What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use yer pockets, sleeves, cuffs, socks whats left of yer skivvies, in that order... or just do like a cousin of mine and just slip and fall in it, then go swimming. Watch for stinging nettles if ya got em or poison ivy/oak

you could maybe catch a squirrel and pretend your Thor... gotta be a white squirrel though...

Talked to the new bossman today, I asked him what all I should bring with me, he said nothing. He's got everything I need, he even buys breakfast and lunch. He said he supplys 372 half wraps with 24" bars. He said that he dont use anything more than half wrap because he cuts the stumps so low to the ground that the wrap gets in the way...not sure what to think on that one...he says that out west in the softwoods they can cut stumps higher or something because they're so much bigger but out in the hardwoods we need every inch we can get...dont sound too great to me. he said that if I wanted to wear calks I could but he said that right now working out near pine bush its so rocky terrain that the calks wear down way too quick and they dont grip that great in hardwood and this and that. He dint sound like a bad guy, said he's been logging for 47 years, he's 60 years old now, and still kickin.

Still a bbackup saw is a good idea espically if it's yet own...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Talked to the new bossman today, I asked him what all I should bring with me, he said nothing. He's got everything I need, he even buys breakfast and lunch. He said he supplys 372 half wraps with 24" bars. He said that he dont use anything more than half wrap because he cuts the stumps so low to the ground that the wrap gets in the way...not sure what to think on that one...he says that out west in the softwoods they can cut stumps higher or something because they're so much bigger but out in the hardwoods we need every inch we can get...dont sound too great to me. he said that if I wanted to wear calks I could but he said that right now working out near pine bush its so rocky terrain that the calks wear down way too quick and they dont grip that great in hardwood and this and that. He dint sound like a bad guy, said he's been logging for 47 years, he's 60 years old now, and still kickin.

I ran a half-wrap out here the last two years I was contracting. We did mostly commercial thinning or straight falling at that time and the sale administrators were always breathing down our necks to get the stumps lower.

Unfortunately, the wood in second-growth Doug Fir stumps is usually too wavy to make good lumber so the mills just chop that part off.

I ran a half-wrap out here the last two years I was contracting. We did mostly commercial thinning or straight falling at that time and the sale administrators were always breathing down our necks to get the stumps lower.

Unfortunately, the wood in second-growth Doug Fir stumps is usually too wavy to make good lumber so the mills just chop that part off.

The land owners around here they really appreciate/require short stumps. If I cut them higher than a 6'' or so, I can expect to hear about it afterwards. Funny - and frustrating - thing is I usually cut the first foot off while bucking because of the waves/flare.

Well, I guess the stumps are something visible remaining after the patch is cleared. You can't judge something you can't see before your eyes, can you?

Future logs will get hung up on high stumps. Or foresters can get impaled on the tiny sharp ones left during precommercial thinning. Or at least get a very painful bruise.

If big enough, high stumps in clearcuts are good to hide behind when broadcast burning and stuff starts rolling down the hill. Or during those yarding operations when the lines are straining. That's about it.
Otherwise, they are a pain.

First day was awesome!

Just got back from my first day, it went awesome! and fast! I showed up there 20 min early and the bossman really liked that, I met the crew, small but good folk. Bossman is an old timer, 60 years old, been a logger for 47 years. He gave me a brand new pair of chaps and my saw for the day, a one month old Husky 372 with a 24" bar and round ground chisel chain. We got at her I got a ride out to the cutting area in the skidder which is a 2001 (give or take) Timberjack 360 that he bought new. Anyways, the boss went up to a tree, showed me how he likes to drop them and away we went. I did the next one and he watched, he gave me a few pointers and by the second tree he was happy with my stump and the way I dropped and topped it. They're doing a thinning right now cant remember how many board feet there are in this job but there's around 200 acres and just under 1000 trees for us to cut. Mainly oaks ranging from 16"-26" and a few bigger ones in between. Anyways, after working from 7-10, the bossman left to get us breakfast while we kept going. He left us with some safety advice. Breakfast showed up on the skidder later and we stopped for a couple minutes had coffee and bacon egg and cheeses and got back at er. I chopped and topped proberly 25 trees going slow, taking my time to be safe. The bossman has us trim the trees really nice we smooth the knots out and trim all the buttresses and do a nice job, he says that the sawmill we go to pays us extra for having such nice trees. We also take extra time with the tops to make them nice. He says we're not racing to get as many trees cut as we can, we want to do a great job so we get work from the next guy. He really cares about his work being neat and I think that's awesome. So anyways, me and the other faller worked for a little over 9 hours, bossman stayed at the landing bucking and stacking timber and we had another guy on the skidder. Four man crew but we got a good bit done. The oak was hard on the chains I had to stop and touch up my chain fairly frequently. At the end of the day he showed me some pictures from when he lived out west cutting timber. Some real big stuff. Also showed my some pictures of pretty good sized trees from the west point area down the road from me. Also some pictures of some big bucks he's shot. He said that in all the years he's owned the company he's never run out of work. I asked him if I did a good job and he liked the way I worked, how long would it be til I'd get a raise, he said one week. He said the first week I'll get 100/day and the next week 120/day and then he said after a year or two I'd only go up. He said the last faller he had was really good and made 200/day. The pay is on the books too so that's just the gross pay, not sure what net comes out to. Anyways, the boss seemed to like me alot and so did the skidder operator and the other faller. The skidder operator only works weekends so during the week he said we'll proberly rotate me and the other faller every 2-3 days running skidder or falling. For clear cuts they've got a Bell feller buncher that I'd run also and right now his log truck driver is out for like 2 months and he needs someone with a cdl, I can drive big trucks I work on them and test drive them at work now but I don't have me cdl so I'll have to get that going.
Before I left the other faller said hey man you gotta quit your current job and come log with us! I said I think I might have to.
So now I have a decision to make on leaving my cushy union job that I dont really like but has good pay, to go do something that I love for less pay.
Oh and also bossman told me that if I come work for him I can take a load of firewood home every day, they'll help load it up and all. That's big, I can make pretty good money off the firewood. He said that I could make 15 grand a year selling firewood with the amount that he's got for me.

I know that AS is big on pictures or it dint happen, so here's a few pictures that I took with my cell phone that are hard to see, sorry about the bad quality, my camera lens is all scratched up.

View attachment 274331View attachment 274332View attachment 274333

Nice, sounds like your're in with a good crew.
What is the purpose of the thinning you are doing? 5 trees/acre sounds really low to me

Nice, sounds like your're in with a good crew.
What is the purpose of the thinning you are doing? 5 trees/acre sounds really low to me

Yea that sounds really low. I'm not a hardwood guy but sounds like a selective cut to me. Selective is different than a thinning. Different objectives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like it went well. Some points to ponder; granted my situation is different being young (is 29 still young???) and running my own show, but none the less. Winter SUCKS!!! (at least in my neck o' the woods) production easily drops by half compared to summer and fall. Rain, snow, mud.....repeat. Never gets cold enough to freeze hard. Maybe the ground freezes up hard that far north? What I am gettin at is expect your paycheck to drop in the winter due to weather and ground conditions. Numbero dos. Just my guess but I am gonna say there ain't (I am allowed to stay stuff like that cause I live south of the Mason Dixon line) no benefits. What kinda commute you gonna have? How far away does he range? And a bunch of other stuff i haven't thought of :D

That bein' said, there is definately somethin' about doin' what you love!
That's why I am nearly broke in the middle of winter in the mud, and not considering a occupational change:D

Good luck, I know we ain't a whole lotta help................................

We quite often have two months in the spring where we can't haul wood due to the frost coming out of the roads. Maybe similar situation in NY. If you can't haul, you can't cut (or get paid)

After you have been there a bit and get faster hit him up for pay by the load. If your crew doesn't have a de-limber...and it doesn't sound like you do...you can really increase your pay day. Glad it is coming together for ya! :clap: Be safe! Good luck!

Sounds like it went well. Some points to ponder; granted my situation is different being young (is 29 still young???) and running my own show, but none the less. Winter SUCKS!!! (at least in my neck o' the woods) production easily drops by half compared to summer and fall. Rain, snow, mud.....repeat. Never gets cold enough to freeze hard. Maybe the ground freezes up hard that far north? What I am gettin at is expect your paycheck to drop in the winter due to weather and ground conditions. Numbero dos. Just my guess but I am gonna say there ain't (I am allowed to stay stuff like that cause I live south of the Mason Dixon line) no benefits. What kinda commute you gonna have? How far away does he range? And a bunch of other stuff i haven't thought of :D

That bein' said, there is definately somethin' about doin' what you love!
That's why I am nearly broke in the middle of winter in the mud, and not considering a occupational change:D

Good luck, I know we ain't a whole lotta help................................

Yep. Mud, mud, mud and more mud. Belly pan deep right now. No hauling for a while. Bummer.

Back