What was the best learning experience you ever got working on a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 30 years ago I learned not to lay your elbow on the chain of a running S25 when tuning the carb while it is clamped in the vise by its bar. :(

.....and I'm sure you have the scars to prove it!:chainsaw:

I also cut my teeth on those aweful mini-macs (think the worst for me was a Mac110). It was 'free', and was basicaly brand new, but had been left with fuel in it until the carb and tank were totaly hardened. Never have seen a case of gum/shellack that bad before or since. Couldn't de-gum the carb body or the tank (with built in filter) without destroying the plastic. Damn plastic/metal Zama and cheapo fuel tank assembly. Still have the almost brand new longblock, b/c, carrying case, and most of the other parts in a box somewhere. That's one of my basket cases...

Learned the curse of ethonol gas while working on OPE for Sears thru the '90s. Many many many destroyed cylinders and such in brand new equipment...:buttkick:

Always have a selection of variously shaped forceps in the toolbox.
Use soft iron wire and grease for those pesky fuel lines.
Don't replace the oil pump until you've cleared the vent hole in the oil reservoir.
A Mity-Vac is your friend.
A block of UHMW polyethylene is vital as a soft anvil.
Safety glasses.

Best tip I've ever learnt is never ever read the instructions. Be a real man and work it out yourself. If stuck though it is OK to ask the missus if she'll read the instructions for you, because then you're not really a weak little sissy, just a sissy who is man enough to ask :cheers:

Getting this running again.

DSCF2619.jpg

DSCF2618-1.jpg

Best tip I've ever learnt is never ever read the instructions. Be a real man and work it out yourself. If stuck though it is OK to ask the missus if she'll read the instructions for you, because then you're not really a weak little sissy, just a sissy who is man enough to ask :cheers:

Yup what bloke ever reads a manual. I reckon manufacturers really need to rethink on how they write and edit them. If ya want a man to read one please put in swim wear models to hold the part or tools.

My own lesson was to always keep a few spare cover bar nuts on hand workin in the long grass drop one "its gone" n so is that saw for the day.

Or Don't ever put that saw on the ground near the truck it will always end up being a wheel chock. kinda like that husky above eh

Use rope as a piston stop when removing the flywheel/clutch on a saw with messed up spark plug threads or you will bust the piston with the metal variety. Clutch springs are cheap compared to the frustrations of trying to tune a saw with bad ones.

When I was about 13 years old I filed my fathers 038 for him while he was running the loader. He got off looked at it and got very angry, and yelled a bit. After he calmed down he thanked me for trying to help and explained that this wasn't his "chipper chain" this was his "chisel" chain, that I just wrecked by using a round file".

I learned that there were both square filed chain and round filed chain, I also learned how to file Square chisel that very same day. I also learned that my allowance didn't cover a loop of square chisel at the local Stihl dealer, 21 years later I will never forget any of it.

Buy magnetic parts trays, a box of ziplock bags and a sharpie. Takes a lot of confusion and the accident factor out of a repair job. JJuday

WTF? You didn't just pick it up, fire it up and go back to work? What's wrong with you

You wacker! Why would I when it wasn't my saw? :dizzy:

I think the chain may still be usable!

You weren't far wrong. It was amazing what was bent or broken. The bar was bent and split at the mounting end and even that is now back in use.

Here's the saw running.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2gqY5hZUGY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2gqY5hZUGY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I also learned not to run the saw without a bar and chain after just reinstalling the clutch. ( there is still a dent in the ceiling)

That sounds like an entertaining day. Better the ceiling than your noggin. The dent serves as a handy reminder...

My first 'successful' experience with working on chainsaws was when I was given a disassembled Stihl 031AV in a box. I was 14 or so. Glad it had the op manual (with the exploded view in the back). Bought a piston, ring, and a base gasket (from the dealer) and threw that sucker together. Fired right up and did a ton of cutting for me.

The cylinder was already pretty shot then, but a replacement was out of my price range at the dealer (now they're NLA). Got a lot of use out of it. Surprisingly, it still has good compression, but has been sidelined by decayed rubber bits. It's waiting on the shelf for the NOS P/C that I got a while ago off fleabay. Still gotta get the needed rubber bits (fuel pickup line, impulse line, etc). One of these days I'll throw it back together and pretty it up for some more cutting...

Back