Whats the best way to buy a load of oak logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy alot of logs to build a couple cabins. I dont know exactly what is should be paying for them, I would like logs around 30inches around +/- ( as if u were measuring your waist) and in 12ft lengths. What should I expect to be paying? Thank you.

Maybe if you know somebody in southwest missouri who sells logs or something that would be helpful.

Heath I'm not sure what style of cabin your wanting to build but Gasteneau (sp?) log homes here in Missouri sells some really nice packages for log homes and all they use is Oak. 6x6 or 8x8 cants I can't remember which exactly but they make beautiful homes. They have some on display on I 70 between Coulumbia and Kingdom City is you are ever that far north.

Here's their site, it doesn't do the homes justice:

http://www.oakloghome.com/about.htm

I am wanting to hand hewn a couple of cabins like people used to do. I am going to experiment with oak for one and then cedar. I will look up some logging companies.

I'd contact loggers in your area. Why oak for a cabin?

I really like the way they look and I am building the cabins for my parents, it has been there dream and that is the type of wood they want for their cabin.

We have the oldest standing log barn in my county. But it may not be standing for long if I dont replace some of the logs. I figured it would be cheaper to go for all of the same type logs if I end up buying alot of the same type of wood.

I need 30 12ft logs that are 30inch around just to fix the barn. And another 100+ for the cabins. I have also thought about using poplar but I dont know how good of wood that really is.

There are a lot of differing opinions on poplar, but I find most come from the fact that it's a poor firewood. It's nice for woodworking and I was told that it's extremely strong once it dries.

My barn has 20 poplar pillars (about 12" dia. and debarked) supporting it. The recommendation to use poplar came from several barn builders in my area, but I never actually researched the subject.

I be interested in hearing about poplar's structural qualities too if anyone can add something.

Poplar

Birdman: Poplar is very plentiful around here(MD). From my experience it is a good siding board for barns, also is strong enough for load bearing beams, but less strong than oak, hickory, ash. You don't want it to have ground contact, as it rots very easy. It also is subject to dry rot if it gets wet intermitantly. There is also the problem of powder post beetle infestation. The best way to prevent this is to be sure the wood is as dry as you can get it before the egg laying season of mid to late summer. From my experience ppb damage is worst on the north sides of barns, in larger timbers, and in those with ground or foundation contact. The thinner you make poplar siding, the better. I think it freezes the larva in the winter:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Back