What would you do to a tree like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
People usually want some idea of the species of tree here. I'm not sure what this one is, but I'd like to have the resources to identify it. If you can point out one some resource, that would work for me.

You can see that the front side is flurishing, and in the photo of the back there are really no branches. The HO's buddy thinks that there might be a problem with the tree possibly being overweighted on one side, therefore it may eventually damage the house. Does anyone really think that is the case? I don't see the thing leaning at all, and the branches are all fairly short and light. Would you trim and reduce this tree for any reason besides for the extra money?

DVC00244.jpg

DVC00252.jpg

DVC00247.jpg

DVC00249.jpg

DVC00250.jpg

Below is a shot of the top quarters zoomed in some. It kind of looks like it could be lightened up some if there is any eminent danger with the tree's condition. Thinks so?
DVC00261.jpg

Below is a shot from at the foot of the tree:
DVC00254.jpg

The rest of the photos on this tree are in the following thread. Too many pix for on thread.

The second thread shows shots that may indicate some disease.

The continuation of "What Would You do to a Tree Like This?"

This is the continuation of the first thread on this tree. The server permits 8 pix per thread.

Here are pix of the only blemishes on the tree. It has something leaking out of the trunk near the ground. I think things were nailed in it. I don't there is a problem with its trunk.

If you look at one of the branches below, there is some kind of green moss on it. There are also some branches that have broken off that didn't seem to be very big. I don't see any of these branches suffering from lack of light. Could it have some disease? The HO is concerned about branches falling on people and things below such as the house that fairly close.

DVC00255.jpg

DVC00256.jpg

DVC00257.jpg

DVC00258.jpg

DVC00259.jpg

maybe a lightning wound? pics arent too clear on my end... doesnt look like any species i have seen on the east coast

that stuff leaking out is sap, blackened by the rot inside the tree... The term I know for this symptom is "Black Bark" Usually indicates a few feet or vertical rot inside the stem. Doesn't look like the tree is in bad health though, as long as it compartmentalizes and the tree stays healthy It shouldn't be an issue... deadwood is probably the biggest hazard in that one.

That trunk looks swollen to me. I`d want to know why and how much decay is in there.
:agree2:

Ants do no harm. Black streaks look like infection from soil because roots are stressed from compaction and pollution. Crown cleaning aka deadwooding and mulching and other soil work needed.

:agree2:

Ants do no harm. Black streaks look like infection from soil because roots are stressed from compaction and pollution. Crown cleaning aka deadwooding and mulching and other soil work needed.

I don't recall any ants. I should check though. What threat do ants pose, Logging22?

As far as mulching and other things that can be done to the soil, is there a limit? What other services can be done to soil in order to keep up the tree's vitality, TreeSeer?

Alinicol, do you think it is swollen, therefore the pressure build up is pushing fluid out? Should I go ahead, and do a core sample on it? How wide bit should I use? Very small? Where is a good location to hit it with the drill? Also, I'm concerned about the trunk bleeding further like it's doing from the other pocks on the trunk. Problem?

Last edited:
As far as mulching and other things that can be done to the soil, is there a limit? What other services can be done to soil in order to keep up the tree's vitality, TreeSeer?
It depends on the condition of the soil. Aeration and inoculation with compost can reverse compaction and build microbial activity.
Should I go ahead, and do a core sample on it? How wide bit should I use? Very small? Where is a good location to hit it with the drill? ...Problem?
Yes, big problem. Drilling is a last resort in determining interior health. First clean and probe the bleeding lesions. Most of these result from infections in the outer sapwood, and drilling can spread these to the heartwood so drilling can do much more harm than good.

This tree has been correctly identified as Grevillea robusta (Silky Oak).

This species leaks sap on a regular basis throughout their lives. Generally this sap is an amber colour so TS may well be correct in assuming a soil issue. These trees are members of the Proteacea family and are extremely good at gathering Phosphor in poor soils. The down side to this is fertilizing with any run-of-the-mill NPK fertilizer will overfeed the tree and create even more stress. Mulch is an easy stopgap solution but a soil test or better yet a consultation with a local arborist with good diagnostic skills is far better.

On the physical, if the tree is still excurrant (single trunk), which is its natural form, then remove deadwood bigger than 2" but do not rely on the branches to support your weight as this is generally a brittle wood, even more so when the tree is lacking water. If the tree has become decurrant (multiple tunks and spreading crown) then post photographs before you climb or better yet pass the job onto a seasoned arborist and watch him do the deed. Once topped these trees are prone to failure in unexpected places.

Drill holes in this tree at your peril. They are fragile in Australia where they are natives and even more so outside of that preferred enviroment.

I don't recall any ants. I should check though. What threat do ants pose, Logging22?

Alinicol, do you think it is swollen, therefore the pressure build up is pushing fluid out? Should I go ahead, and do a core sample on it? How wide bit should I use? Very small? Where is a good location to hit it with the drill? Also, I'm concerned about the trunk bleeding further like it's doing from the other pocks on the trunk. Problem?

Its the big black ants around here that cause a problem. They eat the whole tree! Or it seems like it anyway. Really make a mess and opens sores in the trunk and let out the black sticky stuff. Just hate it. Smells too.:givebeer:

Les

Its the big black ants around here that cause a problem. They eat the whole tree! Or it seems like it anyway.

Les
Are ants cause or effect of probem decay?
Yes grevillea not the strongest but I never broke a branch in one
but then they seldom get topped here.

Are ants cause or effect of probem decay?
Yes grevillea not the strongest but I never broke a branch in one
but then they seldom get topped here.

Ya know treeseer im not real sure. It just seems that they are always in there. Esp the scarlet and black oak. They love them.:givebeer:

Les

Ya know treeseer im not real sure. It just seems that they are always in there. Esp the scarlet and black oak. They love them.:givebeer:

Les

Aaahhh the infamous Carpenter Ant. More info 18 spec. listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_ant

They seem to really love finding a stressed areas as an Entry point, damaged limbs (cut or naturally broke), crotches, and even roots.

Witnessed them carving out the heart of some trunks working their way to upper limbs internally. Be careful with them and examine the tree well before working on it.

Aaahhh the infamous Carpenter Ant. More info 18 spec. listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_ant

They seem to really love finding a stressed areas as an Entry point, damaged limbs (cut or naturally broke), crotches, and even roots.

Witnessed them carving out the heart of some trunks working their way to upper limbs internally. Be careful with them and examine the tree well before working on it.

Thats them. Little b******. Cant seem to get away from them. Thats the way of the Ozarks. Big trees and black ants.:givebeer:

Les

Carpenter ants don't seem to be able to survive here. It's fairly dry and baren this way. I'm sure I didn't see any of these ants on that tree.

Alright, I'm going to study up on the compost treatment you specified, TreeSeer. Probing the pocks in the trunk to find decay, dead wooding, and laying down some mulch are on my list. How big of a radius should I lay mulch down? The tree 70-80ft and about 26 inches in diameter.

Thanks for the tree ID, OutofMyTree.

Latest posts

Back