Where do you get your chains from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you guys sharpen your own chains. ive seen the same talk from local guys about how stihl chain rocks, but these same guys cant sharpen a chain to save there lives. turns out they found i can do a pretty good grind and im busy bustin out chains.

ive also found a few people who cant grind but will just keep buying new chains so they end up with a #### ton of rocked and otherwise useless chains ive also been doing these

i also feel that lgx cuts better after the first sharpen. but either way out of the box or ground ill pic the lgx over the stihl and stihl is good but its not enough better i guess i dont cut big enough wood or enough wood to notice the difrence.

what kinda wood is the rsk stopin on the lgx in. are these outa the box or after sharpen just curious. curious cuzz mostly i dont belive it

Hey Evan,

If you hand file, you can tell the difference.

Stihl chain is the hardest, then Woodland pro, then LGX by my experience.

I prefer the LGX when I hand file, and it seems to file the easiest of those three.

I agree ...

I find Stihl chain rock hard to file compared to Oregon LPX.

Files hardly last any time with Stihl chain either.

Because LPX is cheaper and a pleasure to file I buy that.

Carlton chain is about half price here compared to Stihl but I haven't used any.

How does it compare to similar type Stihl or Oregon chain?

I prefer semi-chisel non safety chain. I usually buy from Bailey's online. There aren't as many choices in semi chisel. but oregon or woodland pro are both equal performers in my book.

I cut mostly in sandy dirty conditions and often the logs have been skidded with a skid steer by the time I get them. Semi chisel chain last about three times as long between sharpening as full chisel for my use. I find it easier to sharpen too.

Latest posts

Back