What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$30 got me 3- 025's 2- 021's and 2 029's a few weeks ago

All were rough cosmetically, but a carb cleaning and a rebuild kit for all of them, a one of the 025's needed a new piston.

I think I did alright. The only problem is they were 021's 025's and 029's. Oh well, beggers cannt be choosers.

If I told ya'll, I couldnt make any money :)

All my saws were good deals, or I wouldnt have them

Pretty happy with the running after a fuel line and tank clean 1050 Homey. for $50

Can't beat the free Pro Mac 1000 that started me in this crazy hobby in the first place.

100_0632-1.jpg

You want a even better deal? I'll triple your money for it to send it to me and I'll even pay the shipping on top of it. :clap:

I guess one of my better deals was trading a nice shape Homelite 330 for a Echo CS-900EVL.

"IF" BOI will take my deal then that would be the best so far.

I got a straight gassed dolmar 5100, husky 55, stihl 025 and mac 3516 for $125 a few years ago. The dolmar was the only one seized up. The others were little things.

I got my brand new w/ warranty Efco MT3600 w/ 2new chains and 16" bar for $50 because the retail chain (which I can't mention because it's not a site sponsor) was closing them out. Regular price was $220 w/ one chain, they had marked it down to $99.99 (because they were going to discontinue it) , and because they were having a Managers 50% off sale for everything under $100 it came down to $50. I'm not sure why they threw in the extra chain.

I had gone in to get (and got) a chain grinder which was on sale for $90 and is widely talked about on the Chain Sharpening forum.

I got a 044 with a scored p&c from a fellow member here for free. I was able to cleanup the cylinder and put in an italian piston and the saw runs like new. It is now my main firewood saw. Thanks again.

066 Redlight at a antique auction for 65 bucks. Everyone there was looking to buy antiques. The only other bidder was a lady and she was going to buy it for her husband, or I would have probably got it for 5 bucks.
I have also bought truck loads of used saws from dealers dirt cheap.

Not a saw, but got my really nice, really low use Foley 394 chain grinder with 13 grinding wheels, a chain breaker/spinner, and some other accessories for $55.

Got this load of saws from Scooterbum for gratis. I gave away a few of them to Family Tradition and got a good portion of the others running.

Scooterbumssaws001.jpg

Also had other saws given to me as well. The cheapest one I bought was this little Poulan for $1.75 off e-Bay.

PoulanXXV007.jpg

I thought this nice running 026 was a good buy at $45.

Stihl026013.jpg

I like the $1.75 poulan,Guido. I love those little saws, got three of them now but not a countervibe. Still looking.

Nabbed a Poulan 2000 in E-Bay for $64 shipped. The shipping alone is $23. I know it's not a "Steal" but I always could buy one of the current manufactured Poulans from Wal-Mart for $98. Lets face it, Poulan products aren't as good now as 15 years ago. I read something on here I believe about EPA Regulations.

I perfer Top Handle over Rear Handle.

I had a sense of dread when I clicked the header for this thread. I knew there'd be some "sick with jealousy" moments coming. With Lee and Little Possum's 1050 and 3100G stories heading the list (and those 'scrap' 038Mag and 056Mag tales not far behind) I haven't been 'disappointed'. I'm sure others will follow.

I've done pretty damn well a few times too.

1)Got a SWEET blue/whilte Homelite XL12 (with a transplanted Super XL P/C) from Farley9N on fleabay for a very reasonable price. He later sent me a 'parts C5 for the cost of shipping. It has aready donated parts to both of my C5's, and has a very nice P/C in it to boot.

2)Got my first Homelite C5 from RandyMac for $20 or so plus a bar and chain from my Mac35A. Came with a nice 22" XL series saw bar and a loop of 3/8" chain. This will be saved for a larger XL series saw such as an XL800 or XL923 in the future). Ran it for a while with the OLD 25" hardnose offa my Original EZ. It now wears an NOS 21" hardnose Oregon bar that I got cheap from a guy on the Chainsaw Collectors site. Great saw.

3)Got the cherry Homelite C5 in my avatar pic on ebay for something like $19 plus shipping (and I wasn't raped on shipping either). Only took a cleanout of about two pounds of oily chips/sawdust/gunk, a new fuel line, and a chain adjuster nut (pillaged from Bob's parts C5) to get 'er back in shape. Came with a nice 18" hardnose and a loop of Stihl round chissel .404".

4)Was given my 031AV disassembled in a box back in 1986 or so. Put a new ring in it and ran the crap outa it for years. Now have an NOS PC waiting for it. Someday I'll bring it back to life...

5)Scored my 'workhorse' Homelite Super XL-Auto for $25 offa Craigslist with an old but useable 20" Oregon replacable sprocket tip bar. Swapped a fuel line in from a parts saw (which was an ebay fiasko............but the seller eventualy made things right) and it's been working hard for me ever since.

6)Got an O&R Engines manufactured Sears gear drive years ago for $8 at a flea market. Only needs some diaphragms, a fan shrowd, and a starter spring to be back up and running great. Neat little tiny saws.

7)Got my Craftsman 1.9/Poulan XX for free from my Homelite-nut friend years ago. Other than some manual oiler issues, it has been a great little lightweight top handle limber.

8)The Mono built, AH58 powered Montgomery Wards WD60 came my way for $10 from a yard sale a number of years ago. Has a 24" hardnose with a good loop of 1/2" or 7/16" chain (can't remember which atm). Needs a cleaning, a carb kit (basic Tilly HL) and an AF element and it will chewing on wood again...

I've just missed out on some SUPER deals on CL a few times. MINTY runner McCulloch 450 fer $75.......................Homelite XP1000 fer $20..........................McCulloch SP125 fer $100..............Homelite XL925 fer $30................................etc...:censored:

Last edited:
I missed a $10 mac 10-10 this morning at the flea market by about 5 seconds. I got a nice little poulan 2000 with chain brake for $15 I think it was, not too long ago.

Win some, lose some.:givebeer:

My best deal was a Husky 65 for free. Then a non working 10-10a and 1-41 for 15$. And my most recent a 797 non working for 200$ with a 28" roller nose bar. Now if I could only find that 25 doller 044 or 066.

two weekends ago i saw a cl posting for three stihls 032av, 028wb, and a 028av super for a $150 said they all run but rough. I woke up at 5am and drove 4hrs to get them.

The 032 and 028wb ran perfect with fresh gas and plugs the 028 super cuts out and stalls once it gets to wot so i still have to look at that.

My best deal was 9 saws for $100.00 a few years ago.
076, 041 Super, 028 Super, 048,
Skil saw, O&R , a little sears saw and two little mac's.

attachment.php

attachment.php

two weekends ago i saw a cl posting for three stihls 032av, 028wb, and a 028av super for a $150 said they all run but rough. I woke up at 5am and drove 4hrs to get them.

The 032 and 028wb ran perfect with fresh gas and plugs the 028 super cuts out and stalls once it gets to wot so i still have to look at that.

Even if the super needs a bunch of work , you still did very, very well.:cheers:

Back