when does Axe Men air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for more benadryl and sleep. I'm being a stereotypical FS employee and taking tomorrow off to try to get better. :clap:

The crud has been through the timber shop and is now hitting the biologists!:clap: :clap: :clap: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
It was a 4 hankie day today. A fine and miserable day in the rain too. But we are PNWers and we love it. :)

Rain? We call that stuff "moisture" down here. At least, they do on the news and weather stations. We are supposed to have more "moisture" every day in the PNW for the next week.

But yah, we love it! Why, just the other day I was out cutting wood with the 361 and it started to rain, and I did not even notice it. I looked around after a while, and thought to myself, "Oh, we are getting some moisture..." and went back to cutting up some rounds into firewood. Even my cat goes out in the rain to hunt for voles. He comes in soaking wet, and does not seem to notice it or mind being wet.

On Sirius

Axmen interview today (3-14) Sirius Road dog Trucking channel, 11 am-3 pm EDT. Freewheelin' show. Replay early Monday am 2 am-6 am EDT.

Rain? We call that stuff "moisture" down here. At least, they do on the news and weather stations. We are supposed to have more "moisture" every day in the PNW for the next week.

But yah, we love it! Why, just the other day I was out cutting wood with the 361 and it started to rain, and I did not even notice it. I looked around after a while, and thought to myself, "Oh, we are getting some moisture..." and went back to cutting up some rounds into firewood. Even my cat goes out in the rain to hunt for voles. He comes in soaking wet, and does not seem to notice it or mind being wet.

I'm not sure the others realize that there is fog, light drizzle, drizzle, heavy drizzle, rain etc. Newcomers call it all rain but we have a complicated rating system that ends with "Frog Strangler". I would call yesterday's moisture rain because I put on a raincoat. I usually don't in the various drizzles.

Yah, lovely drizzle... I usually do not take note of that stuff. Rain is well, rain. From the various fogs and drizzle types that you mention, there is sort-of rain, light rain, meduim rain, and rain. Then there is what I call rain-rain, or raining raining, or really raining which is a steady rain that I will stop working in. One will get soaked fast in raining rain. Then there are the havy rain types, above raining raining. Starting with hard rain, and then heavy rain, and then fat rain, which is heavy rain in more sparce dropmets, but they sting when they hit you. My brother calls that 'chubby rain' after the fake movie that they made in a Steve Martin movie. Then there is raining buckets, and raining small animals, and then raining in sheets. That is when we get sheets of rain in variations that you can see. Then there are torrents of rain, and raining large animals. Then last on the rain list, there is cloudburst. I have only experienced that a few times, once here, once in Mexico, once in San Diego, and once in Portland when I was a kid driving around with my father. Things just let loose, and the world is flooded in about 20 minutes of solid heavy downpour. 2 inches an hour+ stuff. This usually leads to flash flooding. Then there is the evil freezing rain, that turns to ice when it hits anything.

Right now we are between steady drizzle and light rain here. "Is it raining?" rain. Spring has sprung, and the daffodills are flowering now. Spring showers today. Enough to stop us from spraying today, so nothing to do but play on the 'puter. Ick, I have to do my taxes today too... :jawdrop:

hey, i see a whole lot of west coast loggers on this forum, i usually hang out on the millin' forum but wanted to see what everybody thought about the axmen show. just wanted to see if anybody besides me heard something about loggers on the east coast didn't know anything about the west coast way of logging. i logged in the east tenn, sw va and east ky area for 25 years or so and we might have been behind on the cable and helilogging stuff for a while, maybe didn't want or need it, but you could put a film crew on some of the old time logging, cuttin' and skiddin' [and roadbuildin'] on some of these impossible slopes around here and have people sittin' on the edge of their seats. course everythings changing here too, can actually watch the choppers from the house sometimes. bad thing, the landowner gets screwed when they sell the supposedly inaccessable timber that has to be helilogged.:givebeer:

hey, i see a whole lot of west coast loggers on this forum, i usually hang out on the millin' forum but wanted to see what everybody thought about the axmen show. just wanted to see if anybody besides me heard something about loggers on the east coast didn't know anything about the west coast way of logging. i logged in the east tenn, sw va and east ky area for 25 years or so and we might have been behind on the cable and helilogging stuff for a while, maybe didn't want or need it, but you could put a film crew on some of the old time logging, cuttin' and skiddin' [and roadbuildin'] on some of these impossible slopes around here and have people sittin' on the edge of their seats. course everythings changing here too, can actually watch the choppers from the house sometimes. bad thing, the landowner gets screwed when they sell the supposedly inaccessable timber that has to be helilogged.:givebeer:

I have learned, that everything can be logged. Just what do you want to pay for it and what do you want it to look like afterwards. Helicopter costs are quite high and the market here is quite low so I wouldn't really think the landowner is getting screwed. Just sold at the wrong time.

I'm not sure the others realize that there is fog, light drizzle, drizzle, heavy drizzle, rain etc. Newcomers call it all rain but we have a complicated rating system that ends with "Frog Strangler". I would call yesterday's moisture rain because I put on a raincoat. I usually don't in the various drizzles.
My rule of thumb is if there is moisture in the air and you dont here it its in the drizzle/fog stage when you can here it hitting your clothes its rain and when you can hear it coming its heavy rain. All these are also known as a typical western Washington day.

I'm home for day 3 of massive mucous loss. Just opened up box number 3 of Puffs. So, since I am stuck here, I was able to watch the Live show a short time ago, obviously not live. Had to suffer through a million commercials and a long interview with (is this not ironic?) Woody Harrelson who I can't stand.
The loggers got about 5 minutes. Jay Browning ( I think) told how he lost part of his hand and I about lost my lunch. He tripped near a moving block and got his hand sucked through. Ick. Then they did a cute skit with some guy named Guillermo, showing clips from the show interspersed with Guillermo eating pancakes and getting a splinter in his hand. It ended with Guillermo in a backyard supposedly dumping a bush in a swimming pool and then they all got chased out by the homeowner. That was it. Now I'm going to dose myself with Benadryl. Good Night.:dizzy:

Here's the magic cure all for all that ails ya---VODKA,LOTS & LOTS OF VODKA.

Ax Men

Just started reading this thread. Downloaded the first Ep. of Ax Men and watched it. Looks like a good show. Dloading Ep 2&3 now will check them out tonight Thanks for the info about the show.

Yah, I watched episode 3 here at my brother's in High Def. Man, BLING-vision sure makes it more jazzy! The detail is amazing in HD. Also in #3 they get down to sawing and felling more, and less on yarding. The storm that hits at the end of #3 is a smaller one though; we get those regularly here in the PNW.

I was up in Vernonia and Banks and North Plains yesterday. Got some interesting photos that I will post later. We also went off-roading near Idiot Creek in my brother's tomb Raider Jeep. We have done a lot of off-roading over the years up there in Brown's Camp, pretty much in the center of where the show takes place. Also as the show gets into in later episodes, the economy slows down to a crawl, where it still is there now. My friends up there are still just felling firs for firewood and selling it to subsist. The lumber industry remains in the dirt. Sadly...

I watched the show for the first time last night. Pretty cool. I was surprised that one of the crews let that young fella' help with falling when he had no falling experience. If that's the norm, then where do I sign up? :greenchainsaw:

I helped out a logging crew just a little bit here in Colorado last summer, and I said that I wanted to be a faller. They said the chainsaw is ancient now and that feller-bunchers have replaced the faller. But it didn't look to me like you could get a feller buncher around in that terrain that is seen in Axe Men. So, in the PNW, are there more fallers than mechanical harvesters, or are we seeing a rarity on the show with all the felling done with a saw?

I watched the show for the first time last night. Pretty cool. I was surprised that one of the crews let that young fella' help with falling when he had no falling experience. If that's the norm, then where do I sign up? :greenchainsaw:

I helped out a logging crew just a little bit here in Colorado last summer, and I said that I wanted to be a faller. They said the chainsaw is ancient now and that feller-bunchers have replaced the faller. But it didn't look to me like you could get a feller buncher around in that terrain that is seen in Axe Men. So, in the PNW, are there more fallers than mechanical harvesters, or are we seeing a rarity on the show with all the felling done with a saw?

When the lumber market is better, there is still a lot of ground too steep or too wet where chainsaws are still the norm. Most of the fallers around here started out on a rigging crew or were born into it and learned from their dad or other relative. There was a young kid 18, who came to work in the rigging but then ended up following one of the cutters around and bucking.
Most guys learn how to buck before falling.

axemen

this is one of the best reality t.v. shows i have ever seen. Its about time they put something on t.v. that is good and i like. Can't wait till this weeks episode.:greenchainsaw:

You're gonna get hand felling wherever the land is too steep and/or rocky and the timber is all running big. PNW, Appalachians, for example. Or where the productivity of the crews is too low to get the utilization required to pay for the tracked or wheeled fellerbunchers or processors.

Other than being harder and not as cool, I've wondered why the newer guys will get stuck with limbing topping and bucking. I've always considered that more dangerous than felling. Statistically, I've heard 85% of cutters deaths are within 15 feet from the stump, not limbing, etc. I don't know. Maybe those deaths are fellas like the one "expert" in CO "felling" christmas trees without PPE- he could've been limbing and less than 15' from the stump.

I thought the most interesting aspect of the latest episode was the segment where the guy with 30 years' experience as a faller was teaching his son how to fell trees. The veteran's motto was to stand close to the tree until the last second and then "run" or "get out of the way" or something like that. He claimed that you don't want to turn your back and run from the tree as the hinge starts to open because then you won't see everything.

They showed pictures of him dropping a couple trees: he has his saw (one handed) in the kerf with the hinge opening up and his other hand is up on the stem as the tree is going over.

I understand that the ground is covered in debris and it's hard to get away from the falling tree, but I can't believe this guy survived 30 years of falling trees standing at the stump as it's going over.

He was saying make sure the tree is committed to the fall so you know its not gonna come back over on ya. If ya think its gonna fall one way so ya start focusing on where your going and something like a wind gust tips it back yur screwd. Do you get a tree to the point of teetering walk away and find out its not falling? Now walk back up to the tree and finish he job?

Latest posts

Back