What's inside the Might O Ninety?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be acceptable piston clearance in a 66mm bore?

nice saw Brad i wish i had the extra coin to buy that saw when u get it finished the ports looked real nice were they as cast if so they were as good as i have ever seen that HF cleaner does the job spotless on piston clearance on that big 66mm bore if u are refering to squish i would think .025 to .030 but that is just a guess as i have never been around a 090
jnl:clap:

I noticed the ultrasonic cleaner in the first few pics. I was going to ask how you like it and how well it works. That's next on my tool list. I end up with a few carbs that I think could benefit from one of those.

What a saw. How much does one of those 090s weigh? I for one would not want to wrestle that bad boy all day. That one sure seems to be in very good condition, thanks for taking time to document this build.

that's a HOSS!

Thanks for the pics. Long distance, the next best thing to being there.
Looks like the US cleaner from HFreight worked nicely. Did you add cleaner
or just run it on the heated cycle? Perhaps when you get this hoss up and
running you'll post a video of a cut. Thanks again

So am I right to think that the outer race is pressed into the case and the bearing and cage just slides in? BTW, that thing cleaned up nicely. Good work.

8 thou sounds a bit loose Brad,
But like i said i don't have a manual. It
would be nice to compare a new piston to
your piston and see the difference in diameter.
I have a new 66mm piston and cylinder for a
contra i can measure tomorrow if you like.

Lee

Alright, I gotta ask. The saw halves fit in the cleaner, or did you use the tried and true dishwasher?

Awesome job so far on a true beast of a saw. I'll be watching.

P.S. Where did you get the HF cleaner, and what'd it run you? You may have already sold me on one, from the looks of that carb alone!

8 thou sounds a bit loose Brad,
But like i said i don't have a manual. It
would be nice to compare a new piston to
your piston and see the difference in diameter.
I have a new 66mm piston and cylinder for a
contra i can measure tomorrow if you like.

Lee
I would appreciate that. The thing of it is, rings will cost me $32, and I can get a new OEM piston with rings for $100.

Alright, I gotta ask. The saw halves fit in the cleaner, or did you use the tried and true dishwasher?
I cleaned them in my parts washer with paint thinner/mineral spirits in it. Too big for the ultrasonic cleaner.

P.S. Where did you get the HF cleaner, and what'd it run you? You may have already sold me on one, from the looks of that carb alone!
$48 at HF. $20 off on sale and 20% coupon.

Brad I could almost kiss you.... I thought you were going to paint it :) ... Looks awsome just cleaned up.. You always do an awsome job with the pics and info for us guys around here..

I measuered my Contra S cylinder and piston and came
up with 2.600 bore and 2.596 piston diameter. 4 thou clearance. For such a big bore i would have thought it would have a bit more but i guess not.
These are new oem parts i measured.

Lee

Back