What Was Your First Job In The Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out cutting and splitting firewood for my grandfather. My cousin or which ever helper showed up and I would cut /stack then my grandfather would help us split and load. Lots of times we would do 8 cords per day 7 days /week. I don't miss that. We used chain saws, a supersplit, and an old siliage conveyor. Delivered with an international S1900 with a gas engine 4 cords to a load.

I started out cutting and splitting firewood for my grandfather. My cousin or which ever helper showed up and I would cut /stack then my grandfather would help us split and load. Lots of times we would do 8 cords per day 7 days /week. I don't miss that. We used chain saws, a supersplit, and an old siliage conveyor. Delivered with an international S1900 with a gas engine 4 cords to a load.
Hmmm 8 cords per day 7 days lol your hired and i'll provide a tw6 :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

So then, after I made it back to cilvilization I was pretty much bushed as you could all well imagine.
Then I got a job in the great north woods, working as a cook for a spell, but I never did like it all that much and one day the axe just fell.

All this suspense and now you're going to be ambiguous?
What could you mean? You got fired? the Indians caught up with you? You went falling? or an axe just fell like off a shelf?
All this suspense and now you're going to be ambiguous?
What could you mean? You got fired? the Indians caught up with you? You went falling? or an axe just fell like off a shelf?
All the above. Lol
I was pretty much penniless when I got back to civilization and the economy was bad in 81, so I was found hitch hiking up and down Vancouver Island from mill to mill looking for any basic labourer's job off the cuff of quiting a perfecly good job on the rails.
Thats when I got my first big break and ended up with this life long curse to making a meager living out of the these God forsaken forests.

How did this thread turn into redundant diary?
So while hitchh hiking I got a ride with a Finlander who had tree spacing crew and he hired me!
I knew nothing but it suited me well. I learned and got hurt a few times. Within a year I was the Wayne Gretzky of tree spacing! Lol
Then that dried up and I went onto greener pastures.
To work in the woods all you really need to have is no sense and no feeling. Lol.

Was cutting firewood for myself--stove and cookstove. But first paying job in the woods was skidder operator for Don Neuroth--1973, upstate NY where I lived a few miles from Canada.

(Recently remembered when I was a 10-yr-old and went to a YMCA summer day camp for a week or two in the early 1960s--each of us kids carried a hatchet and a leather sheath, cutting pecker poles, building lean-tos, and god knows what else. We had a ball playing with hatchets in the woods. Couldn't do that now.)

First and last jobs working in the woods - chucking firewood in the truck in Florida and injecting undesirables (trees) with poison and limbing save trees as a teenager in the mountains of WNC - in both places toted the old gear drive MAC, metal fuel can, quart glass jar or plastic dishsoap container full of oil and ammo box tool kit; not all at once, of course. First wood related job, at 5 or 6 separating hundreds of seedlings, carrying them a water filled gallon paint can at a time, inserting them in the ground as my father worked the dibble, and watering them by hand a can at a time. Later graduated to dibble duty, but still had to do all the rest. Ron

So then, after I made it back to cilvilization I was pretty much bushed as you could all well imagine.
Then I got a job in the great north woods, working as a cook for a spell, but I never did like it all that much and one day the axe just fell.
Did you drift down to New Orleans where you was looking for to be employed? Workin for a while on a fishin boat right outside of Delacroix?

Lol, you know your Dylan and you blew my cover!
Was that tune off the Blood on the Tracks album?
John
Yep. I haven't heard it in a while my cd is all scratched to hell. I don't like Bobs politics, but I like a lot of his music. Between him and Johnny Cash I think they influenced a lot of great music for years to come.

And when finally the bottom fell out, i became withdrawn. The only thing i knew how to do was to keep on keepin on.

I wish I could have wrote those lyrics.

And I was standing on the side of the road
Rain falling on my shoes
Heading out for the East Coast
Lord knows I've paid some dues getting through
Tangled up in blue.

I do like your avatar picture John. Have you read the book?
Yes, several times. Thanks for asking. The same author wrote Sometimes a Great Notion among other titles.
Here in the Yukon, there are at least 130 fires burning and you can't see the mountains anymore, plus we have lightning storms as we speak. There goes 500 million board feet and 60 trillion cords. Lol
When they grew that, they grew lots of it! Lol

Yes, several times. Thanks for asking. The same author wrote Sometimes a Great Notion among other titles.
Here in the Yukon, there are at least 130 fires burning and you can't see the mountains anymore, plus we have lightning storms as we speak. There goes 500 million board feet and 60 trillion cords. Lol
When they grew that, they grew lots of it! Lol
I kind of figured you did. Ken Kesey was an interesting character. Jack Kerouac and those folks, then the merry pranksters.

Latest posts

Back