when did saws become more than tools to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me saws are really still just a tool. I enjoy cutting and tinkering on them since its fun and keeps my interest. but the only reason i have so many is to keep me in the woods working should one break down.

Back when I was a little kid watching my Dad and Grandpa cut wood together. I couldn't wait to cut with them, but I was only 4 or 5 at the time.

Cutting wood back then was an event. Wish I could have those days back...

Yes, I can say that over and over.... Sometimes I think my better days are to come, but then I have to think, maybe they've been here and I just didn't know it. I reflect a lot about past times....they can't be replaced. :cry:

This site is sure a good welcoming though! Good guys here!

How can a chainsaw be more than just a tool? it is just a tool, maybe one we like more than others but still just a tool...I like my SnapOn tools just as well,but they too are tools...

I have to wonder if some of you sleep with your saws under your bed?

How can a chainsaw be more than just a tool? it is just a tool, maybe one we like more than others but still just a tool...I like my SnapOn tools just as well,but they too are tools...

They become more than a tool when you do things just to use them....:chainsaw:

Are you trying to change peoples minds or just make 'em feel like crap for liking something?

When i thought it was a good idea to buy a new 460 and extras just for a firewood saw, that i haven't even really "worked" with yet. Just got bored and ripped up stuff.

When mains gas became more expensive than whiskey, and I pulled out my crappy gas fires. When I realised that people would thank me for taking away nuisance trees. When I saw my last gas bill go down by 90%. And every time I leave my boots by the fire in the evening so they're warm and dry in the morning, and every time I find myself working hard on a heap of wood, on my third tank of fuel, down to a shirt with the ground frozen solid and having the time of my life making a massive heap of firewood. Simple pleasures :D

They aren't always considered tools, they can just be considered possessions or interests, hobbies and addictions. Depends upon the person using it......

One mans tool, can be another man's play toy, my brother!! :jawdrop: Make sense? :monkey:

When I was maybe 12 yrs old, dad took us out to cut wood every weekend it seemed and fired up the old pro 10-10. I loved the sound of that saw then I got my first saw for Christmas maybe a yr or 2 later not sure exactly how old I was between 12 and 14 I guess. Anyway I guess it runs in the family because I have a cousin on here a lot and a little bro that you couldn't hide the ax or hatchet good enough from when he was about 4 yrs old. Dad would say go put that hatchet up and you would turn around 15 min later and he would be trying to chop down something!!!

i know exackly when a saw become more than just a tool in my eyes.

The first time I ran something with more than 100cc's in some 36"+ wood.

yes..

Unless its an old yellow, a saw is pretty drab unless there are some big sticks that i can make go BOOOOM.

there are times when i want to chuck the saw as far as i can and hope it lands on a piece of rock that smashes it into pieces so i never have to screw with it again. especially in the summer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chainsaws are tools? Here I thought they were just an excuse to buy more tools to tinker on them with!

Not sure when it happened here, most likely the day I first got to run a chainsaw.

I do know that my new 7300 has yet to spend a night outside, or even in the unheated shed. It seems perfectly happy sitting next to the cabinet in the basement, but I do keep the fuel tank empty so it doesn't try anything funny with the woodwork down there!

i agree all tools ar emore than tools, like my hobart welder, grinders, drills still ts400 cut off saw, the bench i fabbed from scratch. im just that way and tools have made my life so to me they are more than just to tools.

im pretty sure i had cad before finding this place, i just didnt know how bad it was yet.

Back