What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, sounds like your're in with a good crew.
What is the purpose of the thinning you are doing? 5 trees/acre sounds really low to me

I reckon it aint thinning then...I also don't reall know the whole situation, but I know that we aren't clear cuttin everything..I'm just cuttin everything that's marked.

Question for husky guys:
the 372 that they bought last month that I was using today, for the first few hours it was really hard to start, and when I put it on its side to cut something it'd just up and die on me and then it was hard to start again...anyone got any ideas? Saw is way to new to be actin like that I think.

Sounds like it went well. Some points to ponder; granted my situation is different being young (is 29 still young???) and running my own show, but none the less. Winter SUCKS!!! (at least in my neck o' the woods) production easily drops by half compared to summer and fall. Rain, snow, mud.....repeat. Never gets cold enough to freeze hard. Maybe the ground freezes up hard that far north? What I am gettin at is expect your paycheck to drop in the winter due to weather and ground conditions. Numbero dos. Just my guess but I am gonna say there ain't (I am allowed to stay stuff like that cause I live south of the Mason Dixon line) no benefits. What kinda commute you gonna have? How far away does he range? And a bunch of other stuff i haven't thought of :D

That bein' said, there is definately somethin' about doin' what you love!
That's why I am nearly broke in the middle of winter in the mud, and not considering a occupational change:D

Good luck, I know we ain't a whole lotta help................................

Yea the ground is funky right now, the skid trails were gettin muddy today when they thawed out. It's been gettin cold at night and warm during the day so the ground aint all too froze up round here. My old chippewars got pert near soaked today, time to apply obenhaufs

Winter weather, not much money, watching' tv forecast hoping to work next week

Yea the ground is funky here too. Oh, there's plenty of work to be done but too doggone raw out there to make it happen. My buddy works another p.t. Job at an auto salvage body shop. He's had work there to keep him afloat while we wait for nature to give us a break. But ain't it fun to do tree work?!

I reckon it aint thinning then...I also don't reall know the whole situation, but I know that we aren't clear cuttin everything..I'm just cuttin everything that's marked.

Question for husky guys:
the 372 that they bought last month that I was using today, for the first few hours it was really hard to start, and when I put it on its side to cut something it'd just up and die on me and then it was hard to start again...anyone got any ideas? Saw is way to new to be actin like that I think.

Sounds like you are cutting tie market stumpage, say nothing less than 15 inch stump. As far as your saw, IDK about a Husky but check your internal gas line and make sure it is where it needs to be and see if it has trash on the little end filter. Normally if the revs start increasing on their own when turned on it's side it is usually crank seals....but yours is dying, that makes me think fuel line is kinked in the gas tank or the screen is clogged. One thing for sure...it ain't yours so at least that is good! :msp_biggrin:

Yea the ground is funky here too. Oh, there's plenty of work to be done but too doggone raw out there to make it happen. My buddy works another p.t. Job at an auto salvage body shop. He's had work there to keep him afloat while we wait for nature to give us a break. But ain't it fun to do tree work?!

YES :msp_biggrin:

Sounds like you are cutting tie market stumpage, say nothing less than 15 inch stump. As far as your saw, IDK about a Husky but check your internal gas line and make sure it is where it needs to be and see if it has trash on the little end filter. Normally if the revs start increasing on their own when turned on it's side it is usually crank seals....but yours is dying, that makes me think fuel line is kinked in the gas tank or the screen is clogged. One thing for sure...it ain't yours so at least that is good! :msp_biggrin:

sounds good to me haha...and yea I thought that the gas line might've been kinked or cracked or something but it looked fine to me, I was shocked when he said the saw was only a month old. It got way better towards the end of the day almost like it needed to be broke in. I had to figure out its little quirks. I know how my Stihl saws like it, but the husky seemed way different. My 346 aint like this. Anyways...if you use the decomp valve, it makes it harder to start them for some reason. When the other faller told me that I was shocked...it worked though. These 372's seem WAY underpowered, all day I wanted to go grab my 461r to cut with. The other faller told me they had cats in em. I said well they better take the cats out've em before the word gets out!

Pair of graphs mang...

Old eyes no see so good. All I see is a big blurry block of words... :laugh:

Gary

Actually, nevermind the magnifying glass, if your computer is a windows pc, hold down the CTRL button and then press the += button that is on the left of the backspace, the screen will zoom in. If you want to go back out, hold the CTRL button and press the _- button on the left of the += button.

(paragraph one) No, actually, paragraphs are what many people who post on various forums seem to have forgotten how to do. A paragraph is a polite thing to do anymore. Did you not learn of such a miraculous thing to do back in grade school? I should ramble on and on and on and on and on and on. For some reason, paragraphs make reading easier.

(Paragraph two) When your thought changes, or subject varies, it is a good thing to start another paragraph.

(Paragraph 3) I hope you understand.

(Paragraph 4) Or is there a special button on a computer that will break up long, rambling writing and insert paragraphs? I think not.

(Paragraph 5) Please let us know how the Obenauf's works on the boots. Me thinks that you should be wearing rubber boots if conditions are so wet and muddy.

372s never had cats. I believe it about starting one. They have large squish and not very high compression from new and the decomp may not leave enough squeeze to light it the first pull.

Lots of people talk about doing something, but you actually got up and did it. The right way, too. Having said that, giving up that union job would be impossible for me to do. Granted, this is coming from a perspective clouded by my life's experiences, but the house, acreage, and toys you said early on that you want will come to you with that job, along with health care, retirement savings, and a pension. Things that may not seem important now will become very important 20 years from now. Do I love my job in a bank? No, but it pays the bills, keeps my family happy, and gives me a little time and money to go out and play.

Please don't misunderstand, I am happy for you whatever you decide, but there is the difference between getting to and having to and for the money, you're really going to have to.

(paragraph one) No, actually, paragraphs are what many people who post on various forums seem to have forgotten how to do. A paragraph is a polite thing to do anymore. Did you not learn of such a miraculous thing to do back in grade school? I should ramble on and on and on and on and on and on. For some reason, paragraphs make reading easier.

(Paragraph two) When your thought changes, or subject varies, it is a good thing to start another paragraph.

(Paragraph 4) Or is there a special button on a computer that will break up long, rambling writing and insert paragraphs? I think not.

(Paragraph 5) Please let us know how the Obenauf's works on the boots. Me thinks that you should be wearing rubber boots if conditions are so wet and muddy.

Sorry! I was eggs-cited and just kept rambling on..yes I learned about paragraphs in grade school, but that was soo long ago!

372s never had cats. I believe it about starting one. They have large squish and not very high compression from new and the decomp may not leave enough squeeze to light it the first pull.

Lots of people talk about doing something, but you actually got up and did it. The right way, too. Having said that, giving up that union job would be impossible for me to do. Granted, this is coming from a perspective clouded by my life's experiences, but the house, acreage, and toys you said early on that you want will come to you with that job, along with health care, retirement savings, and a pension. Things that may not seem important now will become very important 20 years from now. Do I love my job in a bank? No, but it pays the bills, keeps my family happy, and gives me a little time and money to go out and play.

Please don't misunderstand, I am happy for you whatever you decide, but there is the difference between getting to and having to and for the money, you're really going to have to.

Thanks for your input!
I'm leaning towards quitting my cushy union job that I don't enjoy..if all else fails down the road, I'll have my CDL and I'm sure one of the Teamsters from my job now will be able to get me in. and them fellers, let me tell you, they make some serious pocket change for doing damn near nothing!
I could also get my ase welding certification and do something along them lines. I do side jobs welding for people and I weld alot at work I love welding too so there's more potentials for me.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Doug

I done made me a study an come to figure that ill start using paragraphs to make my rambling easier for everyone...I might even go back and paragraphasize it

Go for it. Sounds like you have skills you can use. I'm not a carpenter anymore, but the bags are on a hook in the shop ready for the day I hope never comes.

Go for it. Sounds like you have skills you can use. I'm not a carpenter anymore, but the bags are on a hook in the shop ready for the day I hope never comes.

My framing bags are on a hook in similar fashion. Empty as can be. Darn kids ran off with every nail, screw, hammer, catspaw, tape, chalk, square and swaggle I own.

Oh well. Bags are lighter this way.:msp_wink:

Well, I guess I'll just put in 2 more cents worth. I don't expect it to be heeded, but I'm going to say it any way.
Before you quit your day job, think long and hard. I know you've already thought it out. Think longer and harder.
This job starts out at $100 a day, that's what...$100 to $150 a day cut from your current job? What about benefits? Those are few & far between in this industry. Ok, now I'll ask the big question. Is that really fair to your family?
I only ask this as I look back on some of the jobs I've had. In the beginning of this thread you stated that you don't need much, and made a short list of the things you want. As I read your list I thought, stay with the job you have. I've been working in the woods for almost 30 years and am struggling to maintain the things in life that you want.
I've got a great wife that has stuck with me through thick & thin, but taking a cut in pay like that can put a strain on the best of relationships. I know this from experience.
I've alway's told my kids that they need to do what they have to now, so they can do what they want to when that time comes.
I'm going to leave it at that, and wish you the best with whatever you decide.

Andy

Well, I guess I'll just put in 2 more cents worth. I don't expect it to be heeded, but I'm going to say it any way.
Before you quit your day job, think long and hard. I know you've already thought it out. Think longer and harder.
This job starts out at $100 a day, that's what...$100 to $150 a day cut from your current job? What about benefits? Those are few & far between in this industry. Ok, now I'll ask the big question. Is that really fair to your family?
I only ask this as I look back on some of the jobs I've had. In the beginning of this thread you stated that you don't need much, and made a short list of the things you want. As I read your list I thought, stay with the job you have. I've been working in the woods for almost 30 years and am struggling to maintain the things in life that you want.
I've got a great wife that has stuck with me through thick & thin, but taking a cut in pay like that can put a strain on the best of relationships. I know this from experience.
I've alway's told my kids that they need to do what they have to now, so they can do what they want to when that time comes.
I'm going to leave it at that, and wish you the best with whatever you decide.

Andy

Thanks, I'm gonna take that and chew on it today. I'm just a young buck right now 21 years old just got done with school and I'm living with my folks right now, me and a few buddies are planning on renting a house sometime in the near future. The pay cut will be big, but I need to get out of working in NYC. It ain't no kinda place for me I gotta get out. But I will still think hard about it.
Doug

Question for husky guys:
the 372 that they bought last month that I was using today, for the first few hours it was really hard to start, and when I put it on its side to cut something it'd just up and die on me and then it was hard to start again...anyone got any ideas?

You probably know this already, but it's worth mentioning just in case you don't; the 'high idle' circut on huskies is activated by pulling the choke out and pushing it back in, then starting the saw as normal. This is the same as the 'half choke/throttle lock' on stihl saws. Don't use the decomp, just pull the choke out, push it back in, make sure your chain brake is engaged then pull her over. Click the throttle to take it off high idle.

Shaun

You probably know this already, but it's worth mentioning just in case you don't; the 'high idle' circut on huskies is activated by pulling the choke out and pushing it back in, then starting the saw as normal. This is the same as the 'half choke/throttle lock' on stihl saws. Don't use the decomp, just pull the choke out, push it back in, make sure your chain brake is engaged then pull her over. Click the throttle to take it off high idle.

Shaun

yessir, I was a pullin and a pushin on that choke nub alot

Latest posts

Back