What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Federal poverty threshold for a family of 4 is $23k/yr. $100/8hr day is $26k/yr... Not a lot of room for nice truck, modest toys, small acreage etc.
I'm right there with you on a job that makes you happy though... I'm back in school to finish my bachelors degree in forestry- "wannabe logger" style :msp_biggrin:
My previous prospects weren't as high on the hog as yours, but enough that my wife could stay home with the kids 75% of the week. It was a tough choice and a lot of support from her to make the career shift.

Do you have the option with current employer for short-term leave, or max out your vaca time to get a couple weeks on the job with this logging outfit before you make the jump?

Hey i hope the new job works out for you!

This reminds me of when i was just getting into the steel business. I was about 13 and worked along side my buddies dad. He was an ex iron worker and pipe fitter from back in the 70s. He would wear my azz out some days for not thinking. But after a few years i knew what was going on in the trade just from working summers with him.

I went on my own when i was 19 or so. I wasn't making much but i had my own rig and i was hanging and welding iron. Some jobs took a long time since it was just me and my buddy. When the economy tanked i jumped out and just did side work. Enough to feed me and have a little fun.

I was tired of not having benefits and tired of worrying if there was work. I applied at fabrication shop, showed him my certs, then did a weld test. Past with flying colors. I was 21. I made 42k that year and its been going up ever since. This year in 8 months i made 45k im only 23 so im doing alright i think.

Just recently i divorced my iron and now run a rig hauling the iron to all the jobsites. I occasionally will help out hanging or welding but hardly.

I guess my point is sometimes you have to start out making hardly anything to make anything. Im 23 i drive a truck around all day and get to bs with all the ironworkers i used to work with. My job is great!

Its never to late to learn more trades, it sounds like your a fast learner so this could really work out for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Federal poverty threshold for a family of 4 is $23k/yr. $100/8hr day is $26k/yr... Not a lot of room for nice truck, modest toys, small acreage etc.
I'm right there with you on a job that makes you happy though... I'm back in school to finish my bachelors degree in forestry- "wannabe logger" style :msp_biggrin:
My previous prospects weren't as high on the hog as yours, but enough that my wife could stay home with the kids 75% of the week. It was a tough choice and a lot of support from her to make the career shift.

Do you have the option with current employer for short-term leave, or max out your vaca time to get a couple weeks on the job with this logging outfit before you make the jump?

I could proberly work out some sort of short term leave deal. they did that for me when I was going through college. Not sure about now though our company is going through a corporate audit thingie mabobber and they're cracking down on everything.

Hey i hope the new job works out for you!

This reminds me of when i was just getting into the steel business. I was about 13 and worked along side my buddies dad. He was an ex iron worker and pipe fitter from back in the 70s. He would wear my azz out some days for not thinking. But after a few years i knew what was going on in the trade just from working summers with him.

I went on my own when i was 19 or so. I wasn't making much but i had my own rig and i was hanging and welding iron. Some jobs took a long time since it was just me and my buddy. When the economy tanked i jumped out and just did side work. Enough to feed me and have a little fun.

I was tired of not having benefits and tired of worrying if there was work. I applied at fabrication shop, showed him my certs, then did a weld test. Past with flying colors. I was 21. I made 42k that year and its been going up ever since. This year in 8 months i made 45k im only 23 so im doing alright i think.

Just recently i divorced my iron and now run a rig hauling the iron to all the jobsites. I occasionally will help out hanging or welding but hardly.

I guess my point is sometimes you have to start out making hardly anything to make anything. Im 23 i drive a truck around all day and get to bs with all the ironworkers i used to work with. My job is great!

Its never to late to learn more trades, it sounds like your a fast learner so this could really work out for you.

Thanks for sharing. Yea I believe I could be allright doing side work too. I can weld, fabricate, fix things, drive/operate anything on the land. Once I get my cdl I know I'll never be outta work cause the country depends so heavily on the trucking industry, that aint goin nowhere.

haha yea, well shoot its too cold out here for that! allthough long sleeves you could get quite a few uses out of, just cut off a piece at a time, talk about lookin funny. better yet dont cut them even like, start with one side, then the other. thatd be funny. bossman nowadays says that he always wears two pairs of socks in case he's gotta go, I ask him if he likes rubbing his hairy arse with his sweat drenched socks...

Thanks for sharing. Yea I believe I could be allright doing side work too. I can weld, fabricate, fix things, drive/operate anything on the land. Once I get my cdl I know I'll never be outta work cause the country depends so heavily on the trucking industry, that aint goin nowhere.

Cdl is great to have but if you have no training running a rig you wont get hired in anything. I went thru a training program. Still didn't know what the hell i was doing.

Paper towels folded in pocket or back pack. That's hilarious...you say "y'all" in NYC??? :laugh: I bet that goes over like a fart in yoga class...

well...my grandma we call her Lallah has raised me up from the ground and she says all them southern thangs...shes from GA. Grandpappy is gone now but he had a thick accent and he raised my pappy and its just kinda gone down the line. all my cousins still call us yankees when we talk or have gtgs...and hey now! I aint from NYC! I'm just workin there right now cause they pay alot of money, commute 45 miles to the tip each day. I smell cow turd every morn from the beef/dairy farm down the road...in NYC they dont got that pleasure, they just smell septic waste, trash, and alot of human farts.

Yup been there quite a few times...but ppl kept sayin bring TP..I was wonderin how they toted it around with them.

Well, you could cut it into long streamers and glue a few of them to your hard hat...kinda like a human windsock...but most people just wad some up and carry it in their pocket. If it's raining put the tp in a sandwich baggy.

Well, you could cut it into long streamers and glue a few of them to your hard hat...kinda like a human windsock...but most people just wad some up and carry it in their pocket. If it's raining put the tp in a sandwich baggy.

hah! i wonder what the bossman would say if I showed up to work like that...

Latest posts

Back