Whats the best way to get comfortable up high in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sometimes i feel i dont climb high enough cause nerves start to set in on certain trees.
Is there anyway to get more used to being way up in the tree ?

Maybe it's not good to get too comfortable up there? It's a high risk environment especially when you add a chainsaw to the mix. The most comfortable guys are those who climb on drugs, who are also the most accident prone.

Spend more time in trees. Climb when not working and practice more "extreme" moves with an extra safety line with a ground person belay. AND don't get so comfortable that you get careless.

You have to trust yourself and trust your equipment. Be sure you're tied in somewhere that can support you, not only your weight but the shock load should you slip and be caught by your climbing line or during a swing. This is one thing I think about a lot since making the transition to spikeless climbing. When I'm on spikes at no point is my weight ever supported by something I hadn't visually inspected. Make thorough preclimb inspections being aware of all the signs of potential decay or structural defects. Inspect your gear rigorously and religiously. Tie in twice when cutting, making sure your secondary tie in is not done in such a way you would cut both lines if you happen to cut one.

I'm hoping that some of the advice you get will also work for getting comfortable up high in an airplane.
I'm a gutted quivering human wreck in a plane. More flights and less Mayday episodes on TV would help, just like more time in a tree would/will benefit you.

Try taking up a deck chair, and a few cold beers.

It's one of those things... It seems you've either got a head for it or you haven't. Plenty of guys are ok with dense tall trees, because they feel 'sheltered', but totally freak out and feel very exposed on tall single leaders like big palms. Keeping your head game under control is the most important thing in climbing. Experience helps a lot, but having someone climb with you is a huge benefit if they are good. I've done climbs with guys in past, and just shown them different things - adjusting their angles on spikes, using triangulated tie ins for spikeless, more secure work positioning methods.

the joy of getting down and cash in your palm should always outweigh the worry while aloft

Me the trip to the top not a bother as i strip away the limbs i feel secure safe.
Its when the last top limbs off and I start blocking down with my rope and flip line belt hooked high close to the wood and saw buzzing closer that i wonder WTF
at 20 or 60 foot this can unnerve me for moments pause then once back in the groove that should go away

Look down while rappelling, the tree will not fail (unless it is really dead) always inspect your tie in point, especially when climbing SRT. Learn to trust your gear. Learn to trust your gear..learn to trust your gear.....

Some guys just aren't cut out for this kind of work. I've seen more than a few climbers really lose their head in bigger trees, and in the bigger scheme of things even huge trees aren't really all that tall. You see them in smaller trees, or low down in bigger ones and they're climbing confidently, good stance, very secure. As they get higher up the technique starts getting real sketchy! They're moving a lot slower, second guessing themselves, hugging the tree, feeling the fear. It's very much a head game, physically there's no difference doing the work 150' off the ground than there is doing it 30' off the ground.

I started out rock climbing, and then moved into rescue and industrial access before becoming a tree climber. I love being in big trees. Feel much better being up there than on the ground. Love really hanging out up there, being way out on a limb with a lot of exposure. It's a great feeling! The 'getting up there' part is not as enjoyable as it used to be, but I'm getting older and heavier! I can see a wraptor in my not too distant future. There are days when I feel less heavy though, and those days the climbing is more of a pleasure. When you've got energy to burn you climb strongly, frittering it away and almost laughing. Brings a smile to your face for sure! Days like that I whip the hand saw out more, just feels right.

Love the feeling of exposure being up a 1000' cliff face, nothing to really hold on to and the rope is only there as a backup. It brings a pleasant momentum to consciousness and focuses the spirit in a way that I've only experienced sailing. Certainly living in the moment, and very much absorbed. Your mind won't be off multi tasking, wondering what to have for dinner etc. Same kinda feeling hanging off the side of a 60 story sky scraper, very much a blank canvas!

Maybe so but arbor culture is an industry that it does not pay to be ignorant. To succeed you must know your surroundings and realize the
Inherent dangers associated with it.

Stay in smaller trees ( 30' ,40',50' etc ) and work your way up from there. No need grabbing the big ones right away, they will be there when you are ready. As your in those smaller trees find yourself some steady limbs to go out on to build up confidence. I also believe there is a difference between being comfortable, being cocky, and being careless. When you lose the fear or respect is when something will bite you.

Look down while rappelling, the tree will not fail (unless it is really dead) always inspect your tie in point, especially when climbing SRT.

Maybe so but arbor culture is an industry that it does not pay to be ignorant. To succeed you must know your surroundings and realize the
Inherent dangers associated with it.

Neither of those statements really makes any sense to me. Live trees fail all the time. I've pulled more than a few over myself. Went out to a contract climb last year with a funky jacaranda that had root crown decay and quite a bit of rot but plenty of healthy foliage. To the lay person, a healthy tree. The principle contractor wanted some pruning done up high over street power lines and I told him there was no way I was climbing that thing, he'd need to get a bucket in. He insisted it was a strong healthy tree. I told him I'd put a throw line in it and show him how easy it was to snap a branch out, he agreed.

Put the throwline in, put my full weight onto it, and the entire tree failed at the roots. Came down hard, destroying a pergola. The look on the guys face was priceless! He said to me "what am I going to tell the owner?". I said "tell him you saved his life".

Another climber I know was in a live healthy tree with root decay and it failed. Rode it to the ground and did ok out of it because he wasn't too high up. Cuts, scratches, bruises, twisted ankle, couple broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder. It's not only 'really dead' trees that fail. Live trees fail also. You've got to consider the species, the form, rot, diseases, pests and the individual TIP. Every case is different. I don't see how SRT changes any of that unless you're using a base tie off.

I not familiar with those species of tree, and I do not doubt your assement of the trees condition where you live. But in all fairness here in North Carolina I have yet to see a healthy tree fail from a simple pull of a throw line nor with a rope attached and a 5 to 1 pulling at it.
Generally speaking if a large thriving white oak was to fail in my general area there would have to be obvious structural damage to the tree or Hypoxilin canker throughout the tree.
I have on the other hand climbed trees that were doomed to fail at any moment and they did not fail, they were removed safely.
Arbor culture is a high risk job inherent. So be afraid if you want, or don't,
Just realize that some fears can be overcome. Hell I'm afraid of heights yet I still climb 120ft tall trees.

If your really terrified of hights you may never overcome it with out Dr. Phil. But if its just normal anxiety from being in a dangerous environment, thats normal and will be overcomed after your in more control of your fate. Knowing whats safe and what limits a certain tree can take will give you a lot more confidence. Trusting your equipment and knowing its limitations and strengths will help you too.
A standing tree in its daily existence experiences more stress then your body weight will put on it(90% of the time)from wind ice and snow. If you have, as you always should, a good tie in, that should give you confidence. When you don't have to question your actions that''ll help. In other words experience.
I climb some dicey trees some time, and I would be lieing if I said I never get scared a little, but knowing the difference between a dose of healthy nervousness and and irrational fear will over come that. I check every thing out, make sure things are as safe as I can get it, then don't question my self(unless something crazy is thrown into the equation.)

Latest posts

Back