What was your lastest Goof Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of months ago I rebuilt a ms360. New bearings, seals, piston and rings. Went to put the plastics on and found the crank case gasket laying in the bottom of the box. Its still laying in the box along with the saw. I haven't felt like doing it all again yet.

I would just consider it practice.

I had to pull one apart about the time I went to tighten the case bolts to pull the halves together. I seem to have gotten the procedure down now.

Well it RUNS AGIAN got my 041 farmboss going again but i think i might have to get a other fuel line for it. But either than that she's alive once again

October 8, 1994- married ex wife #2.

Saw related?- Had to sell off most all my saws after the divorce.

Bill

After spending a few hours gluing and sealing plastics and the fuel tank back together after dropping my ms660 30ft, I mixed up some of the screws for the top handle. Didn't realise the ones that go in the bottom were longer than the ones in the side. I continued to mash a longer screw into the side and through the newly fixed fuel tank - then wandered why the saw was leaking more than when I started.

Oh well. Still leaking. Anyone got a spare tank? Haha.

My latest goof up was selling my slightly modified , sweet running, 262xp to my stepson so he would have something to cut up an occational branch that might blow down. Lost money on the deal but his mother is happy.

cardboard, man!

After spending a few hours gluing and sealing plastics and the fuel tank back together after dropping my ms660 30ft, I mixed up some of the screws for the top handle. Didn't realise the ones that go in the bottom were longer than the ones in the side. I continued to mash a longer screw into the side and through the newly fixed fuel tank - then wandered why the saw was leaking more than when I started.

Oh well. Still leaking. Anyone got a spare tank? Haha.

Learned this trick from my dad half a century ago. Make a drawing of the whatever you are working on, if it is small, like saw parts you can trace it. use a small nail and poke a hole in the drawing or tracing where the screws and bolts go *as you take them out*. Insert the screw or bolt in the appropriate place. Putting it back together is much easier that way, you can't mistake what goes where.

You can stop a project half way done, go away for a year if that happens for some reason, and come back and you won't screw up (pun intended) putting it back together and no need to remember it exactly. It's only *slightly* slower than dropping them all loose in a can, but much better overall, especially if you are working on unfamiliar things or have two dozen projects going at the same time (like I always wind up doing).

Learned this trick from my dad half a century ago. Make a drawing of the whatever you are working on, if it is small, like saw parts you can trace it. use a small nail and poke a hole in the drawing or tracing where the screws and bolts go *as you take them out*. Insert the screw or bolt in the appropriate place. Putting it back together is much easier that way, you can't mistake what goes where.

You can stop a project half way done, go away for a year if that happens for some reason, and come back and you won't screw up (pun intended) putting it back together and no need to remember it exactly. It's only *slightly* slower than dropping them all loose in a can, but much better overall, especially if you are working on unfamiliar things or have two dozen projects going at the same time (like I always wind up doing).

Hey Zogger i like that ideal i'll have to start using that.

Not for the squeamish..

I goofed. Hot muffler up the left forearm.

Just had to be the 3120- biggest mufflered saw besides the 084s here..

Pictures? :D

I goofed. Hot muffler up the left forearm.

Just had to be the 3120- biggest mufflered saw besides the 084s here..

Pictures? :D

Put egg whites on it and let them dry......just heard this.....suppost to allow the skin to heal and shouldn't leave a scar......

I haven't tried it myself.......

Might be worth a try???

egg whites? sorry, pure hogwash. maybe slightly better than butter because it's less insulative but, no, nothing magical in the proteins of the egg white.

about the only thing egg whites would possibly contribute would be a little bit of an occlusive dressing to prevent contamination but (at least) 3% of commercially produced raw eggs contain salmonella so thumbs down for that one as well. burned skin is a great culturing medium.

cool the burn with water if it's a small areas first degree burn. don't use ice. silvadene cream is the gold standard for burns. everyone should get a script from their doctor and keep a tin in the kitchen. i burned two fingers changing brakes on the race car a while back and tested it out - silvadene-treated finger didn't blister.

and to keep to the theme, i had a beech go backwards on me today. 20"-ish dbh, about a 50'-er...

double-wedging and i mis-struck them and they popped them out, heard a crack and it was off to the races... :bang:

it's always the last tree of the day that's the problem child, isn't it?

Silvadene is applied. Luckily a friend had some.. Need to get some to keep here for sure. Its pretty gnarly looking but coulda been alot worse.

I have earned more respect towards hot objects. And just cant imagine what these people have to live with that get severly burnt.

and to keep to the theme, i had a beech go backwards on me today. 20"-ish dbh, about a 50'-er...

double-wedging and i mis-struck them and they popped them out, heard a crack and it was off to the races... :bang:

it's always the last tree of the day that's the problem child, isn't it?

yes it alway the last tree that is the problem child. and i would love to see you run for the races i had done that a few times.

my latest goof up was replacing pump on pressure washer. Ordered pump online. Got pump and realized that pto shaft on engine was wrong size. So now im stuck waiting on place to open back up tomorrow so i can call them and verify that the crank they have for sell is indeed the correct 1. Saw related ? Been a few years actually but it was replacing fuel lines on my old 1996 husky 36 and it wouldn't crank to save my life. Pulled and pulled and pulled. Would run on prime from the bottle but not on its own. Then after about 3 hours of messing with it. I decided to go back and check everything and figured out that the fuel line was kinked between fuel tank and rest of saw. Fixed issue and she came to life. :rock:

Well, I ran over my cell phone with the tractor Friday. I'm on the phone while trying to hook a plow up. I get off the phone and lay it on the tire like a dummy. I had grease all over my hands so I didnt want to handle it to put it in the case yet.
I got to heading out the road and it hit me. Lol, I went back to find a smashed phone.

Bad thing is, I did the same thing last year while hooking up the hay mower. :msp_wink:

My latest goof up.....not checking CL daily. Hope someone here may have checked this out.

Needless to say it's sold, quite possibly 20 min after he posted.

View attachment 233718

Well, I ran over my cell phone with the tractor Friday. I'm on the phone while trying to hook a plow up. I get off the phone and lay it on the tire like a dummy. I had grease all over my hands so I didnt want to handle it to put it in the case yet.
I got to heading out the road and it hit me. Lol, I went back to find a smashed phone.

Bad thing is, I did the same thing last year while hooking up the hay mower. :msp_wink:

dang i hate when that happens. but the last phone i had is in about a thousand peices.

because i left it on my bumper of my pickup truck while i was hooking my brush hauling trailer and it got bumped off someplace.

well i had some calls come in wanting me to come out and look at them some jobs they have and they couldn't get ahold of me.

so they called the house and got a hold dad called well dad called my phone no anser then he calls my brother phone and got ahold of him. well he met me at one of my jobs and told me to call dad.

well i started looking for my phone and i tore my truck upside down and never did find it. well then i got to remebering that i was hooking my trailer when i put it on my bumper. well i wnt and looked and it wasn't there.

so i had to go out and pay for a other 300 dollar phone. so that was the goof up before i left the crank bearings out of my 041 stihl. but it's all good now i got the bearings back in and findly got it to fire off but i found air leak on it so new seals again and hopfully i don't tare these new seals like i did the other ones.

LOL, I done that to Dads 026 a long time ago...well actually he set it on the track of the trackhoe in my avatar. I didn't know it and hoped on the hoe to go back to work and mashed the 026 flatter than a pancake. He wasn't to happy, but didn't say much. I remember him standing there looking at it for about 10 seconds, then chunking it in the bore pit I was covering up :laugh::laugh:.

Back