What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Jonsered 2172 for 60 bucks, the more I cleaned it up, the more it looked almost new. I put a couple used parts on it and sold it for over $500.

That hasn't happened again.

Had a guy give me...yes I said give me....a 066 and 038 magnum. I wouldnt let him give it to me but all he wanted was some Hickory to use in his smoker.

Neither run yet...but heck.

182062d1304133543-mystery-stihl-jpg

182063d1304133543-038-jpg

I walked into a gunshop and asked my usual question, "do you have any old shotuns?" The young assistant said one just came in but it had two triggers and thought no-one would want it. I told him I liked double triggers, so he brought it out from the back room.
This is my 1951 Beretta S3:
I'm not saying what I paid but it was a deal.
100_0954.jpg

100_0945-1.jpg

Al

I have heated my house with firewood since I bought it (only 10) years and started with two EBay Stihl saws. I have a 029 I paid $150 for with a new 24" Oregon bar and chain and a 066 I paid $400 for with a new Canon 32" bar and chain.

Last year I started looking for chainsaw deals. I wanted a small saw for limbing and a replacement for my 029. I was cutting firewood at a friend's house last fall. He ran an errand and when he came back he said there was an orange chain saw sitting near some garbage cans down the street. I grabbed the saw and went to the house. I asked the owner if it was his saw and he told me, "No. That’s your chain saw." It is a Husky 141. He had just put a new bar and chain on it. He said it didn't run right and the last time he used it the starter rope broke. I replaced the rope to find it needed a carb adjustment. I know it isn't the best saw but I wanted a small saw for cutting slash and the price was right.

I got a deal about a month later on a saw to replace the 029. A local shop had a Husky 266 that had sat unrepaired for 10+ years. The owner said it needed a piston and cylinder. It also came with a full-wrap bar and a 28" bar and chain. I got the saw for $40. I figured I couldn't go wrong because I could get my money back if I parted it out. I brought the saw home and put my compression tester on it. I pulled three times and got 180psi. It turns out all the vibration isolators are shot and it needed a carb rebuild and that was it.

In February of this year I was helping another friend clear a downed oak on his property. He had a Husky 40 that had a scored piston. He completely disassembled it and gave it to me in a box. I haven't done anything with that one yet. Cosmetically it looks like new on the outside. The cylinder is in great shape so I think I can get away with a new piston and ring if I want to repair it. This saw is in better shape than the beat 141 so I may do that.

Bob

I also bought my 066 for $175 running it needed some new stuff...but he said $175 i said sold!....it actually runs stronger than my 660..believe it or not!...still to this day!....and i have never had the cylinder or piston off of it. I just muffler modded it fixed it up and tuned it and ran it...what a tree killing machine it is too! I would like to know the hours on the top end....i know i prolly put over 700 hours on it and the guy i bought it off of said it had over a thousand or 2 hours on it...he said it was his only falling saw since he bought it new...and he cut with it everyday...i know for a fact. Its a strong running saw...no doubt about it.;)

Latest posts

Back