What trimmer are you running?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think trimmers have been around for that long! I bet they don't build any of them like that anymore.

The older Echos, Shinnys and Kaw's were indestructible too.

I didn't think trimmers have been around for that long! I bet they don't build any of them like that anymore.

The older Echos, Shinnys and Kaw's were indestructible too.

I have a homelite st385 that is so old, it says "Made in the USA" on top. Now thats old.

i have a kawasaki kgt27a fairly powerful wights about 10 pounds i use aramid gator line with very good results,,,,,,,, ive used all sorts of trimmers from hoffco commercial, homelights,redmax, now i just want light n powerful, in my teens i trimmed the rows for a vegetable farmer he had around 44 thousand tomato plants all on drip eregation you can imagine the real healthy weeds one thing i learned it takes real tough string and i hate the stuff that welds together

I am thinking my stihl is a fs 66. Mabe I have the wrong #. My brother bought it new about 1990 and I got it from him about 2000. He used it heavy on his farm and I have been using it intermitently since I had it. I asked my brother if he ever did any repairs and we figured it has needed absolutely no repairs since new. I had it sit more then a few months several times and as far as I can remember it started every time just choking it. I've been using it this summer trimming grass in a cemetary I maintain. So far most of the use was with the metal brush blade for me. Also have used it with poly blades and been using it lately as a string trimmer.

I run a Stihl 110 and a fs 85r at work. The 110 is good for thicker grass or weeds but the 85 is faster for trimming.
I like the handle on the shaft type trimmer instead of the bike handlebar.

At home I have a Husky 325 with the bike handlebar that I want convert to the regular grip on the shaft.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Been running a WeedEater XT90 straight shaft for the longest time with a muffler mod :jawdrop:Wife just picked me up a brand new WeedEater FL20 20cc at a garage sale for $20.00,will do a muffler mod on it as soon as the carb tool gets here and run it till it dies.Wife also got me an lawnboy 2 cycle mower with 8 hours on it for $125.00.Sorry,nobody said no pics.
attachment.php

its actually a fs110, don't know why i had 250 in my head.

either way, i am very pleased with it
stihl fs 250

wayyyyy powerful, i bought becuase i can swap gear heads and it can become a broom, mini tiller, edger and ect.

more power iirc then the kombi units and cheaper

it is usually wearing trim line, but I have a blade I use for the heavy stuff, it will take a 2 inch sapling quick, and I have done thicker.

It is a bit heavy, and the vibration can get to you after a bit, but it gets the job done, and I am only using it a for a 30 minutes a weekend on average, and a good 1-2 hours every other weekend, depending on the growth in the back yard.

FS80 runs trimmer line.

KM110 with attachments: blade, hedge trimmer, edger. Saw and extention to come.

Like both!

ole joat

I'm running a FS85T. I really like this unit. It has a lot of power and has been very reliable for the past 6 - plus years. I have the trimmer, edger and hedge trimmer attachments, and they all work well.

Echo SRM-230. Home Depot special.

I've never been all that happy with it. Has always spun a little at idle but not enough to warrant doing anything more than playing with the idle screw (not the culprit). Starts and runs reliably though, and can't complain about the tap head.

Currently looking for something relatively new with bike bars for some brush clearing...

Last edited:
I have a couple of Husqvarna 345FXT. Good solid and heavy. In the summer I run one on cord for the grass/hay and keep the other on the saw blade for brush cutting. Have a grass blade too but it is off an old machine and I do not have the correct guard for it so am not too keen on using it. In the winter they both run on saw blade and I easily cut 10/15cm(4-6") diameter trees and at a push and with a bit of fiddling cutting around all sides will get to maybe 20/30cm(8-12") diameter trees (am I exaggerating this, maybe? The wife says my 8" measuring stick is much shorter than I think it is!). The harness is pretty comfortable. Great for thinning out young forest.

Downsides may be that they are primarily a forest saw (winter use so has the heated handles). This means the angle of the saw/cord is level when relatively high up, unless you are really short. Fine for cutting saplings above the snow with the blade, bit of a pain when trimming grass neatly with a cord. Both machines have, although very new (under warranty), had issues with fuel leakage from the fuel lines due to cracks in the rubber, bit poor I thought.

You want to watch what kind of eye protection you use with these things. The cord can whip sand and gravel up and hurts like hell if it hits an ungloved hand or exposed chin.

TM

fs 55 with one of the most rock solid 27cc motors ever made. Vibrates like a 50 cent massage bed but never fails.

Just got a FS 250 this spring and love it. Paired it up with a BR 600 blower and can make quick work of weeds and clean-up. Both units have awesome amounts of power. I think they are the MS660's of the string trimmer and blower worlds....

Latest posts

Back