Whats with the LINKBUCKS crap!!!! rediculous, great way to end the site!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger's bottom line:
"Big websites with a lot of traffic are prime malware targets. Happens all the time, even to well guarded huge sites with full time IT guys monitoring 24/7... Stuff happens. It's HARD to keep them clean all the time, BUT..individuals have their own responsibility as well."
----------------
Yes But... Most computer users have bought Malware, Spyware, Virus, and Lord knows what other protections that exist. Regardless, the sites get hacked. It's as simple as that. Eventually, the machines will run like snails doing nothing but protecting themselves from crooks. At that point, the crooks will have won the battle and the users of the machines will have lost.

Is it possible that some are confusing some of the site functions that aren't up and working yet with the actual hack that was done ?
I'm not seeing any of the hack in the window that scriptsafe opens up when we get the redirect at this time .

Is it possible that some are confusing some of the site functions that aren't up and working yet with the actual hack that was done ?
I'm not seeing any of the hack in the window that scriptsafe opens up when we get the redirect at this time .
Well, if the screen goes dead blank, then the site programmers should have inserted a simple dialog box that explains that the feature is still being worked on. As a former programmer, I assure you that this is a rather standard and easy-to-do procedure during upgrades.

Well, if the screen goes dead blank, then the site programmers should have inserted a simple dialog box that explains that the feature is still being worked on. As a former programmer, I assure you that this is a rather standard and easy-to-do procedure during upgrades.

I get your point and it's a good one , transparency or lack of .

I have NoScript Installed which has just blocked ultrafiles.net.

Reputation of ultrafiles.net

This website is classified as a phishing website.
It is associated with attempts to acquire sensitive information such as user names, passwords and credit card
details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity.
You should not enter confidential information on this website.

I see they have ultrafiles.net stuck in the Javascript box right now

Beware, it goes to linkbucks

Has anyone considered that the "click to skip ad" linking the site is actually bringing in revenue to the site owners? With the site being recently hacked, seems like a perfect opportunity to deliberately introduce something like this and "blame" it on others. I suspect soon the site will no longer exist.

Has anyone considered that the "click to skip ad" linking the site is actually bringing in revenue to the site owners? With the site being recently hacked, seems like a perfect opportunity to deliberately introduce something like this and "blame" it on others. I suspect soon the site will no longer exist.

Scott, are you pulling an all-nighter???? You should close the blinds, don't breathe the air from the com trails, and beware of the black helicopters circling your house.

Have you considered a tinfoil hat?

Zogger's bottom line:
"Big websites with a lot of traffic are prime malware targets. Happens all the time, even to well guarded huge sites with full time IT guys monitoring 24/7... Stuff happens. It's HARD to keep them clean all the time, BUT..individuals have their own responsibility as well."
----------------
Yes But... Most computer users have bought Malware, Spyware, Virus, and Lord knows what other protections that exist. Regardless, the sites get hacked. It's as simple as that. Eventually, the machines will run like snails doing nothing but protecting themselves from crooks. At that point, the crooks will have won the battle and the users of the machines will have lost.

They may have bought all that crap, but if they haven't learned anything and are still surfing around with active scripting accepted at all sites..they will get hosed.

Yes, various websites get hacked, so, people who surf on the net need to be proactive in advance, not after the fact. Just buying that jazz doesn't do it all, security is like an onion, you go about it in layers. Plus learn how to actually use your gear.

The bottom line on THIS site right now is, keep javascript off, you get no redirects. Whole bunches of vbulletin sites got hosed, stuff happens. Users who were careful in their use of javascript allowances did not get hit.

Nothing is perfect, but I see nothing wrong with advising people to use a browser and add-on like firefox and noscript to help with online security and surfing. Costs zero to the end user other than some time to download/install/adjust.

I am seeing the linkbucks and associated domains in my noscript settings, and by not allowing it..nothing happens. This isn't hard for any user here. Noscript takes at most a few minutes to learn to use to a decent degree, you look at the dang menu settings for it, allow or disallow or allow for session. This ain't rocket surgery. I see ultrafiles and linkbucks sitting there..I don't allow them.

If users choose not to be just a tad more involved with their own computer tool, relying on someone else to do it for them some magical way, it ain't gonna work, there are no psychic programs to do this. Some things the individual has to do, something to help themselves other than throwing money at the subject.

Does no good to throw money at chaps or a hardhat if you don't wear them when cutting!

Does no good to buy a carb kit if you don't pull and clean the carb, install the kit, and reinstall it!

Do you learn to check the air in your tires periodically over the miles, or just rely on the dudes you bought your tires from?

This is simple basic tech hands-on we accept here with various subjects, I maintain simple basic computer tech for the end user at home is just as possible, with just a scosh of personal effort on his or hers part. Just even a little, other than throwing up hands and saying "you don't get it".

As to the site, I know they are working on it, I am not involved in the inner workings, who is doing what, all that I know is *most* hosting places keep an image/snapshop of a past known clean instance just for emergencies like that, so they can wipe and reinstall. Doesn't matter a big RAID setup server or a single drive home machine, good to have a backup system handy for when and if you need it.

I personally do a full wipe and clean reinstall periodically just for the halibut. May not need it, may need it, but do it anyway and have done it like that for many many years now, precisely because I know anyone "you" can get hosed and not even know it.

And no, I don't agree we are going to "lose" on the net and the badguys win. It will be ongoing forever, but there will be ups and downs, but most people could do a LOT better if they spent just a few hours learning to use their tools better.

The ones who complain the most about this "linkbux" crap have done the LEAST amount of personal computer responsibility maintenance..same as with busted chainsaws.

"I ain't never gonna buy one them dang stihlavarnas again, I yanked that cord 2,000 times until that broke too and.."

Same mindset.

I can't defend that. someone else might want to defend that sort of mindset, but I will not.

Gonna use a tool, spend a little time to actually learn to use the tool, end of story. Just acquiring the tool doesn't do the skullsweat or work for you.

Linkbucks and Ultrafiles are both contaminating the system right now

This is an easy fix. You can customize Chrome to not allow Javascript on AS only, or you can use Chrome configured to block scripting on all sites (as outlined above) and use IE for everything else.

I'll try!!! like I said I am not computer savy!! I now get hit twice everytime I click on anything. Zogger, some of us have been trying. Even going as far as different antivirious and changing as much as we can but hoping not to screw anything up. It took me the better part of 10min to get here to do this. There are people who are excellent at everything and have the time to teach themselfs this stuff, I am not one of them I guess. I should not have to be a computer wiz to acess a site. Nmurph, when I get a chance I will try Chrome. CJ

On edit, I loaded noscript. Does not seem to help in my case. It worked 1 time now I am back to redirect land. Heck I can't even acess to see who beat up my rep!!

Last edited:
I have No Script and it works well and has since day one. I am not a computer geek by any means ( hell I just got a Tracphone), but No Script is just about fool proof, especially for an old fool like me.

I'm not a computer geek person myself.

I went through all this several years ago on another forum and the administrator of that site recomended I get "No Script" at that time. I have used it ever since on all websites.

Who in the world would want Google's Doubleclick tracking your every move? Double click is on most sites

With Javascript disabled, things like embedded videos don't work. The like button has issues. People are having trouble with donating to TBone.

I'm running Firefox with script disabled.Everything seems to work except I don't get the log in at the top of the page.So I reply to a post and then it asks me to log in.As to this being a PITA.I 've been using PC's since 1980 if you think it's bad now you should have been around back then.The whole deal(internet,PC's,smartphones)is designed and maintained by people who like working on this crap.That has been the direction of the industry since the beginning.When I was in college they made us take programming classes.We weren't all going to be programmers and we knew it.We just wanted to turn the machine on and use it.I spent time and money learning to use operating systems and programming languages that are now defunct or unrecognizable.My attitude toward computers now is I don't learn anything new untill I have to.Well if you want to use this site now YOU HAVE TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW.If you don't figure it out now it's only a matter of time before some little thing runs you off of anothee site you enjoy.

With Javascript disabled, things like embedded videos don't work. The like button has issues. People are having trouble with donating to TBone.

You can post a direct link to any vids. You can go direct to youtube or photobucket, etc.

That actually works a lot better for those of us with slow speed limited connections. Not all areas of the country have real high speed good connections yet..just is. Embedded vids are a PITA for some of us. I prefer download first, then run from the hard drive so they are smooth and you don't have to go through buffering.

Like button doesn't work..not a huge game changer, it's fun but not necessary to read or post information.

Donating to Tbone, any snail mail address (generic PO box maybe) could work as well, with a check/cash or money order and a note attached what is your screen name.

It isn't perfect, but there are easy workarounds for these site issues right now as they try to fix the major problems.

Latest posts

Back