What's a fair price for a new 346 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind paying the msrp price, but we can get the saws cheaper in the U.S. then here. Funny thing is the Oregon factory is in Guelph, but yet I can get the chain & bars cheaper from Baileys then here in Canada? Also my partner and I have over 25 saws together, and I usually go to the states quite a few times a year, and when I do I get what I need. I am all for supporting my local dealers for some stuff, but the saws are way over priced here! I do support quite a few sponsors on here though, and am glad I can because I have been happy with every purchase so far!

My post wasn't directed at you. I don't blame ya when there is that much of a difference. By all means, if you've got a way to buy cheaper from another source, do so. I know I do.

I was gearing my reply towards the OP and trying to beat a better price out of a saw dealer. Not worth it, IMHO.

I understand wanting to get the best deal, but we all need to remember the dealer has to make money to keep his doors open and provide the services that he/she does. I don't understand why saws in Canada are so much higher unless it cost the mfgs more money to do business it Canada, higher import duties, taxes, labor, shipping,etc. All these cost unfortunately get passed on to the consumer.
Dealers who give stuff away don't last very long. I've had a long relationship with my dealer 30+ years, he says if he had to make it on the profit from new saw sales he would close in a week. He makes very little margin on saws, and makes it up on bar oil,chain, files, bars, etc with his shop turning the majority of the profit.
I like the way he deals with me, he'll show me his cost right on his ordering screen and we agree on a reasonable profit, it usually works out to a 15-20 percent discount depending on the item. He does this knowing that he basically gets all our business or he'll get the first shot at it. By him working with me like this it doesn't pay to look anywhere else.

Just remember the lowest price isn't always the best deal long term. When I have something happen to a saw I can't fix, mine goes to the front of the line in the shop, he knows we depend on them for income, and being a loyal customer, mine gets fixed while I wait. At times that can be priceless.

If I were you I'd just get the MS 261. You already said you have a tight relationship with your dealer so what's stopping you from getting a 261? Did you hear it's junk? The 346 XP is overrated, there I said it. I mean that in the sense that people exaggerate about anything whether it's a good or bad thing and blow it out of proportion. It's the same thing with the MS 361, it's a great model but it's overrated. Whether you get the 261 or 346, they're both top notch.

I'm curious as to why shop Hsuky when you seem to have good relationship with the Stihl guy?

I ain't a Stihl head, but that relationship with a GOOD dealer is worth more than anything.

Great question. I ask myself the same thing all the time. All I can say is money isn't everything. He has given me good prices and is usually ready to help. I was thinking along the lines of the 362/261, then I handled the 346 and I liked it. Felt nice in my hands, and the dealer was a good guy as well. I havn't decided but am starting to lean a bit.

I really dont understand the 'I will not pay msrp' mentality. It's a $500 item... Seriously? I'm always open for a price break, but I dont haggle such minor purchases for a 5% break. If you're a pain in the ass when purchasing a saw, the dealer will remember that when you come in for chains, oil or parts.

I understand times are hard, believe me. But for $25, I'd rather be the 'good' customer that gets minor breaks on the smaller items everytime I come in. Just think about it.

Posted on Tapatalk from my Evo Shift

Evan, $100 is not a minor issue. I'm not trying to keep someone from making money, and I'm willing to pay a little more for great customer service, and being able to establish a relationship with a reputible dealer. For example: I was looking at the 441cm at a near by stihl dealer. After spending 45 minutes discussing saws we got to price. He said he wanted the MSRP, I think $910?, He followed up with we no what we want to make and that's it. I then called the dealer whom I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of machines and he gave me a price of $810. I of coarse am looking out for my best interest. I spend alot of money and do in return expect alot back. I am never a pain in the ass when purchasing anything, well maybe when buying a car, but what I am running into more and more is that the dealers are being a pain in the ass. I just want a new saw!

If I were you I'd just get the MS 261. You already said you have a tight relationship with your dealer so what's stopping you from getting a 261? Did you hear it's junk? The 346 XP is overrated, there I said it. I mean that in the sense that people exaggerate about anything whether it's a good or bad thing and blow it out of proportion. It's the same thing with the MS 361, it's a great model but it's overrated. Whether you get the 261 or 346, they're both top notch.

I din't hear anything bad about stihl saws. I know everyone has their favorite. I don't know if the 346 is over rated and I don't know about the 261 being junk. I will say however that it can be tough navigating through what is opinion and what is fact. I do rely on everyones expertise on this site to make the best decision possible as I keep my equipment a long time if I can. You guys have run these machines every which way but loose and I deeply respect the proffesional opinions. Why not the stihl? Good question.

Looking from here, saw prices in the US is so rediculously low, that I have a hard time relating to the issue - so just disregard me!

Btw, I miss the old "spell check" feature........:msp_biggrin:

My post wasn't directed at you. I don't blame ya when there is that much of a difference. By all means, if you've got a way to buy cheaper from another source, do so. I know I do.

I was gearing my reply towards the OP and trying to beat a better price out of a saw dealer. Not worth it, IMHO.

K thanks

Back