where to place the pool HX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK .. I know below Zero and think of swimming .. got to look forword to something!! Anyway I finally got lucky on ebay and got a 130000 BTU stainless steel HX to use for my swiming pool this summer .. so as I design this on paper the question on where to place the HX? I have about a 120 ft run from the boiler to my HX next to the oil burner in the celler. The pool is another 100 ft on the other side of the house. My idea to "T" into the OWB lines right before the plate HX for the house .. valve it and allow the flow to switch to the new exchanger when I want to heat the pool .. so do I install the second exchanger next to my house one in the celler and have the pool pump pump that water the 100' ft back and forth to the exchanger (if it can) or do I mount the new exchanger at the pool .. have the OWB pump now drive the water almost 200 ft but then the pool pump will not have any additional load? Open to experiance or suggestions!

thanks

How 'bout putting the HX in the cellar, run lines to pool, install something like a Taco 009/011/013 stainless pump there...pool pump probably won't do the job.

OK .. I know below Zero and think of swimming .. got to look forword to something!! Anyway I finally got lucky on ebay and got a 130000 BTU stainless steel HX to use for my swiming pool this summer .. so as I design this on paper the question on where to place the HX? I have about a 120 ft run from the boiler to my HX next to the oil burner in the celler. The pool is another 100 ft on the other side of the house. My idea to "T" into the OWB lines right before the plate HX for the house .. valve it and allow the flow to switch to the new exchanger when I want to heat the pool .. so do I install the second exchanger next to my house one in the celler and have the pool pump pump that water the 100' ft back and forth to the exchanger (if it can) or do I mount the new exchanger at the pool .. have the OWB pump now drive the water almost 200 ft but then the pool pump will not have any additional load? Open to experiance or suggestions!

thanks

I must have cabin fever. :crazy1: I was just thinking this same thing yesterday and I don't even have a pool.

I know this is kinda late,,, well very late, but anyway. I'm planning on heating my pool and am certain that i Do Not want the Pool heat exchanger inside the house, because, when it gets to be July and August , stinkin hot and humid, I don't want a heat source inside making it worse. So, definately putting the exchanger outside next to the pool.

Think i'll make something out of stainless. Don't want it in the pool either, with kids using it at times. Mine is dinky 15' round plastic pool maybe 1500 -2000 gallons.

Put it before the pump intake, make sure you can bypass. Its pretty easy to do but most of the time you will need alot of "fittings".
Make sure your aquastate is on the return side of pump so you can get a good reading on what temp it is.

I actually have mine half built in my celler. I found a stainless steel heat exchanger on ebay ... building my own insulated pex (I plan on draining at the end of summer. I am putting in "T"s into the OWB lines just before my regular heat exchanger (my winter setup) and will put valeves in so I can switch the stream from the one HX to the one out by the pool.... I will have to post some pics as I build it .. I sure hope it works .. in NY the summers are not even that warm!!

i did this with my pool, but the mistake i made was Ting into my main lines with the pool lines, underground. I used an beer cooler to make an inslated junction box, and filled it with foam around the valves. but it doesnt work. lots of heat loss because of conduction heat loss. It litterally warms up the insulation..

it doesnt sound like you are doing this but be forwarned. Im going to tear mine up this summer and go direct to the boiler..

Back