Where do you ll get your chains for your Rollomatic ES Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but the rollomatic es is a pro bar.

So the chain is the same that you run on a stihl E bar or any other 3/8 .050 bar. The chain isn't specific to the ES bar. All you need the correct gauge and pitch chain, it has nothing to do with the bar. Heck try a husky dealer or any saw dealer in your area, its all universal. Do some reading and searching on the forum here...

Last edited:
No but the rollomatic es is a pro bar.

You need to understand what chain size you need. ES means it has a replacable sprocket tip and is not laminated like an E bar.

Take the advice to read up on the technical aspect of chains and chainsaws.

And by the way, just because you have always put limbs and trees where you want them does not mean you know how. It may mean you are just lucky.

say whatever you want guys the dealers here do not care what you want or need.

They have always been this way with all equipment heavy equipment or hand held.

They carry what they carry and in most cases will not order anything they don't have. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you shop there.

Until you come to this messed up city don't tell me how it works. Most things run the opposite of how they should here.

Again as I said I have experience in tree work, and have done rigging and blocking down. and can put a tree in a small area when taking down. The tree we did yesterday had all debri from the 11 o'clock position to the 1 o'clock position, about a 8-10 foot area wide was the only place I had to lay it down without hitting something else and it came out fine.

Not being able to get good dealers when there are none has nothing to do with our ability to work on tree's or run a business it just means you have to plan a little ahead on any purchase you can see coming.

Unfortunately the rim sprocket broke and messed up the used chain that came with the saw when we bought it(used).

By the way I do have arborculture books that I read at night when I have time. Because you can never know to much about whatever it is you do in life.

You all act like you where born and immediately knew everything there was to know about arborculture and tree removal. Here is a wake up call for all of you with your head in the clouds, You didn't.

also reading doesn't make you know everything either which from being on this site I am starting to think alot of you don't actually work in tree's but just read a lot about it on the internet and like to act superior behind the anonynimity of the internet. It is ok lots of people use the interner to make themselves out to be more then they are. They can't help it, and I don't really blame them or hate them for it. I just kind of feel sorry for them if that is what they need in their life to make them feel whole.

Thanks for looking so far everyone.

NO..... we didn't.

We learned from experience and from asking and listening

The percieved attitude is from you asking a question and getting good advice from this forum, and then you turn around and tell those that are trying to help that they are WRONG.

Those are the one's I'm talking about! You put the end in the hole and wind the direction it says keeping it taught then slide it through the other holes snap the head on and voila!, all the string comes flying out and you get to start again! That's the way it's supposed to work, right?

String flew out? Wrap it in the other direction.

Those little arrows are useless: they don't tell you whether to turn the spool that direction, or to wrap the string in that direction.

You end up clueless and wrong, about 50% of the time.

String flew out? Wrap it in the other direction.

Those little arrows are useless: they don't tell you whether to turn the spool that direction, or to wrap the string in that direction.

You end up clueless and wrong, about 50% of the time.

Either the string flies out or I can use it for awhile but one side won't spool out and will just end up getting jammed inside again. You should see me try and weed-wack. Stopping and respooling every 5 minutes, throwing ####e around, basically making a dam fool of myself.

What brand of string trimmer? What model of head? Take some pictures, I can educate! I am about as expert on string trimmer heads as JOMOCO is on cableing trees.

When you wind the string, make sure that both lines are wrapped in the same direction. Turn the spool, winding the string up with the spool, holding a finger between both lines: no twisting! The direction of turn is important on some models, and not on others.

DO NOT wrap the string around the spool, holding the spool still and wrapping with the string. This will put twists between the strings, and they will eventually bind up inside the head: Jammed EVERY time, within about 5-10 bumps of the head.

Last edited:
What brand of string trimmer? What model of head? Take some pictures, I can educate! I am about as expert on string trimmer heads as JOMOCO is on cableing trees.

When you wind the string, make sure that both lines are wrapped in the same direction. Turn the spool, winding the string up with the spool, holding a finger between both lines: no twisting! The direction of turn is important on some models, and not on others.

DO NOT wrap the string around the spool, holding the spool still and wrapping with the string. This will put twists between the strings, and they will eventually bind up inside the head: Jammed EVERY time, within about 5-10 bumps of the head.

That's ****** brilliant man! Turn the spool while holding the string still. I feel like such an idiot now. The weeds don't stand a chance...ya know, when the snow melts and they have time to grow and become an annoyance in 6 mos. Thanks though.

Hey Blake! You're not done yet.

Some trimmer heads will unscrew themselves right off the machine if they are wrapped the wrong direction. With your trimmer head LIGHTLY screwed together, pull HARD on both the strings left hanging out the head.

If you went the wrong direction, it will unscrew itself (sometimes only on the inside). If wrapped the right direction, it will tighten down until it stops. If it makes no difference, then you won't see any changes when you pull it's strings.

Don't feel bad about the wrapping thing, either. I have been training people for 25 years, and almost everybody starts out that way. Then they discover it don't work that way. Chances are good that you are one of those very capable fellows that assumes that if you tried your best and it still isn't working right, something must be wrong with the machine.

Hey Blake! You're not done yet.

Some trimmer heads will unscrew themselves right off the machine if they are wrapped the wrong direction. With your trimmer head LIGHTLY screwed together, pull HARD on both the strings left hanging out the head.

If you went the wrong direction, it will unscrew itself (sometimes only on the inside). If wrapped the right direction, it will tighten down until it stops. If it makes no difference, then you won't see any changes when you pull it's strings.

Don't feel bad about the wrapping thing, either. I have been training people for 25 years, and almost everybody starts out that way. Then they discover it don't work that way. Chances are good that you are one of those very capable fellows that assumes that if you tried your best and it still isn't working right, something must be wrong with the machine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, man. If I didn't hate wacken' so much I'd be all sortsa pumped to get out there and give...it...a...whack?

Dont feel bad TKO, I cant put string on a weed whacker to save my life!! :)

:jawdrop: On my to-do-list (still):dizzy: Glad the spool ran out and it's been snow ever since. Which way should/do I need to turn it again.

TKO just have them order you a few chains...The dealers in your area are not use to dealing with that dimension of chain, strange that they don't carry that size spool to cut up chains for other size saws. I can go to simplicity and have them throw(cut) together a chain for that or whatever I need (they carry Delmar and are willing to deal). Stihl dealer will order what I want even if it is not in there normal stock.

:jawdrop: On my to-do-list (still):dizzy: Glad the spool ran out and it's been snow ever since. Which way should/do I need to turn it again.

TKO just have them order you a few chains...The dealers in your area are not use to dealing with that dimension of chain, strange that they don't carry that size spool to cut up chains for other size saws. I can go to simplicity and have them throw(cut) together a chain for that or whatever I need (they carry Delmar and are willing to deal). Stihl dealer will order what I want even if it is not in there normal stock.

If you ask a dealer here to order something they look at you like you just cut off there leg( sometimes I wish I had) The few times they will order they take forever and mark the price way up to double what it should be and then ad the freight charges on top. Which are usually crazy and many times is almost the price of the item and sometimes more.

But most of the time they just say if they don't have it it doesn't exist. Most do not know what jonsered is.

Wow, you live in the land of Still-less-ness. Sad that. Here I get the same BS at some stores, so I go to another one. Many do not know their arses from a hole in the saw. I have found that a lot of saw shops do not know much about saws, or the guy that does is at lunch. I have gone to pro shops and requested chains, and been laughed at or told that I should run something else. I either tell them off, or set them straight, or just go to another saw shop. I am the one with the money, and I am the one running my saws, not them. There are gobs of Stihl shops here in the PNW. I have had a hard time finding RM chain here that I like to run, but I have found it.

3/8 standard 0.050 chain is pretty common around here (in the PNW). 3/8 standard in 0.063 is less common here. I have both types of bars and chains. Either size can be 'pro' chain, depending. Stihl uses yellow and green coding for their bars and chains. Look on the Stihl web site or the Stihl catalog and you will see the different types of chains and bars that they make. Wider nose bars with higher count nose sprockets tend to be yellow, or non-safety bars. They are coded yellow, like your ES 25 inch bar is. That means it is prone to more kick-back than a smaller nose bar which would be coded green. Also chains are coded different, according (again) to the kick-back potential of the chain. Yellow chain tends to have more kick-back poitential than does green chain.

A misnomer here on AS and in some logging and arbor circles is that green bars and chains are homeowner products, and yellow bars and chains are considered pro products. Same with saws; the 290 is called a homeowner saw, and the 361 is called a pro saw. However, I have seen many many pros use a 290 in professional situations, as well as homeowners use a 361. In that sence pro and homeowner mean little, really. As for your situation, ES means it is a solid (not laminated) bar and it has a tendancy for higher kickback. If it was a 20 inch ES bar, it would take the exact same chains as say, a 20 inch E (laminated safety) type bar. Homeoner or pro mean nothing here. For example, I can and do run pro ES bars on my 290 (considered a homeowner saw) with non-safety yellow chains. I also run E type laimated bars on my 361 with RM2 chain (green bar and chain). There is no one to stand there and say otherwise. No saw shop goons should tell you otherwise either.

BTW: here is one of the best charts that I have found on Stihl bars and chains (it is by no means complete though):

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf

Last edited:
If you ask a dealer here to order something they look at you like you just cut off there leg( sometimes I wish I had) The few times they will order they take forever and mark the price way up to double what it should be and then ad the freight charges on top. Which are usually crazy and many times is almost the price of the item and sometimes more.

But most of the time they just say if they don't have it it doesn't exist. Most do not know what jonsered is.

TKO you could order the size yourself from a dealer like Bailies or another on this site the prices are very reasonable.

I personally would still find a dealer that is willing to work with you, sthil chains seem to hold up better. I just had my perferred stihl dealer ordering me some oregon parts for a polan. Not some thing they usually do but if they want to continue to do business with me they will do what it takes to keep me coming back. Had to look up the part #'s myself for them to order. They still wont cut me a deal on the price of a new saw :chainsaw: 361 or 460.

Could be there (stihl set price :check: ) loss on a sale since I have been looking (got an itch:bang: ) and as I stated above a Simplicity has Delmar (willing to wheel & deal)...Stopped there to get chain made for a friends Husky 51, (was given the run around from other local stores were I was at the time with a chain for that model) ended up there and the owner was very helpful. If I need something while in that area I will be doing business there again. get a 70cc+ delmar for the price of a stihl 361 :cheers: . Where is the wife's checkbook, 4wheel drive and bored in the snow.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back