What We Would Like To See New/Changes In Saws!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a SawStop like device that stops the chain dead upon contact with skin like they now have in the SawStop table saw.

And an automatic chain sharpener.

And hey why not electric start.

Better yet an auto pilot so I just clamp it to the tree and walk away while it cuts. :D

Some great ideas given here, and I agree with most of them. Don't need electric start, though....

My top priority would be MUCH quieter and less stink, with no additional penalties in weight or power of course.

I have a hope that the 4 stroke saw can eventually help here. But I just can't imagine there is enough market money to pay for real innovation on an item like a chainsaw. As compared to the global effort that gets put in on innovation on something like LCD displays.

I'd like to see a complete IPL come with each saw when you buy it.

Maybe time first Jim and I have agreed on anything!

Clear fuel tank would be a plus.

IPI/Service Manual need not be supplied with saw but MUST be available on line.

HP ratings and max RPM for all saws. (Rice burners and Italian)

Last edited:
no plastic motor parts
better air filter
better exhaust system (more power)
better chain oiling

I agree, but I'll go one step further and say I would like to see more metal too, not only on the chain brake handles but on the rest of the saw as well. I guess I just like the feel of the old Stihl 041's. Some of these new saws look and feel like they were made by Fisher-Price or Mattel, but then again, I do work for a large die casting company.:laugh:

It is funny while I agree the first thing anyone said was make it lighter (in most cases they do this by replacing metal with pastic) yes you could use real light metals but then the saw cost would jump.

Just my 2 cents ;)

It is funny while I agree the first thing anyone said was make it lighter (in most cases they do this by replacing metal with plastic) yes you could use real light metals but then the saw cost would jump.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Yep, you would start seeing 20lb 80cc powerheads again. You fellas that lug them around all day ready for that? :blob2:

How about making all the plastic parts out of carbon fiber, that would be strong as heck, flexible to prevent impact damage and light to boot. Might get fuzzy from abrasion tho. There's your $1500 saw. :D

Ian

The added weight of an electric start would be way more tiring at the end of the day then pulling it over a few times.

Maybe not, a while back a saw an electric start system where the starter motor was seperate from the equipment and the saw would just have a crank post or socket that a post on the motor would be inserted, not sure what company had it but it was a cool idea as for the most part you would only need the electric start the first start of the day once the saw is warm it should start easily.

Maybe not, a while back a saw an electric start system where the starter motor was separate from the equipment and the saw would just have a crank post or socket that a post on the motor would be inserted, not sure what company had it but it was a cool idea as for the most part you would only need the electric start the first start of the day once the saw is warm it should start easily.

What I was thinking too, similar to Indy cars. Connect starter to vehicle battery.

I would like to see more of an industry standard so you would not need to worry about which parts fit which saw (I am talking basic) a husky should have the same mounts as a stihl (even if there are classes, like small med. large bar mount) it would k=make things cheaper, as companies could make a lot fewer bars and larger quanities hence price should drop, same thing with chain pick a standard so all 20" large bar saw take 72 links (stihl and husky etc already match at 20" but are diferrent at other sizes. again if all 20" loop and all 24" loop had the same number of link then price should drop and it should make it easier to shop for items

within same manufactors I would like to saw part standardization so I can pul one jug and slap a new one or swap oilers from one saw to another and so on same saw did it but other don't

If we are going to dream, NIST (or equivalent) tested and certified specs (weight - dry and wet, Hp, RPM, etc.) entire set of specs and ALL saws get tested and published against same specs in the same order. make side side comparison easy. Eliminate bias provided by manufacturer paying test lab.

Last edited:
Huhhh?

Maybe time first Jim and I have agreed on anything!

Clear fuel tank would be a plus.

IPI/Service Manual need not be supplied with saw but MUST be available on line.

HP ratings and max RPM for all saws. (Rice burners and Italian)

I wasn't aware that we had ever discussed anything? At any rate...I'll try not to lose too much sleep. :laugh:

Do all of you guys actually want to pay for all of this stuff? Many of these ideas would add some cost to the saws.

I COMPLETELY agree that reinventing things like oil caps and chain tensioners is unnecessary. Some of these "no tool" ideas are for people with "no brains"

I think that companies often want to have new and different things to talk about, but with some of these ideas, the talking winds up being in four letter words.

Sticky,grippy 020 top handel

A nice grippy surface on the top handle of an 020 would be nice.I used to wrap mine with Tennis racket grip but it soon became tired.I spoke to a Sthil research and development guy in Germany years ago,it was when Husly came out with their climbing saw.He said that if conditions prevented you from holding the saw improperly you should cease work!
He's obviously never spent the day in a slimy Lime tree in the pi$$ing rain then.

a husky should have the same mounts as a stihl (even if there are classes, like small med. large bar mount) it would k=make things cheaper, as companies could make a lot fewer bars and larger quanities hence price should drop, same thing with chain pick a standard so all 20" large bar saw take 72 links (stihl and husky etc already match at 20" but are diferrent at other sizes. again if all 20" loop and all 24" loop had the same number of link then price should drop and it should make it easier to shop for items

Saw bars all function pretty much the same....why not make them mount the same??

Why do the manufacturers feel the need to make thier 24" bar take more drivers??

Pro saws at homeowner saw prices.

Quicker parts service. Have waited 2 weeks for parts for 200t's.

Bigger gas and oil tanks. Have had to send the 200t down to be refueled five times in one tree.

Sturdier chain brake handles-heck, can't we do away with them altogether and just have some internal chain brake mechanism? The saw kicks back at a certain speed, the chain locks? Hate climbing up through a dense spruce and always getting hung up.

Back