What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The thread by dal290la about his $40 242XP gave me the idea for this thread. So what is the best deal you ever got on a saw? The kind of deal where most guys here would agree that "you stole it!"

My best was a guy who traded in two saws on a new 2165. Neither saw ran, and I offered him $50 trade in for each one. One was a cosmetically perfect 630 Super with a wiped cylinder, so that was an excellent project, but the other saw was the "steal". It was a Jonsered 90 in solid B+ to A- condition. 90's are rare to begin with, but this saw was used for personal firewood cutting by a friend of the guy trading it in, not professionally, and you don't find many larger saws like that. He said that another dealer checked it, and it had a bad coil, which is of course NLA. I had another 90 that ran, but was in rough shape, so I figured I could use that coil, or I'd find a coil through one of you guys. But one thing I've learned is to never trust the customer's diagnosis, so I looked it over when I got it home. Just cleaned up the points, and she fired right up. Runs smooth and very strong. :clap:

I wondered if I should call the guy back, but a few weeks had passed, he didn't ask me to try and fix it, and the incorrect diagnosis was his error, not mine. The deal was done, and the saw was mine. :givebeer:

I can't honestly remember my best
steal. I have had a few great purchases
but i think one of my best would be a
craigslist deal. While searching like i normally
do, i was searching the state of Maine and
came across a Homelite 3100 for $150.00
Unfortunatly someone on this site let the cat
out of the bag and instead of waiting for the seller
to ship it, i went the next morning to get it.
A 6 hour round trip. The saw came with both
felling dogs a small and a large. 1 spare 1/2 inch
chain. The saw was in excellent shape.

Lee

I, personaly have not got one yet. But, I can share with you as to what my little brother did.
He got a real like new -mint- ms361 for $130.00. He asked me if o thought it was a good deal because he hasn't a real interest in chainsaws. I told him yes. I wanted to tell him Hell n and that I would give him his money back because I didn't want to see him get used like that. But for one he's my brother and two, nobody would believe that. LOL! :)

attachment.php

I got this just last week for $50.New fuel lines, filter, carb adjustment it runs like a dream. The guy even delivered it to my door.

Probably my best deal yet.

I got a nice stihl 056 MagII for $200 bucks. I needed somthing to do a big job, now it gets used almost every day. That's what sucked me into this site. I never knew how good of a deal it was for quite some time.

attachment.php

Two good deals I have come across are 60.00$$ for a brand new stihl bar and chain attached to a running 026 and 67.00$$ for a very low hour 2171WH that would not lube the bar :) .
The very best deal I have gotten is the tons of info , tips an lessons from this website and members (saved me a lot of money and misery )!

:cheers:

Never stole one, but my best deal, was $379 for a new 346xp in 01.
Was probably MSRP but was the best $ I ever spent on a saw :D

I paid $200 for this 066 powerhead and a pole saw. Sold the pole saw for $100,so $100 for the 66. It needed a coil and a some fine tuning,I sent it to Brad for him to work on. With a new 32" B/C and west coast cover and spikes, I prolly have $250 in the saw. It flat out rips

066.jpg

I think I did O.K. on my MS-440. Got it in trade for getting a guy's 025 tuned up and running right for him. He did give me $25 to cover the parts on the 025 though...... :jester:

440 Runs BTW, just a blown out clutch. :clap:

I've paid straight retail for two saws. My 044 came from a fellow member and was a good deal for both of us. I paid what he was asking and thought it was fair.

My best deal was probably my MS180. $99 new at my dealer's once a year customer appreciation sale. The more I use that little saw the more I love it. Sometimes can't wait to put down the bigger saws if the wood is 6" or less.

I picked up a good running Shindaiwa 488 for $68 off e-bay. I put in an early bid and couldn't believe how nice this saw was when it arrived.

attachment.php

Another real steal was getting my Shindaiwa pole saw for $125. I never would have gotten one paying full price and I'm amazed how much this gets used. Only thing I would want different is a telescoping pole.

A few others I consider pretty good deals:

Shindaiwa 695 $150
Shindaiwa 577 $125
Shindaiwa 500 $ 77
Shindaiwa 416 $ 58

Last edited:
Free 038M that needed the sawdust removed from the carb and recoil. The recoil would get stuck and the dust prevented the diaphragm on carb. from pumping. OEM P/C looked like new though ex port.

Ran so good it deserved a new 25" ES bar and RS chain.

I got a spare 038 parts powerhead and 3 056s in the same pile of "scrap" too.......

One of the 056, a mag, also just needed minor work to run again........it's my backup milling saw.

My best deal is a tough call, I'm found several.

I got these both for $50.00
attachment.php

$100.00
attachment.php

$200.00 for the whole pile.
attachment.php

Maybe the best ever. $20.00
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back