Whats going on with all the yellow jackets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howel07264

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats going on with all the yellow jackets this year? Been doing stump work for years but can"t remember seeing so many of these little pest. Got tagged several times yesterday and the pain is still there. Is it as bad nationwide as it is in the south?http://economystumpremoval.com/

Not as many as normal for this time of year. Haven't seen too many red hornets, either. Those are the territorial SOB's that I hate. Been stung by four yellow jackets and one red hornet. I'd take another four yellows before I'd go for another red. The red left me bleeding down my chest with all of the tremendous pain of a super sting plus a plug of skin missing from my body. No fun at all. The yellows seem to go after me when I'm on my way down my rope. The red buzzed me when I was clearing brush from around its home in a laundry line "T" pole.

Not sure how bad they are here in jersey but my 3 year old girl got stung at least 12 times yesterday

I was just noticing this today as well.. They had swarmed all over a few cars in the parking lot. Really strange.:confused:

My experience is that higher than normal heat brings them out and makes them considerably more aggressive. They are stressed and more aggressive in protecting the colony.

They've been real sparse up in these parts this year. . . Must just be you southern guys get'n them bad this go-round.

My experience is that higher than normal heat brings them out and makes them considerably more aggressive. They are stressed and more aggressive in protecting the colony.

Well its definitely been hotter than normal in the Northern VA area this week. I know it certainly makes alot of the humans around considerably more edgy.. LOL..

Yellow jackets don't peak in the northeast until mid-late August, that's when their nests get to max size for the season and you see more around.
-moss

Latest posts

Back