Which 60cc do you like??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the track, light weight is critical, on the street, I'll take the HP. And back in the day, the 427 Ford may have been the most successful race engine in history. I believe it won NASCAR in 69 (when cars were still based on what you could buy), was in the Mickey Thompson Funny Car that broke the 200 MPH barrier, and was in the three Ford GT 40s that finished 1,2 and 3 in the 1966 24 hours of Lemons (an unprecedented accomplishment).

I don't think there is another engine you could name that did that well in so many different venues.

How are your saws doing?
Have a good buddy that bought a brand new 427 from Ford in the early 70s' and put it in a small Falcon. He blew it up a couple days after. He blamed the motor for a long time, then finally admitted it was his fault. He didn't break it in, he just dogged the hell out of it from the start. Said it was a Hell of a ride though! Kills me to hear that story...

What allowed the 427 Ford to do so well in racing (especially the 24 hours of Lemon) was endurance. Ford developed cross bolted mains (instead of just 4 bolt) and a side oilier block (all of the oil went to the bearings, you could not run hydraulic cam).

The 4.6 liter in my current Mustang also has cross bolted mains, as does the newer 5 liter motors.

They also developed numerous heads for the 427 ... Low Riser, Medium Riser, High Riser, Tunnel Port, SOHC & DOHC. The DOHC was designed for NASCAR, but was banned after it's first race (which it won), and production ceased. The SOHC remained popular for drag racing and the Tunnel Port for endurance competition (NASCAR & Lemon). The Tunnel Port could produce 550 HP all day long. The SOHC Single 4 barrel carb was rated at 616 HP straight from Ford, and they made a dual quad version.

Back to saws! Looks like MasterMind is going to do a build on a few 362 C-Ms, can't wait to see the results.

Latest posts

Back