Whats the deal with NOS Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you run a NOS saw???

• NO, They are meant to be looked at.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • YES, Fuel that thing up and let the chips fly.

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • Maybe, Depends on the saw and how i'm feeling.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • It's just a chainsaw you silly sally

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I usually surf EBay once if not twice a day looking for Parts or saws I may need. Over the last week I have seen quite a new NOS saws on there and they all seem to be pulling good money.

There has been some talk on here lately about NOS saws. Some people wanna run them and others do not. Lets hear all about these NOS saws if you have them.

Looks like we're all on the same page here. I might make one a shelf queen if it were a saw that already worked its life, and then got restored. Otherwise, let 'er rip.

There has been some talk on here lately about NOS saws. Some people wanna run them and others do not. Lets hear all about these NOS saws if you have them.

The answer lies within how many saws the person already has.

If I already have one or more of that model and choose to keep
an unfired copy like a recent post about an Echo 60 then Why get it dirty.

I like shiny stuff still in the box and have hundreds of other saws to run
so the pretty ones stay that way.

The value is in the NOS. Not "like new" but "NEW".

Thats what some folks want. We know the market on saws but look at other items in NOS condition. How about a NOS 63 Vette fuelly? What ya think the car nuts would pony for one of those. 7 figures I bet.

I found a few unfired saws and could never bring myself to gas em.

sp125c. Dont think the guy that bought it ever gassed it either.
12-5mac005.jpg

sp125c003.jpg

Echo 750. This guy was going to use it cause he liked them.
echothis001.jpg

I still have my rooskie saw. 92 Druzhba.

CIMG0784.jpg

A couple more still waiting to come out and play. :)

361 and 460
CIMG0707.jpg

The answer lies within how many saws the person already has.

If I already have one or more of that model and choose to keep
an unfired copy like a recent post about an Echo 60 then Why get it dirty.

I like shiny stuff still in the box and have hundreds of other saws to run
so the pretty ones stay that way.

Yep, pretty much pegged my thoughts on the matter. If ya got 5 or 6 750s sitting around and come across a NOS one, why the heck run it when you can easily go pick up one that's already been used? Everybody has their thoughts about this. Bet for most though it comes down to how much the individual with the new toy really treasures the particular model, and whether or not there's another of the same or similar model that's already been broken in.

Dan

There we go, 100% for running the crap out of them.:ices_rofl:

My thoughts exactly. Even an NOS Homelite 2000 or Mac 797L would certainly get ran (but not beat) if it ended up in my hands...

Hey Doc, let's find a NOS BP-1 and take it to the beach to break it in.

If you find one, give me enough time to drive up there. I'll bring the Rye and the Cee-Gars!!:cheers:

Yep, pretty much pegged my thoughts on the matter. If ya got 5 or 6 750s sitting around and come across a NOS one, why the heck run it when you can easily go pick up one that's already been used? Everybody has their thoughts about this. Bet for most though it comes down to how much the individual with the new toy really treasures the particular model, and whether or not there's another of the same or similar model that's already been broken in.

Dan

Funny you use 750s as examples Dan. I have a Homelite-nut friend that runs nothing but old Homelites. He's had a firewood and tree removal business since the early '70s. The newest designs he runs is a couple of 360s. Amoung all of his 2100s, 1050's, 925s, old gear drives, and SXL-AO's (and many other old Homelite models), he has about 5 or six well used runner 750s. Also has a couple of parts saw 750s and three NOS 750 powerheads sitting on the shelf with the tags still attached. Think he paid $300 apiece for them a few years ago from an old saw shop that was closing up. They're clean and pretty now...................but rest assured, he will run them if he feels the need. I've made him swear that he'll have me around when he breaks the cherry on them. I've got several months to convince him that he must head north to the PNW GTG with me.................and that he must bring at least one of those NOS 750's...:cheers:

I've had 2 new 440s this year that haven't been gassed I sold to other people who are going to use them. I don't particularly care for them being stihls and all. Some people like to put them up and all but I would do it with an older one that might need engine work or something and make it pretty and use a good one.

I guess nos saws are like money in the bank... but you just have to hope there is someone around to buy it when you want to sell.... me I like to run my saws. I try to keep them cleaned and looking as new as possable, but I run them all.

Latest posts

Back