What's your EOTW Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Counselor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Assume that you have one saw used primarily to cut firewood to heat your home and that you would be unable to order parts off the internet or have it serviced by anyone other than yourself.

You can stock basic spares and consumables- Air & fuel filters, spark plug, spare bar, chains, fuel line.....Saw would have to last you essentially for the rest of your life.

What saw would you pick and why?

Sorry for my brain density, Counselor, but I have never heard of EOTW (end of the world?). We have abbreviated the English language to death. If I had to throw them all away and keep only one, it would be my Stihl MS361 that would remain. But, please do not ask me to do that. My Stihl 026 PRO and Husqvarna 353 would never forgive me for doing that.

IMO, 50cc saws are the most appropriate generally speaking for most folks for firewood. Light weight with cutting ability for some pretty good size logs. CS 4910 or ms 261. My cutting buddy recently got a ms 361. Impressive for 50cc and easy to use.

Jonsered 2094.

Why? Because I like them a lot- they can handle anything I am likely to come across that needs to be converted in size to fit a fire box, will happily run bars from 20-42 inch and it is intimidating to Zombies that roam the plains at the EOTW.

My ms241cm is the best saw ever made for maneuvering effortlessly in the field here in smallwoodsville.
For felling or bucking larger trees (16-20in is large around here) I have a Dolmar 5105 which is extremely aggressive even with an 18" bar.
- It makes noticeably more sweat and fatigue than the 241 out in the rugged terrain though.
At the sawbuck/horse I like to use a 70cc with a 20in, I have a large solid sawbuck and I apply multiple trunks on it.
RIMG0018.JPG RIMG0045.JPG RIMG0138.JPG
Most used saw I have is an Echo 280T, there is a lot more branches than trunk on a tree.

My 361 has never let me down. Light enough but has enough power to get the job done.

Assume that you have one saw used primarily to cut firewood to heat your home and that you would be unable to order parts off the internet or have it serviced by anyone other than yourself.

You can stock basic spares and consumables- Air & fuel filters, spark plug, spare bar, chains, fuel line.....Saw would have to last you essentially for the rest of your life.

ANY 1127-series Stihl. Most popular saws for 30 yrs., can't be wrong.....

371xp/372xp. THE best saw ever made....period. Have several bars and chains. A 20, 24, 28, maybe a 32. You could even get a 16 or 18. Parts are EVERYWHERE and it will run bars up to 36 even 42 with no issues. But there isn't anything you could not handle. Especially with a few performance mods.

There are a lot of good saws out there by Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo, Makita, Dolmar....but guys, the original, non Xtorq 371xp or 372xp is THE saw to have. Thr power to weight ratio is the best there is. If you disagree, thats fine, but most likely, if you do, it's because you have never run one, especially one that's been ported and muffler modded.

I might be partial because of my recent project, but there’s got to be a reason why so many 031/032 saws are still around and kicking after 40-50 years.

I mean, all the 024, 028, 034, 038, 041, etc etc that are running on ancient original parts means there’s some inherent reliability that few modern saws can match.

I can probably keep that 031 running with distilled liquor and animal fat long after gas is gone.

Latest posts

Back