when does Axe Men air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2dogs, slowp
Get rid of that crap you got, (get well soon).

Why in the hell would you want to put logs in shipping containers, unless you were trying to hide them, or didn't want someone knowing that you are in the log transporting business.
Oh me, I figured it out, the ships have to return the shipping containers to get their deposit back, so if they stuff logs in them they have a paying backhaul eh!
That crap they sell at Home Depot and Lowes is about as green of lumber you can get, without it still growing. I think the mill cuts the lumber, runs it thru the planer, bundles it, and ships it off to the store, no drying process involved, other than the tansport time from mill to store. Go buy some lumber, or check the price of lumber, can we say "expensive". I can assure you, from experience, the logger is not the one getting rich, you would think that, with the housing market down, building materials would be cheaper, "KNOT". Alright enough venting for now, AZLOGGER OUT!

:angry2: :deadhorse:

Thanks!

It is like the cattle business and COOL. Lumber should be marked with a Country of Origin stamp and a Processed in XXX stamp. Let the consumer have an informed say in what they want to buy. "Made in Communist China" is what the stamp SHOULD say for any goods made or processed in China!

Actually here at the nearest Home Depot lumber prices are down. Take strandboard, for example. The price of strandboard was way up to almost $20 a sheet after hurricane Katrina. Now it is more like $5 a sheet. 2x4s here are almost a dollar again. But in places that do not have a local lumber industry, prices are high from increased transport costs. Oil is over $100 a barrel. As for drying, yes... at the big dimentional lumber mills, the logs are delivered by RR car, unloaded, milled, and the RR cars are re-loaded with the cut lumber. They 'dry' them on the cars for a few days, and they are off to wherever. Usually some distribition senter for Lowes or Home Depot.

Near to here, the largest mill peels logs into rough plywood layers and core posts, and the layers are trucked to Roseburg for press-laminating, trimming and finishing. There is also an engineered lumber (glue-laminated) mill, and a few specialty mills that cut wood into small stuff like door sills and window trim kits. I raid them for sawdust shavings for the gardens, and odd bits of lumber. One old mill with an old sawdust burner dome has been converted into a firewood splitting, drying and wrapping 'mill'. They buy whole cull logs and end cuts and cut and split them into piles for drying over the summer, and wrap and ship them in the fall. Some of the mills are not allowing scavaging any more, and are selling the scrap wood for firewood in bins and on pallets (for a lot of money, too).

It seems that we are in transition here; timber is becoming more valuable as firewood than for lumber. Price of oil is over $100 a barrel...

One of our biggest competitors for the structural lumber market is Canada.

At one of our mills the mainline railroad tracks go right by the front gate of the mill. If a train is passing through all traffic in and out of the mill waits for it.

If it's a train load of Canadian lumber, and there are MANY, some of the guys get out and throw rocks at the train.

That lumber your talking about is Pine Beetle lumber from B.C. Just about every stick of pine in B.C. is dead and the mills and loggers are high grading like crazy. 90% of Canadian lumber goes to the U.S. Why? because the U.S. has 10 times the population Canada has.The American whole salers, the builders and the public in the states love our cheap lumber.Weyerhauaser based out of I believe Portland Oregon is one of the largest lumber producers here in Canada. Our lumber mill here in northern Manitoba [Tolko] which is owned by a couple of Canadian brothers from B.C. produces a million b.f. a day and are only a small operation. All the Weyerhauser mills around here are shut down because they don't like competition it seems. Their huge pulp/bleach paper mill in Prince Albert, Sask. has been shut down for 2 years. Our Tolko opertion here also has a pulp/kraft SPX paper mill and they can't produce fast enough .Their enjoying record sales because their niche is in cement and dog food bag paper made from our strong slow growing soft wood fiber here.The lumber div. supplies the chips.Paper is not in the NAFTA deal so the border is wide open.Record number of mills are shut down across Canada but the Tolko mill here runs on EFFICIENCY.

Last edited:
That lumber your talking about is Pine Beetle lumber from B.C. Just about every stick of pine in B.C. is dead and the mills and loggers are high grading like crazy. 90% of Canadian lumber goes to the U.S. Why? because the U.S. has 10 times the population Canada has.The American whole salers, the builders and the public in the states love our cheap lumber.Weyerhauaser based out of I believe Portland Oregon is one of the largest lumber producers here in Canada. Our lumber mill here in northern Manitoba [Tolko] which is owned by a couple of Canadian brothers from B.C. produces a million b.f. a day and are only a small operation. All the Weyerhauser mills around here are shut down because they don't like competition. Their huge pulp/paper mill in Prince Albert, Sask. has been shut down for 2 years. Our Tolko opertion here also has a pulp/paper mill and they can't produce it fast enough .Their enjoying record sales because their niche is cement and dog bag paper made from our strong slow growing soft wood fiber here.The lumber div. supplies the chips.Paper is not in the NAFTA deal so the border is wide open.Record number of mills are shut down across Canada but the Tolko mill here runs on EFFICIENCY.

Yup...makes sense to me. And thanks for the information. It probably won't stop the guys from throwing rocks, though.:)

Hey Slowp...and you too, 2Dogs

You have milder stuff. The crud going around here comes with fever, not too horrible but the chills thing, massive cough till your ribs feel like they'll come apart, and achy stuff. Finally slept. Still got a cough but not as bad. There's only one solution that works for me at this point, go out and hork it up.

Did you two sneak down here and breathe on me when I wasn't looking? Or is the Respiratory Virus From Hell communicable over the 'net?

Now I have the same crud but since you two seem to be surviving I guess I can, too. If I don't dehydrate like a prune first.

"Hork it up"...yeah, that fits. :censored: :censored: :censored: Bob

Well, it was a gross day because I only put in 1 extra hanky and needed about 3 extras. I had to shut Twinkle off while I had coughing fits. Today is day 8 of the fungus. And all the moisture and braincells will be coming out your nose if you have this stuff. I'm ready to go to sleep now.....

Did you two sneak down here and breathe on me when I wasn't looking? Or is the Respiratory Virus From Hell communicable over the 'net?

Now I have the same crud but since you two seem to be surviving I guess I can, too. If I don't dehydrate like a prune first.

"Hork it up"...yeah, that fits. :censored: :censored: :censored: Bob

I take OTC Benadryl to dry my sinuses up so I don't drip snot like a leaky faucet and the stuff magically turns snot into JB Weld in the middle of the night. I need a kevlar hankie.

I take OTC Benadryl to dry my sinuses up so I don't drip snot like a leaky faucet and the stuff magically turns snot into JB Weld in the middle of the night. I need a kevlar hankie.

OW! KEVLAR? My nose is sore and chapped from the day of hell with insufficient hankies. The toilet paper in the truck was too rough. I think I'll have to prewash today's hankies. Wow, this is a nice whiney thread. :confused: Since I have the lung fungus, I take half a dose of Primatene in the morning. That's stuff you have to almost be fingerprinted to get. Well, gotta walk the dog. Will fill my pocket with Puffs.:(

More beer needed I think. I will have to take up a case of Oly and drink it there by that log to see if it will do its thing.[/QUOTE]
along this line---oly beer still being made??????????? havent seen that here in years------also--you loggers are cracking me up!!!! but at least we find out the truth from the fiction-------------

Last edited:
Huh, know anyone that appears in that documentary? I'm thinking about buying it. I think it'd be more informative and professional than Ax Men.

no i dont' know anybody thats in that one, but one of my friends who is a faller knows some people that were on the 'Death in the Forest' documentary.

i think i know the one you're talking about though, is it the one that says 'custom cutters' or something like that? i haven't seen the whole documentary but i've seen the youtube clips. looks like its probably a good film.

Last edited:
That lumber your talking about is Pine Beetle lumber from B.C. Just about every stick of pine in B.C. is dead and the mills and loggers are high grading like crazy. 90% of Canadian lumber goes to the U.S. Why? because the U.S. has 10 times the population Canada has.The American whole salers, the builders and the public in the states love our cheap lumber.Weyerhauaser based out of I believe Portland Oregon is one of the largest lumber producers here in Canada. Our lumber mill here in northern Manitoba [Tolko] which is owned by a couple of Canadian brothers from B.C. produces a million b.f. a day and are only a small operation. All the Weyerhauser mills around here are shut down because they don't like competition. Their huge pulp/paper mill in Prince Albert, Sask. has been shut down for 2 years. Our Tolko opertion here also has a pulp/paper mill and they can't produce it fast enough .Their enjoying record sales because their niche is cement and dog bag paper made from our strong slow growing soft wood fiber here.The lumber div. supplies the chips.Paper is not in the NAFTA deal so the border is wide open.Record number of mills are shut down across Canada but the Tolko mill here runs on EFFICIENCY.

if i'm not mistaken, i was told weyerhauser is now run by a canadian company based out of toronto called Brascan or something like that.

edit: just looked it up. apparently they paid $1.2 billion for 5 mills, 258,000 hectares of private timberlands, and rights to 3.6 million cubes of public timber (TFL's). not sure how much, if any, that left weyerhaeuser with. (From http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2005/02/18/brascan-050218.html)

if i'm not mistaken, i was told weyerhauser is now run by a canadian company based out of toronto called Brascan or something like that.

edit: just looked it up. apparently they paid $1.2 billion for 5 mills, 258,000 hectares of private timberlands, and rights to 3.6 million cubes of public timber (TFL's). not sure how much, if any, that left weyerhaeuser with. (From http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2005/02/18/brascan-050218.html)

A good read Gavin, from what I understand from the article is Brascan only bought 5 saw mills and 2 planer mills from Weyerhaeuser. No one owns Weyerhaeuser but Weyerhaeuser. As far as I know they are still the largest forestry company in the world.

OW! KEVLAR? My nose is sore and chapped from the day of hell with insufficient hankies. The toilet paper in the truck was too rough. I think I'll have to prewash today's hankies. Wow, this is a nice whiney thread. :confused: Since I have the lung fungus, I take half a dose of Primatene in the morning. That's stuff you have to almost be fingerprinted to get. Well, gotta walk the dog. Will fill my pocket with Puffs.:(

Another remedy for clearing sinuses (don't try this!) that I found by accident and my sorrow.

Wife had a old canister of pepper spray. Wondering if it ws any good, I stepped outside and sprayed a cloud. The brain fart was stepping in and taking a sniff.

For the next 15 minutes I was either coughing and spitting or mopping my nose - ran like a fire hose.

Harry K

Another remedy for clearing sinuses (don't try this!) that I found by accident and my sorrow.

Wife had a old canister of pepper spray. Wondering if it ws any good, I stepped outside and sprayed a cloud. The brain fart was stepping in and taking a sniff.

For the next 15 minutes I was either coughing and spitting or mopping my nose - ran like a fire hose.

Harry K

I usually, but haven't this time, make something and put a lot of Jalepenos in it when I have a cold. I made pepper spray last year unintentinally. Was following a recipe for a sauce. I couldn't find the peppers it called for locally so threw in jalepenos and began "sauteing". Pretty soon my dog wants out, my eyes are hurting and I start coughing. Had to put a fan in the door. Then, that night, I rubbed my eyes with my hand and more fun. That stuff doesn't wash off either.....
Slept decent last night only one coughing event. Will take lots of hankies to work today, the soft ones. I don't have the crackling lungs this morning so I'm horking it out gradually. I think I'll live.:clap: How're the other two? Using Puffs, Kleenex, Western Family or Equate?

I usually, but haven't this time, make something and put a lot of Jalepenos in it when I have a cold. I made pepper spray last year unintentinally. Was following a recipe for a sauce. I couldn't find the peppers it called for locally so threw in jalepenos and began "sauteing". Pretty soon my dog wants out, my eyes are hurting and I start coughing. Had to put a fan in the door. Then, that night, I rubbed my eyes with my hand and more fun. That stuff doesn't wash off either.....
Slept decent last night only one coughing event. Will take lots of hankies to work today, the soft ones. I don't have the crackling lungs this morning so I'm horking it out gradually. I think I'll live.:clap: How're the other two? Using Puffs, Kleenex, Western Family or Equate?

Puffs? Girly stuff. I cut some squares from an old lumber tarp...I look like Rudolph but maybe the abrasive action will carve a few centimeters off of my beak. :) I tried some of those medicated tissues but if they touch my glasses I get smear streaks and there's one more thing to be grumpy about.
You realize, of course, that you've added a new word to my vocabulary. Horking....that is very descriptive. I'm still chugging around. I always figured if I could walk I could work...just not walking very far.

Puffs? Girly stuff. I cut some squares from an old lumber tarp...I look like Rudolph but maybe the abrasive action will carve a few centimeters off of my beak. :) I tried some of those medicated tissues but if they touch my glasses I get smear streaks and there's one more thing to be grumpy about.
You realize, of course, that you've added a new word to my vocabulary. Horking....that is very descriptive. I'm still chugging around. I always figured if I could walk I could work...just not walking very far.

I have a Hitler style chapped spot under my nose. Icky. I've been running late cuz I want the horking calmed prior to going to work. I think life will return to normal next week. Keep on...:cheers:

You two are disgusting talking about stuff like that! I'm as right as rain today. Yeah me! Dern good thing too cause our scout troop is going camping this weekend and it is raining. The bestest thing to do take one, only one, shot tequila early in the morning.

You two are disgusting talking about stuff like that! I'm as right as rain today. Yeah me! Dern good thing too cause our scout troop is going camping this weekend and it is raining. The bestest thing to do take one, only one, shot tequila early in the morning.

LOL...We're not being disgusting...we're being descriptive. Thanks for the tequila suggestion but so far the meds are working. I like tequila so much I don't drink it anymore.

Latest posts

Back