What's a decent bush knife?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain old K-Bar is hard to beat for a utility/field knife.

The old Gerber Command II was also excellent, but sadly they discontinued the things.
Just as well seeing as how Gerber went to china for production in the last many years.
Sometimes the old Command II can be found for a reasonable price though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have one of those survival knives with the bubble compass ,that screws off,with the two key rings,and matches with wire saw in the handle.

I'd leave the knife at home and carry the water ;-)

If you haven't bought a knife, chances are you don't need one. You'd have bought one already otherwise. If you're going to get one, get one you'll carry everywhere. I'm guessing you're not going to carry a 2' machette down to the mall. Or even out of the truck. Actually, you probably won't carry anything that isn't a folder. A folder will slip into your pocket, and weighs nothing. You can carry it everywhere they don't have metal detectors, and nobody will notice. Get a spyderco. You can't cut a forest down with it, but I'm guessing you've got a chainsaw. I'd go for a delica, or a centofante. They both have the nice balance of being small and light enough to carry every day, large enough to be useful, and sharp enough to do everything form open a letter to dice a tomato to feature in a steven seagal movie. The price is about right too.

Shaun

Tom Halloran Knives

Tom makes some really nice knives. Pricey but they're hand made. I have a couple of the Grunts- indestructable knife!
If you look in the photo gallery, the pic titled 'simplicity' is me. Also, the pic of the knife and a mortar round is from me.

I'd leave the knife at home and carry the water ;-)

If you haven't bought a knife, chances are you don't need one. You'd have bought one already otherwise. If you're going to get one, get one you'll carry everywhere. I'm guessing you're not going to carry a 2' machette down to the mall. Or even out of the truck. Actually, you probably won't carry anything that isn't a folder. A folder will slip into your pocket, and weighs nothing. You can carry it everywhere they don't have metal detectors, and nobody will notice. Get a spyderco. You can't cut a forest down with it, but I'm guessing you've got a chainsaw. I'd go for a delica, or a centofante. They both have the nice balance of being small and light enough to carry every day, large enough to be useful, and sharp enough to do everything form open a letter to dice a tomato to feature in a steven seagal movie. The price is about right too.

Shaun

Excellent point! I carry a spyderco endura everyday.

Thanks guys for the input... Now I want them all!

Good starting point to start shopping.

If I had to only gt 1 knife I'd go with a leatherman.. Handy little buggers and the higher end ones have great blades made from quality steel!

I really miss my big cauliflower knife; but as a replacement I spent my $29.99 on a Bear Grylls Parang Machete and really really like the thing.
I use it chopping up weeds, vines, brush, bark off logs, and whatever else i want to chop up. For Chinese crap I have to say it holds up well.

You need a Gerber knife, 'cause it's Bear Grylls approved, and maybe a Swiss Army knife, 'cause it's MacGyver approved.:rock:

On a side note, I am disappointed with my two Shrade (sp?) knives I bought a hundred or so years ago as they broke. They were guaranteed for life, but apparently the company wasn't. Now I just buy cheapish knives and aren't too concerned about warrantys.

Last edited:
So many to recommend..
Strider, Randall, Microtech, Chris Reeve, Busse..................
All the great brands mentioned....
Cost effective, strong well built, durable and reliable you cannot go wrong with a Cold Steel Fixed Blade and Spyderco Folder..

I really miss my big cauliflower knife; but as a replacement I spent my $29.99 on a Bear Grylls Parang Machete and really really like the thing.
I use it chopping up weeds, vines, brush, bark off logs, and whatever else i want to chop up. For Chinese crap I have to say it holds up well.
Wow , just saw this. Kind of ironic with your screen name. :D

Gerber Recalls Over 119,000 Parang Machetes

Well being a former B-1B and KC-135R mechanic, as well as competitive shooter I usually have my Leatherman or my Air Ranger with me. When I'm wearing a LBV/vest I usually have one of 2 different Ka-Bars on them but I like the looks of this knife: B.O.B KNIFE and may end up nuying one and then making a better sheath for it...

SoG Fixation Bowie

Ok, who bought all the SoG Fixation Bowie knives????? Da*n, I need to keep my mouth shut until after I get one when I find a smoking deal on something...:msp_rolleyes: :msp_biggrin:

Back