where is the stihl 361 made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1rules

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My buddy from work has a stihl 361 and was asking me where it is made. At first I thought germany but now im wondering if it is virginia beach. Anyone know for sure?

The US sold ones were made at VB, and wasn't exactly the same saws as the German made ones. The ones that is currently sold on some markets are made in Brazil, as far as I know.

The US sold ones were made at VB, and wasn't exactly the same saws as the German made ones. The ones that is currently sold on some markets are made in Brazil, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info! Any idea how to tell if you have a german made 361? What were the differences?

I just found a list from 1998 (Stihl document).

It stated;

1 = Germany
2 = USA
3 = Brazil (don't know where I had 6 from)
4 = China
6 = Japan
9 = "various".

May Have to Define "Made"

I just found a list from 1998 (Stihl document).

It stated;

1 = Germany
2 = USA
3 = Brazil (don't know where I had 6 from)
4 = China
6 = Japan
9 = "various".
Well, I think you still have to define what "made" means. Most of the parts were probably fabricated in Germany and perhaps assembled elsewhere. The USA hardly makes any parts these days and assembles whatever arrives on the boats.

I just got an 025 in today that I figure had to have been assembled in the USA (SN #250214...) According to the IPD, the wrong carburetor was installed. Lord knows how it ran for 10 years as well as it did.

Well, I think you still have to define what "made" means. Most of the parts were probably fabricated in Germany and perhaps assembled elsewhere. The USA hardly makes any parts these days and assembles whatever arrives on the boats.

I just got an 025 in today that I figure had to have been assembled in the USA (SN #250214...) According to the IPD, the wrong carburetor was installed. Lord knows how it ran for 10 years as well as it did.

SWEEEEEEEEET. Well, maybe. Where are the MS441's made? Or did I just get lucky with a serial number starting in 1? All my other Stihl stuff starts with 2, new and old...

I've been through the factory and I can tell you that there are alot of parts made there.
Not sure about casting metal, but metal parts machined, and plastics molded there.
Their equipment is made there, not just assembled.

General rule of thumb is that most of stihls “pro” saws are made in Germany. Can’t see any logic in paying stihl prices for stuff that aint made in Europe. The serial number will tell all.

I've been through the factory and I can tell you that there are alot of parts made there.
Not sure about casting metal, but metal parts machined, and plastics molded there.
Their equipment is made there, not just assembled.
Well, yes and no. I've heard that it varies from one product line to the next and from one model to the next. To make matters more complicated, it varies from one year to the next. Pinpointing the origin of any product that Stihl now "makes" at any point in time has become next to impossible. If you go back about 30 years and the product said, "Made in West Germany", then the odds were pretty good that all the parts were made and assembled there. However, I fear those days are gone.

General rule of thumb is that most of stihls “pro” saws are made in Germany. Can’t see any logic in paying stihl prices for stuff that aint made in Europe. The serial number will tell all.

I have no problems paying "Stihl prices" if it's U.S. made.

Regardless, the origin of the saw does not have any bearing on price as compared to the country where it is eventually sold.

You definately have a point there!

Latest posts

Back