Whats the best all around stihl chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "3" can be removed from the chain.
1.) 72DL loop
2.) bench grinder
3.) pair of channel locks/vise grips
4.) 6mins

END RESULT: RSC3 - C3 = RS

Actually, you remove only the "3", but the new (current) RS is the same chain as RSC.

They do their best to confuse the costumers! :msp_wink:

I personally have begun to use Super Klassic (RSK) when sharp it is the closest I've come to Super Klassic square ground (RSLK) but as a dealership we sell more RM (semi chisel) than any chain we sell it prolly 7 loops to 3 chisel loops (RS). We sharpen dozens of loops of chain everyday, Stihl is far more conisistent than Oregon imho.
As a user in the wood business I've tried them all trying to save as much as possible, Oregon,Windsor and Woodland Pro, even before I was involved with the dealership I went to Stihl, it just holds its edge much longer,thicker chrome,more sharpenings, if you want a soft easy to sharpen chain get some Oregon 22lpx, it just not doesn't give you the chain life. The "new designations" are to make it easier going forward, sorry Troll gets so easily confused.

One thing you won't find on Oregon chain is the advanced system of oil delivery by concave depressions in the drive links.The tiny little dimples or indentations on both sides of the drive links will allow for a 10% increase in chain service life and will not only carry more oil, but will allow for less dirt accumulation built up in the bar increasing bar life.

The C designation is being dropped from all chain to standardize the ID system, with a few exceptions all chains will have the comfort feature standard if you question it just look on the cutter it will have a small C stamped in it,

pitch markings are changing as well it will be marked on the depth ga 1=1/4" 2=.325 3=3/8 4=.404
6=3/8 picco 7=1/4 picco

I can't find the LGX listed anywhere in .325 .050 it keeps coming up LPX if thats the case is the LPX as good as the LGX chain .

I prefer RM (semi-chisel) in that it doesn't dull as quickly as RS. RS and RSK both appear to sharpen with a round file( I can't see much difference between these), and RSLK is square ground. None of these have the safety bumper links.

Do you have a Stihl catalog to look at their various chain types?

X2. I like both the RS and the RM (yellow link). The RS cuts faster but the RM stays sharper longer. The problem I have in my area is that none of the dealerships want to sell or order or say they can't order the RM (yellow link) . They all want to sell you the RS or the safety RM3. I had to call all over the state to get someone who finally had the yellow link RM in stock and could order more for me when I want it.

Now what about oregon is it available in .325 LGX or only LPX and what is the difference . I'm trying to find something better than carlton and not as pricey as stihl .And want to go with semi chisel .

Now what about oregon is it available in .325 LGX or only LPX and what is the difference . I'm trying to find something better than carlton and not as pricey as stihl .And want to go with semi chisel .

LPX is the best .325 chisel chain out there (slightly better than RS/RSC), and there are no LGX in .325.

If you want semi chisel it is about BPX and RM/RMC, but I have never used any of them in .325 (I don't use much semi-chisel).

Thanks for the info, but now it looks like the BPX semi chisel is a low kickback chain ! would it be still considered a pro chain design and not interfere with cutting speed.Anyone using the BPX chain .

OREGON brand 20BPX, 21BPX, 22BPX .325" chainsaw chain

I have notised that, and was a bit surpriced, as the older BP was not classified as "green". As I basically don't use semi chain (except the NK stuff), I haven't looked further into it.

If you are worried about it, just use RM/RMC!

I use RSK exclusively on he bigger saws and rm3 on y smaller saws. Have used Oregon chains before only cause that's all they had and I needed the chain now.

I use RSK exclusively on he bigger saws and rm3 on y smaller saws. Have used Oregon chains before only cause that's all they had and I needed the chain now.

Your problem (the RM3 I mean)! :msp_wink:

Why chisel on the large saw, and semi-chisel on the small ones?

Last edited:
So whats the verdict on oregon BPX , any good or to much anti kickback features . running out of ideas .

Seems like there isn't the options out there for good quality .325 chain like there is for 3/8 chain , I'm going try the stihl RM , thanks for all the info .

Last edited:
Stihl chains last longer and stay sharper than Oregon chains and the price here isn't that much different between the two.
Not true on the price. Stihl chain costs at least $100 more than Oregon for a 100' reel. That's a buck a foot higher. You can get Oregon chain for less than $3 a foot without looking hard. Most Stihl chain in bulk is over $4 a foot.

If anyone here can get new Stihl chain for less than $4 a foot, please tell me where.

Oregon can be had for $2.80 a foot delivered and stihl about $3.30 a foot.

Not true on the price. Stihl chain costs at least $100 more than Oregon for a 100' reel. That's a buck a foot higher. You can get Oregon chain for less than $3 a foot without looking hard. Most Stihl chain in bulk is over $4 a foot.

If anyone here can get new Stihl chain for less than $4 a foot, please tell me where.

Each area of the country is a little different in prices

Last 3/8's roll that I had here came from Baileys; I made loops for people and sold them (last summer) I personally didn't like that chain

Last summer I bought probably 14 loops (all different brands and style of chain off of rolls from a saw shop) for use on three different classes of saws that's why I know about the prices here (PNW)

I Need Help

LGX VS LPX What is the difference? I can get the LPX for $10 a loop for 20". Is it a good deal?

LGX VS LPX What is the difference? I can get the LPX for $10 a loop for 20". Is it a good deal?

The LPX has the little ramps but its shorter than the raker so it isn't really a factor and LGX doesn't have any ramps at all.

Yes i would say $10 is a good deal.

Latest posts

Back