good but I have a few things piled up in my baileys shopping cart so I think it'd be easiest to order from them but having a hard time finding anything. Any help is much appreciated!

Also, how many of yawl wear chaps in the woods when working with a saw? We're not allowed to use a chainsaw without chaps on the job over here and the ones they give us are pretty bad they're full wrap but the straps won't stay on or tight and I spend too much time fussing with them.. I've read something about chaps that go on under the jeans sorta like john-longs, anyone have any experience with them? or can recommend a better pair to get myself?

One more gear question, what all do yawl carry on ya in the woods when falling trees? Looking for an EDC (every day carry). My c-spenders have two clips for keybacks, I figure I'll put a whistle on one, how bout the other?

Thanks for any info!
Doug

A "yawl" is a two masted sail boat...duh! :cheers:

I wear a small back pack contents:

extra chain, lunch and drink, extra wedge. I wear chaps...stihl brand. I carry a wedge and chainsaw tool in m back pocket, and carry a file in my chaps.

A "yawl" is a two masted sail boat...duh! :cheers:

I wear a small back pack contents:

extra chain, lunch and drink, extra wedge. I wear chaps...stihl brand. I carry a wedge and chainsaw tool in m back pocket, and carry a file in my chaps.

never knew that, learn something new every day, in my case 3 things new every day- two things I didn't know and one thing I forgot.

Anyways, backpack sounds like a decent idea, since we're a small operation, the skidder and the faller work closely together so I don't believe I'll need a backpack.

You'll figure it out. I just hate that it seems you're probably going to figure it out the hard way.

For a belt I use an old military web belt with suspenders attached.
In time you will find that a pack is a good thing, even if you're working close to the skidder.
For future reference, spell it ya'll. That way people don't mistake you for a sailor. ;)

Andy

That way people don't mistake you for a sailor.

Been out of the Navy 8 years now and I can't imagine why you'd cast aspersions on our glorious, two-fisted, drunken, crackerjack-wearin', cussin' up a storm ways. OH WAIT -- I got OUT of the Navy because I was tired of that crap.

Carry on.

The company I work for makes us wear chaps. I don't know about the average person, but I wear the legs straps as loose as possible. Don't like things constricting my legs since we do a lot of walking. A pack pack is a must. I carry chains, files, flat files, mountain money, food, drink, coffee, dry sweater, pitch and all my wedges in it. While cutting I keep my wedges in my back pocket, file in my chew pocket and bar tool with it.

military type web belt and one o dem leather wedge pocket deals, Spencer log tape, spenders are for my pants, tin hat, and usually have the whistle on a lanyard around me neck, cause my spenders don't allways have the d-ring, write in the rain note book in breast pocket for keeping notes and figuring if'n the mills are trying to rip me off (which as a note they always are :msp_mad:), and a beating axe...

In the wedge pouch I have 4-5 wedges from 8"-12" depending on the wood that day, a spare chain file and a scrench, and various amounts of fir/hemlock needles, chips, dirt, grease, a little blood... I try to dump it out once in a while, but dam it get full of funk... the picture isn't real great but gives you the idear...

Also I work pretty close to the truck so carring a back pack is kinda pointless, probably the one benefit of being a gyppo! That and I don't have to wear chaps...

Last edited:
Good heavens! If the wrong people look at this thread, you'll get busted for saw abuse! :msp_thumbup:

Why does that picture make me think "Art"? Ah, because it could be controversial and stimulate a conversation.

Take your gear and skidder to Seattle and maybe you can sell it for an outrageous amount. It is a sculpture.

Latest posts

Back