What's On Your Bench? Nov 20th 2014

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pair of Poulan 5200's that run but need carb work. One is also missing a vibration mount and so the saw may need a new case.
Haven't had much time to work on them in the last week though.

20141114_080624.jpg

I need to try the Hyway 359 jug again.

Great power but the plating flakes easy when you are porting them. Go slow with the carbide, finish the last 0.020" with a diamond burr, and put a healthy chamfer on the ports. So far so good.

I did a little welding last night. Tonight I'll be cleaning up the welds and putting the cases back together.

IMG_3647_zpsc947c51c.jpg

IMG_3650_zpsf9c8c0e3.jpg

IMG_3652_zps46f3e88b.jpg

Great power but the plating flakes easy when you are porting them. Go slow with the carbide, finish the last 0.020" with a diamond burr, and put a healthy chamfer on the ports. So far so good.

I did a little welding last night. Tonight I'll be cleaning up the welds and putting the cases back together.
That came out great !!
What settings and what filler rod ?

The ones I ported were bad to have a big patch of plating peel off. Has that issue been resolved?

I mentioned it to watsonr when I had the issue with the HyWay 359 cylinders I got from him. I don't know if anything became of it as I have not had another 359 build since then. But there was a definite adhesion problem like the cylinder wasn't etched before plating. It's too bad since the ports and finish looked great and out of the box it was a bit of improvement over a stock 359 cylinder. I wouldn't hesitate to use one in stock form but you have to be uber careful when porting one.

What should be on my bench? A running 026 and 036 that I drove over an hour each way for only to have them sold 2 minutes before I got there. 100$ each. Darn traffic! Anyway, nothing right now.

OK, I don't have any more pure, I switched to 2% Lanthanated ........................... should be the same !
Just picked up some 1/16 gas nozzles and cups for my -18 .................. woo hooo !!!!!!!!

OK, I don't have any more pure, I switched to 2% Lanthanated ........................... should be the same !
Just picked up some 1/16 gas nozzles and cups for my -18 .................. woo hooo !!!!!!!!

If you have a square wave tig you can use 2% lanthanated or ceriated on aluminum to help control the arc more. On a sine wave you can only use it at really low amperage, the rest of the time you have to use pure tungsten.

I used an 18 torch of a long time but I recently got new cables and hoses for the my ailing 20 torch and started using it since I'm not welding above 250 amps much anymore. It's much easier to maneuver.

Today is a special day for me........on this day in 2005 I walked into a Narcotics Anonymous meeting and picked up a white key tag. Since that day, I've never touched another mind altering substance. What a long strange trip it's been.......

I can honestly say......that program works, if you work it. If anyone reading this ever wants to talk recovery....just send me a PM. :)

We keep what we have only by giving it away. :rock:

OK....on this special day.......on my work bench.

View attachment 380787

Six 1122 jugs to be ported. Three of them will go on 064s built from NOS parts.

What is on yours?
I see my cyl in the bunch
Any pics of the 64,s all lined up ready for there top ends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back