What Would It Be Like If We Were All In A Logging Camp Together?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious question. I spent the morning bucking and skidding a giant flood-felled red oak. Every time I stop to unhook, the hook is under the log, or wedged against something heavy. Do the winches y'all have on u'r real skidders keep this from happening, or is that just part of the joy of chokers?
you working with a real choker? if so you may not be hooking it right. just cuz it holds don't mean its right. i had a very lengthy discussion about this with my son once.......i don't think he got it.

oly, let it go man, you'll feel better.

Oly, you're fighting a losing battle. Do you realize you're arguing with people that are awaiting admission to the geriatric ward? It bordering on elder abuse.
These people change their diapers several times a day!
Oh oh, BRB, I need to change my camouflage pampers.

they mark smz with blue there too? lol, i can't complain, local guys do right for me.
Blue is usually used for cut. Usually. On some private sale selective cut it could be darn near any color. Probably whatever was on sale at WalMart.
The FS uses blue but it has a super secret formula with tracers, they have to keep track of inventory and empty cans, and if they find a logger with it they take him out and have him shot.
SMZ's ? Armed guards every twenty feet equipped with GPS, cameras, water turbidity kits, measuring tapes, portable toilets, and damned serious expressions. Don't go near the water. :buttkick:

Blue is usually used for cut. Usually. On some private sale selective cut it could be darn near any color. Probably whatever was on sale at WalMart.
The FS uses blue but it has a super secret formula with tracers, they have to keep track of inventory and empty cans, and if they find a logger with it they take him out and have him shot.
SMZ's ? Armed guards every twenty feet equipped with GPS, cameras, water turbidity kits, measuring tapes, portable toilets, and damned serious expressions. Don't go near the water. :buttkick:
yea they will mark cut trees with blue inside the smz. out side will be orange or what ever. one county won't even mark trees just the buffer......he says i should dam well know by now what to leave lol. i guess i do.

There was a time not long ago when the FS sent out chunk inspectors. These some how morphed into Sales Administrators. I see they are now calling themselves Foresters:buttkick: Coolers, boot dryers, next you'll need an assistant to bring you coffee :drinkingcoffee:

I think I can speak for the riggin' crew. All they want are straight chokers and lift mabe a little fried chicken sent out on the riggin' at lunch and of course a case of beer in the culvert at quitting time. Oh yea, a draw every Friday.

Yes, an assistant to bring coffee and donuts would be nice, and somebody to carry the paint and help me on and off with my vest. Gotta wear that vest too. Perhaps a catering trailer might be the way to go.

OMG no! My "choker" is 3/8ths cable with a 5/8th hook. My "skidder"
is a 20 year old land cruiser.

ah, its because you can't lift the log up........no it don't happen much with a skidder if its hooked right. some times if the tree is crooked and the choker not set right it will happen.........in which case i look for some one else to blame lol.

Boy, this logging camp is beginning to sound like a lot of hard work. Maybe I'll need that shingle after all and a Do Not Disturb sign. Those poke games ... I mean consultations take a lot of time and concentration, or so I hear.

Ron

Interesting how the paint color differs from place to place. Here blue is used on property lines. Red for smz/rmz stay out type areas. Cut trees can be marked in almost any color imaginable. Purple, green, orange etc. Usually orange though. Yellow is used for pay lines some times as well.

I'll be the chaser for a while anyway so I can learn the bucking specs.

Latest posts

Back