What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah your right, I like him better too. Was just trying something different.

:agree2:
Yours and Saw Dr.'s need to stay the same. lol

More free saws... I have great friends, but mom may use a piece of steel instead of a switch if this doesn't stop :)

Ckelp, load that D6 behind the powerwagon, and Ill come drive them to NC :D

it's not saws but, my neighbor just bought (today) the contents of a barn he got a cat D6 a tow truck an old power wagon, ford n9, some chainsaws, lawn mowers and about a ton of grade 8 hardware still in the box. all for $10.000

on Friday i have to go down and help him clear it out i have already told him
if we find a bigger stihl it's mine. he assured me that i'm going to coming home with enough cr#p to make my wife kill me so here we go...

is that $10, or $10,000??

it's not saws but, my neighbor just bought (today) the contents of a barn he got a cat D6 a tow truck an old power wagon, ford n9, some chainsaws, lawn mowers and about a ton of grade 8 hardware still in the box. all for $10.000

on Friday i have to go down and help him clear it out i have already told him
if we find a bigger stihl it's mine. he assured me that i'm going to coming home with enough cr#p to make my wife kill me so here we go...

If your friend needs some more help moving/clearing things out........then PLEASE PM me! Sounds like a fun time. I'm only about 15 minutes away from Santa Rosa, have a diesel Ford pickup, and will work for old International Harvester products, Homelites, McCullochs, and/or parts for 'em! I ain't greedy...:cheers:

i meant $10,000 i just talked to my buddy on the phone, he said the lady that's selling it wants back out because there is family members who want to go thou it before shes sells it need less to say that pisssed my friend off...

wow you mean theres some one else here from Sonoma country?
i also got a friend thats looking for a IH parts he also has a ford 26,000 gvw dump truck for sale for $5000 and he's whiling to trade

What sort of IH stuff are you looking for? I just parted out a 560 forklift and have some engine stuff here.

Well...the big stuff has to be cheap and local (Santa Rosa would be great) for me to bite right now. I'm always looking for certain IHC tractors, such as an International 300 Utility or a Farmall/International Cub, Cub Lo-Boy, Farmall A/SuperA/130/etc, or one of the older Cub Cadets. Also looking for Stationary engines.

My main IHC focus is the Light Line vehicles, specificaly Scouts, pickups, Travelalls, and parts for them. Delco manufactured IHC I4 and V8 distributors are always welcome, as are starters, fan shrowds (for Scouts or 1969-1973 pickups/Travelalls), and even complete engines (especialy a 196 I4 or a 345 or 392 V8). Other Scout/Travelall/pickup parts are always welcome too.

Current $$$ situation dictates that I'd have to get the above at basicaly salvage price (or as wages for cheap barn clearing labor-LOL).

i meant $10,000 i just talked to my buddy on the phone, he said the lady that's selling it wants back out because there is family members who want to go thou it before shes sells it need less to say that pisssed my friend off...

wow you mean theres some one else here from Sonoma country?
i also got a friend thats looking for a IH parts he also has a ford 26,000 gvw dump truck for sale for $5000 and he's whiling to trade

Well that's crap (her backin' out). A deal's a deal. Those poop-birds (who probably didn't want anything to do with the deceased when he was around) are gonna go pick through it to snag the 'good stuff' so they can sell it on fleabay and CL for a quick buck. Family can be funny that way. I've seen that with my own family when someone passed on. She better knock the price WAY down, or honor their original contract and tell her family members to frock off, stay AWAY from the barn, and wait for the 10G's to be split up.

I can't swing a $5000 truck right now. Had to pass on a Loadstar dump with all kinds of new parts (allegedly) and good tires for $1200. Getting my financial house back in order so I can snap deals like that up in the future.

You bet there's an AS member here in Sonoma County! We've gotta hook up for a beer and/or a cup of joe sometime and talk chainsaws, old iron, firewood, owning firearms in Ca, and such. Let me know if you need any help clearing that barn/property, chasing off greedy relatives, or cutting/hauling firewood. That stuff's always fun, and my old saws dig the exercise. My body needs more of that too...:cheers:

Wow, there sure are plenty of great finds out there. One of the best things about the saw hobby is that an awful lot of people think old saws are junk. To most of them, an old saw is no more interesting than an old weed wacker or push mower.

I got another one that's even better than my other story. Got a mint, and I mean MINT, Jonsered 70E for FREE. This thing is close to NOS. I stopped in a bar up in Stamford, NY for a quick beer, and got talking with a couple of locals. One guy noticed the Husky hat on my head and asked if I worked with saws. Told him I was a dealer and was also into old saws. He then tells me that he has a big old McCulloch that's practically new. The farmer next to him bought it, but because of it's size hardly used it. Original graphics were still on the bar. But he doesn't remember the model number. I gave him a card, and two days later he calls the store and says it's a 125, and he wants $200 for it. So, Sunday morning I head up there and buy the thing. Now I know you Mac guys won't understand what I did next, but I'm a Jonny guy, and not that into the real big saws.

I knew about that 70E and that the owner was looking for a Mac125. This guy has 200-300 saws, but that one was missing. So, we worked out a trade, and along with the Jonny, I also got $200 cash, making that 70E the nicest free saw I'll ever own. :clap:

Wow, there sure are plenty of great finds out there. One of the best things about the saw hobby is that an awful lot of people think old saws are junk. To most of them, an old saw is no more interesting than an old weed wacker or push mower.

I got another one that's even better than my other story. Got a mint, and I mean MINT, Jonsered 70E for FREE. This thing is close to NOS. I stopped in a bar up in Stamford, NY for a quick beer, and got talking with a couple of locals. One guy noticed the Husky hat on my head and asked if I worked with saws. Told him I was a dealer and was also into old saws. He then tells me that he has a big old McCulloch that's practically new. The farmer next to him bought it, but because of it's size hardly used it. Original graphics were still on the bar. But he doesn't remember the model number. I gave him a card, and two days later he calls the store and says it's a 125, and he wants $200 for it. So, Sunday morning I head up there and buy the thing. Now I know you Mac guys won't understand what I did next, but I'm a Jonny guy, and not that into the real big saws.

I knew about that 70E and that the owner was looking for a Mac125. This guy has 200-300 saws, but that one was missing. So, we worked out a trade, and along with the Jonny, I also got $200 cash, making that 70E the nicest free saw I'll ever own. :clap:

Well Spike...................confession is good for the soul. Now go forth and sin no more..............oh and pass along any old Mac or Homelite finds (like that Mac125) to the first Homelite/Mac nut with a blue Homelite C5 as his avatar pic(now that must be an Eccentric fellow indeed) that you find on this site as absolution for past transgressions...:cheers:

Last edited:
Well Spike...................confession is good for the soul. Now go forth and sin no more..............oh and pass along any old Mac or Homelite finds (like that Mac125) to the first Homelite/Mac nut with a blue Homelite C5 as his avatar pic(now that must be an Eccentric fellow indeed) that you find on this site as absolution for past transgressions...:cheers:

Well, there is a potential find coming up sometime soon. One of My landscapers was in recently and he lives in a small town where there used to be a Homelite dealer up on some dead end road. Keith knows I'm into old saws, and I asked him if he knew if ole Herb still had his shop, or was even still alive for that matter, since I hadn't been there in 15 years. So he says: "Oh yeah, Herb's still around, but he closed the shop a few years ago. In fact his son is my sisters boyfriend, so I'll see what he's got laying around up there and let you know." Come on Keith..... I'm waitin!

Well, there is a potential find coming up sometime soon. One of My landscapers was in recently and he lives in a small town where there used to be a Homelite dealer up on some dead end road. Keith knows I'm into old saws, and I asked him if he knew if ole Herb still had his shop, or was even still alive for that matter, since I hadn't been there in 15 years. So he says: "Oh yeah, Herb's still around, but he closed the shop a few years ago. In fact his son is my sisters boyfriend, so I'll see what he's got laying around up there and let you know." Come on Keith..... I'm waitin!

Come on Keith and Spike....................Eccentric's waitin'!:popcorn:

I'm pretty pleased with the 075 I've just got. £45 (about $65), and absolutely covered in crud. I washed all the crud off, and underneath was a barely used saw. Piston still has machining marks on it, not a scratch. Now I'll have to buy another one to rebuild. :cry:

Bet you the local dealer would say he did OK also, but not as good as you. $40 is pretty good for a 460.

He was asking 1600 for the tractor on CL and it sold pretty quick. Figured he got 1400 or 1500 for it. Yeah we both made out pretty good. I did not want to be bothered with tire kickers and folks who would call and say they were going to be over to look and never show up.:dizzy:

It was not a chainsaw, but a fishing reel - the first one that Witchy bought for me (and the price was good)! :givebeer:

I still have it, and it still is the one I cast the longest with, at the coast that is!

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days!
Best deal for me would be all of my mail ordered Husqvarnas: no sales tax, no middle man.

Its a toss up between the David Bradley 360 my buddy's dad gave me and said "If ya get it runnin its yours and if ya can't I don't want it back"
or the Dolmar 5100 that I won on a $20 raffle ticket at the GTG last spring.

husky 359 my last find

listed on craig's list husqvarna 359 needs repair $75.00 with case. Called and
still was not sold a week later. Seller said it has a scored piston. Dealer wants $400.00 to repair. --seller was about 30 miles from me. He called me and said that he would be coming my way. delivered it to me and I asked if he would take $50.00, sure. seemed suprised I would want something that was "junk" -- here is a picture after a $28.00 piston, some muratic acid and
$4.95 for a trottle lock. Ran decent 1st time out, going to mod the cat muffer tonight.

Latest posts

Back