What's on your bench? 08-13-2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh, nothing on my bench today. I have a house to scrape and paint, 40 bales of hay to stack, and I have to change the oil on my wife's car. No wood cutting or splitting happening either. I'll just pretend I'm doing something fun.

Nice saws!

It was noon, and you're pecking at the keys?

....(I'll rep you in a minute, even if your wife did pay me to rag on you....)

It was noon, and you're pecking at the keys?

....(I'll rep you in a minute, even if your wife did pay me to rag on you....)
Aww, I was just takin' a break! Thanks for the rep. She had to go out for a bit and I cheated and quick tested out the MS4018 air box mod I did. Now don't tell!

Whats on my bench 8-13-2012?

Christ man, I cant remember what was on bench this morning, how do you expect me to remember 5 days ago???:msp_wink:??

I got an 090 getting a paint job, piston, and carb. And a husqvarna 266 getting a piston and a good cleaning.

My bench is way to full.
Got a few Homelites that needsome attention.
A 750 with ignition issues but i think i fixed it.
A 9-26 geardrive just needed a carby tune.
A 2100 that needs a bit of work.
An Alpina 120 neaded a bit of fuel system rebuild.
And a Pioneer P62 that i haven't touched yet.
As well as a full blown restoration on a 1968 Mercury Cougar.
Not to mention what i do during the regular day job.

Lee

My 385xp has finally been put back on the bench...er...tailgate of the truck. It's been apart and partially reassembled for about 6 months. Was going good till I ran out of sun...

Where to start????

Oh yeah.....

This is on my bench....

Husqvarna395XP3001.jpg

This just came off of Jon's bench......

PioneerP50048.jpg

And this is back on......It's getting gas in the oil tank.

2100017.jpg

I'll be starting to put an 084 back together tomorrow......

I don't know what it is about that Pioneer, but if you don't quit posting pictures of it, I'm gonna get lung cancer.:D

My 385xp has finally been put back on the bench...er...tailgate of the truck. It's been apart and partially reassembled for about 6 months. Was going good till I ran out of sun...

Sunlight? Hahahaha. I just put on some headphones, went out into the garage and cranked a saw up and nailed it a WOT and smoked out the garage while tuning it.

Sunlights an amenity, not a necessity!

Chains, dull ones, lots of em. Sometimes I wonder where they all come from. Other times I know. My last CL saw score came with a box of chains.

Oh, and a cold beer to ease the sharpening process.

Nothing special. Moved the Husky 136 off the bench. Started and finished the Mini-Mac 35 (a new favorite!). All it took was a thorough cleaning, new fuel and some carb adjustments. Fired to life after 5 pulls. Awesome sounding saw and runs like a raped ape! Very impressive saw. This saw even has a cheesy push button "chain sharpener". I won't be holding my breath that it works. Another different thing on this saw is the chain. Poulan is turning out to be a disappointment. Might be too far gone to repair. Minimally has a scored piston and bad fuel lines / filter. I guess two out of three saws running isn't bad.

The awesome Min-Mac 35

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

NOthing exciting this time...

Rebuilt the carb on one of the SXL-AO's today (yes Randy, that SXL-AO). It'd just started running 'off' one day. Turns out the pump diaphragm took a dump, and there was a buncha crap built up on the internal screen. A simple strip, a bath in the USC, and reassembly with a K10-SDC kit and it's back in business. Just wish Homelite had made those carb screws about .125" shorter. It's a tight fit getting those buggers back in there. The 'flat reed' XL-12 and SXL-12 saws (and the XL-15 I did a few weeks ago) are much easier in that regard. Obviously, the carb box (and AF) dimentions were finalized with the XL-12, and the later 'pyramid reed' setup was shoehorned in there afterwards. Cleaned the saw up (had been a while) and threw a new loop of LGX on the saw. Now it's ready for the next stage in it's life journey....:popcorn:

On the bench now is a friend's Bolens Thrifty 3010. Don't see many of those. That's a 1960 vintage 'farmer/consumer' saw with a Power Products AH47 engine and AV. Rubber buffers around the handlebar mounts. High tech stuff. The VERY crusty Tillotson HC (gravity fed version of an HL, with no pump section) is apart and bathing in the USC right now. Reassembly with a DG-5HL kit (minus the pump diaphragm) and a new fuel line should have it making NOISE tomorrow. That dang saw has nothing more than a short, open 'megaphone' for a 'muffler'. You can look right through to the piston from the outside. Putting an 18" bar from an old Homlelite on it (same mount) along with a matching loop of used but useable 7/16" chipper. Don't see that stuff much anymore either. It's just going to be a museum/demo piece. I'll shoot a few pics of that saw tomorrow.

Next on the bench tomorrow will be my Homelite 1050A. Some prior owner stripped one of the manifold bolt holes on the crankcase. Found that one when I removed the manifold to make carb screw access MUCH easier when I rebuilt the Walbro SDC on that saw (I prefer Tillotson HL's, but that carb setup will stay for now). Going to remove the carb/manifold/carb box/spacer and helicoil that bugger. The saws' a great runner now, but I'm not comfortable running it with only one good manifold bolt. Don't want it to air leak and lean out while I'm cutting some big oak.

I'll squeeze in a couple vehicle oil changes tomorrow too. Busy day. Plenty of other saws in line (Jonsereds 621 that just needs a cleanup and a carb kit, Homelite 750 that'll FINALLY go back to the owner when I get some crank seals in, a Mall 12-A in a bin, etc). They can wait 'til the next weekend(s) that I can devote to wrenching on saws. Got a GTG planning meeting next Sunday afternoon....

Last edited:
Nothing special. Moved the Husky 136 off the bench. Started and finished the Mini-Mac 35 (a new favorite!). All it took was a thorough cleaning, new fuel and some carb adjustments. Fired to life after 5 pulls. Awesome sounding saw and runs like a raped ape! Very impressive saw. This saw even has a cheesy push button "chain sharpener". I won't be holding my breath that it works. Another different thing on this saw is the chain. Poulan is turning out to be a disappointment. Might be too far gone to repair. Minimally has a scored piston and bad fuel lines / filter. I guess two out of three saws running isn't bad.

The awesome Min-Mac 35

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

AWESOME! I'm about to tackle one of those myself. Ive taken it apart and cleaned it and put it back together, and the fuel lines look good, Im pretty sure that all i have to do now is clean out the carb, which i have never done before.

Well, lets see...I've got an 028 that just got new crank bearings, seals, lines and piston that is almost back together.
There was a 288 that just got a new p&c and seals, lines.
and the latest arrival is a 372xp that needs a fuel tank and a couple other odds/ends, also needs a good once over.

Latest posts

Back