Where to start arbor career...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedodge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to learn to be an arborist and become certified. I live in Ma. and not sure where to start. I don't want to be a tree mutilator. I would like to understand the whole thing..Ant help would be great..

Check your state's agricultural website for classes. ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) and TCIA (Tree Care Industry of ? America I think) are the two big ones. Find your local ISA chapter to find out about classes near your area. ACRT is another company that teaches Arborist. And/or find a job working for a reputable tree company as a ground man that is willing to train you while getting paid! It is very hard work and can be very dangerous as well. Take in any advice and learn as much as you can from others! Best of Luck to you!

The ISA website has a ton of info, books, videos... Even some Arborpod videos to learn your knots and some basic rigging. The New Hampshire state library also has a department for arborist information that was created after the big storm a few years ago.

Umass has a school called Stockbridege in Amherst with an Arboriculture program that boast's a ridiculously high rate of job placement for it's graduates.

Arboriculture and Community Forest Management (AS Degree) | Stockbridge School of Agriculture

There's a toy store over in Essex, Mayer Power Products, looks like they have a pretty good selection of gear.

If you want some motivation watch Sherbrooke Trees on Youtube. These guys are incredible.

sherbrooketrees - YouTube

Get yourself a copy of "To fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson. If you want to be a climber too, he wrote "The Tree Climbers Companion". Great books to start cultivating that knowledge base.

I suspect you'll grow to love being out of those trenches.

Do you do any climbing for fun now? Rocks, bluffs, rappel or trees? I like teaching people that have some fear of heights but do it anyway. They seem to pay attention to the safety aspects better! But some folks can just never get comfortable in a tree, It is best to make sure you like being up before you invest time and money in a job that just isn't for you.

Janthorcro,Great information you gave. I will definetely contact ISA and look into that store in Essex. I live in Salisbury and work in Newburyport so it's not far at all. I would really like to climb and learn how.Woodchuck357,loved climbing trees when I was a boy. Didnt use ropes then..=) Not afraid of heights, did framing for many years. But I am a great listener when it comes to safety and proper usage.Especially when it comes to going home at the end of the day. I'm not young in body only in spirit. I'll be 57 in Nov. Still in good shape though and run a small landscaping business when I'm not in the trenches..Thanks for the starting info everyone..

I want to learn to be an arborist and become certified. I live in Ma. and not sure where to start. I don't want to be a tree mutilator. I would like to understand the whole thing..Ant help would be great..

I'm not an arb guy only a lowly faller........jepsons books ok but I'd kinda suggest Gerry Beranek books .....Fundamentals and the High climbers one to.......and if ya wanna understand the mechanics of falling and why etc a copy of D Douglas Dent's book wouldn't go amiss lol.........

Ya might find it a tad difficult at your age to get a comp to take ya on a train ya (not being rude) as climbing be it on spurs, srt or drt is very demanding and ifn ya not done it then spending a day up a stick esp on spurs will knock hell outta ya ..................Learn (ifn ya not already done so) to handle a saw how it feels and what it can do ...........

Best of luck in your endeavors .....there a lot of good info on here and some really well qualified folks to give advice ......some even cross the divide between falling and arb work lol

Joedodge, in this area, the fastest way to get a start at a company is to have a CDL and not be afraid of hard work. Show us 25-35 year olds that you can keep up and they'll be willing to help get you in a tree.

If you want to be on your own, grab the Tree Climbers Companion and pick some brains about gear on this site. Get comfortable in trees without a saw. Then start reading the ISA and TCIA books

Last edited:
Thanks everyone..I'm starting my research based on your help. I have run a saw for awhile. I've got a Husky 455 and an old Homelite XL. Just picked up an Echo 330 and got a really great deal on a Stihl 201. And the 25-35 yr.olds better bring their A game! Never been afraid of hard work...Chief, Who do you work for?

I am looking to grow and learn more. I just don't want to fell trees but learn about the whole thing. The idea of getting involved with the ISA appeals to me. I do definetely want to learn to climb and do rigging but when all that is needed is pruning and thinning I'd like to know the right methods also. Like this site ...seems to be alot of knowledgable people.. Look forward to gettig to know everyone..

Acrt is a good start to climbing but to be a working climber there's still alot left to learn beyond the climbing course. IMO there's so much to learn that you just gotta start somewhere anywhere! While you figure out your game plan just start buying books and reading etc.. Anything you read is knowledge gained. And it won't hurt to keep an eye out for a deal on a saw to add to your arsenal, I started with a 455 and outgrew it pretty quick.

Back