Where to learn about Chain Saw Maintenance and Timber Stand Improvement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Grolbert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I grew up around my father cutting up a log truck load of logs every winter for heat and was in my local high Schools FFA Forestry Program all 4 years. But I got out of High school 15 years ago and my buddy bought 180 acres of land (80 acres is a dense hardwoods, 60 acres of mixed grass and hardwoods and 40 acres of crop ground) There is alot of black oak, maple, ash, elm and walnut to name a few.

Question #1
Were are working with the Local Department of Natural Resources to guide us on what we can do to Improve the land.
This is all fine and Dandy but I wanna learn stuff on my own and since I have forgetting most of my forestry knowledge from High school and I would like some advice on where I can go on my own to learn about TSI.

Question #2
I don't wanna have to take my saw into the shop ( I hate having to relay upon someone else to fix my stuff) every time it needs work. I would also like some advice on any online courses or books that would help me alot. Not to mention I would like to start buying my chain in bulk because its cheaper.

I know all of this stuff cost money but I find fiddling with my chainsaw (the little I know) lots of fun.......But I enjoy also Loading up the John Deere Gator 6x6 with my saw, Honda brush cutter with a steel blade, a logging chain and a couple gallons of water and reclaiming these old logging roads that haven't seen traffic in well over 40-50 years.

I love to take all four of my kids and just walk around the woods ID'ing different trees and watching wildlife and it is amazing how a woods changes from week to week.

Thanks for any advice guys
P.S. I am located in Platteville, Wisconsion

Well, there is a fine forestry school in Stevens Point. They have a reputation for turning out good foresters.

Why don't you want to listen to your county forester? Ask her/him about where you can read up on forestry topics? Ask questions. Maybe even go out to the woods with them? Another way to learn is to look into joining a forestry organization like is in my area, the Warshington Farm Forestry Association. They have meetings once a month with an expert who gives a presentation on some forestry related topic. In the summer, they meet and tour forests, and they put out a publication. I think the Tree Farm organization also does similar stuff.

I guess I mis typed that I don't mind listening to him while were out there I just wanna learn while I am at home on a rainy day sometime

as far as saw maintenance, the chainsaw forum here is a pretty alright if you don't mind weeding through the various monkeys (not mastermind) that will tell you to buy some other brand of saw... Some of them folks do know there trade.

And the forestry stuff, well dig through your locale book stores and libraries, focusing on forestry and timber management, its not a perfect means of learning, but couple that with time in the bushes and eventually you'll pick something up.

Other wise ask some specific questions right here in this forum, there are several foresters that hop in now and then, all of them are smart dudes, and one lady...

ditto on northman and slowp's posts. your county forester is by far the most reliable for your area, I tend to shy away from independent foresters [no offence to any one]
hmmm Pinchot's book on forestry.....I think I spelled that right, maybe someone can help me out there.
common sense goes along way as well, you know a dieing tree is not going to get better and over mature timber is not getting younger. as said the county guy can help with spiecie favor in your area.

Good advice so far. There is no better way to learn than spending time in the woods with someone who knows. There is lots of good information online(there's lots of bad info too), but make sure it's from a reliable source, ie . State DNR's, the U.S. Forest Service, and particularly, university extension services--their job is providing reliable, accurate, practical information to the public. You should also know that some principles of TSI apply no matter where you are, but TSI in WI hardwoods is different than TSI in southern yellow pine. So try to find as much as possible that applies to your area.
For the chainsaw, find an old saw, tear it down, and try to figure out what it needs to make it run, and as stated above, there's a wealth of info here on AS.

Latest posts

Back