What was the first chainsaw you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another late starter, first saw was an early ms391 I got from a swap meet for next to nothing, my current favourite, has to be my 461R

My first was an early 1990s Stihl 026. I still have it and was using it last week with the original bar and chain. My use for a saw was quite limited until I decided to heat with wood. My Husky 555 arrived in the big brown truck on Tuesday and still has not seen any fuel in it. I want to make sure I have my stuff together before I even fuel it. Still trying to figure out if I need to grease the bar tip and similar things before I spin it. It does have one of those grease holes but folks have told me the B&C oil is really all it needs. Page by page I am digesting the owner's manual.

My first was an early 1990s Stihl 026. I still have it and was using it last week with the original bar and chain. My use for a saw was quite limited until I decided to heat with wood. My Husky 555 arrived in the big brown truck on Tuesday and still has not seen any fuel in it. I want to make sure I have my stuff together before I even fuel it. Still trying to figure out if I need to grease the bar tip and similar things before I spin it. It does have one of those grease holes but folks have told me the B&C oil is really all it needs. Page by page I am digesting the owner's manual.

the sprocket will spin oil off, not in [toward bearing]. grease it.

You got it right on the first one... Na-Nye-Moe. Kind of an unusual name. ;)
Well, if you have ever had any of their famous "bars", then you will never forget the name Nanaimo. One of the most tastiest heart-attack treats you have ever tasted.

Oh ya, my first saw? The first saw I ever used was some blue-topped Homelite that my FIL had back in the early 80's. Was hard to pull over, was loud as hell and cut more than I wanted to do. My first saw was a Craftsman 36cc (?) with a 16 inch bar that I bought through the catalogue during the ice storm of '98 when there supposedly wasn't a chainsaw to be had within a hundred miles. Gave it to my son, when he bought his house, and it still starts and runs.

first saw,, I RAN,,was a OLD Clinton...near kill a 14 yr old farm boy!!! then dad got mad at the hard starting pig,,and bought a XL12,,which I still have..didn't use another saw,,still started to burn wood for house heat,,in 1974.........and bought a new 254 olympyk...

First saw was my grandfathers homelite super xl that I could barely hold at 6 or 7. In fact just found one real cheap and had to buy it. Favorite saw would be my 660 or dad's Mac 10-10. Just for nostalgia. He's still got it, fired it up Saturday after 2 years of not running. Only Mac I've ever seen that will start every time lol.

First saws i ran were an old homelite and mac i think, no idea on models, that my dad had. Got a job logging right out of a year of college, bought a husky 181se, then a 298xp for a backup, still have them both, still run like new, 181 is probly my favorite saw ever, but gotta love the pop pop pop of the 298! Between those 2 saws, and my sons 346xp he uses for climbing, there's not many situations that wouldn't be well handled! I don't do enough cutting any more to warrant buying a modern saw, my 'antiques' run way too good!

My dads 026. My friend and I ran a little firewood business on the side in high school. We'd set chokers all day then we were allowed to take the scraps off the landing.

The first saw I ran.. some sort of Poulan mini-top handle job. My dad would send me up on top of rail cars of lumber to use it to cut apart dunnage. I was 12 or 13. He still has it somewhere. I need to get it from him.

Latest posts

Back