Which brand of helmet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a helmet. Locally, we have Stihl and Husquvarna (SP?) avialable. Is there one that's better than the other? Both seem to be in the same general price range.

Thanks,
Mark

Stihl, of course.

I think they are all made by one or two companies. If you look closely, you might see that they are from the same manuafacturer.

Good question! I've been thinking about this subject as well. I have a couple of plastic construction helmets I've been been thinking of using but am not positive they are adequate. In the old days I saw a lot of the old tin tops and would love to have one of those.

Here are some pics of the two helmets I currently have. The orange one goes with my Stihls the blue one goes with my Farmtrac tractor. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php
\

Any thoughts on how they differ from the chainsaw company's helmets?

...Carl

The blue one is a Bullard model S51 Made in USA. The orange one is from MSA (Mine Safety Appliance Company) Pa, USA.

I'm looking to get a helmet. Locally, we have Stihl and Husquvarna (SP?) avialable. Is there one that's better than the other? Both seem to be in the same general price range.

Thanks,
Mark

I have a peltor one, which is the same company that makes them for Stihl. Mine has a UV red disc on the back to let you know when it needs replacing.

I don't see how you could use them helmets as the proper chainsaw ones have a visor and ear defenders... :confused:

I have a peltor one, which is the same company that makes them for Stihl. Mine has a UV red disc on the back to let you know when it needs replacing.

I don't see how you could use them helmets as the proper chainsaw ones have a visor and ear defenders... :confused:

I wear safety glasses at all times and use ear plugs when needed. I hate being burdened with excess and hot equipment when working in the woods...Carl

Very true, they do make you sweat alot... But wearing protective trousers do too, but i wouldn't want to be without them... lol.

The helmets are all most likely Ansi Z89.1 compliant, which is vertical impact tested, Type I helmet. Type II helmets also provide side impact protection, but these are less common, except for certain applications. The helmets also offer some degree of electrical protection, but it seems that the Stihl helmet is only class G & C, while the other helmets are E,G, and C. (Class E provides protection up to 20,000 volts; G to 2,200 volts; and C is no protection). The old style aluminum hats were class C only. Any construction hard hat would work, if you don't want the visor or ear muffs built in.

I have a stihl forestry helmet, and it fits ok. I have a small head, so it doesn't fit great, but most things don't. If I don't need the visor or muffs, I can flip them up or take them off. Pretty easy to do either. I like it, I just wish it fit a little better.

Here's mine but i suppose it's just a matter of preferance. They both are gonna work the same. If ya got husky saws go with the husky hat, stihl saws, go with the stihl hat. You can see from my sig what saws i have and what helmet i bought. Either one will do the job.

chainsaws148.jpg

The helmets are all most likely Ansi Z89.1 compliant, which is vertical impact tested, Type I helmet. Type II helmets also provide side impact protection, but these are less common, except for certain applications. The helmets also offer some degree of electrical protection, but it seems that the Stihl helmet is only class G & C, while the other helmets are E,G, and C. (Class E provides protection up to 20,000 volts; G to 2,200 volts; and C is no protection). The old style aluminum hats were class C only. Any construction hard hat would work, if you don't want the visor or ear muffs built in.

I have a stihl forestry helmet, and it fits ok. I have a small head, so it doesn't fit great, but most things don't. If I don't need the visor or muffs, I can flip them up or take them off. Pretty easy to do either. I like it, I just wish it fit a little better.
You're stihl doesn't have the adjustable head band. Mine has a knob you turn and it will adjust for all head sizes.

You know your helmets...Thanks for explaination of the grading. These are indeed Ansi Z89.1 E&G. Guess I'll wear them with confidence and they are adjustable from size 6 to 8. I have a very big head :dizzy: and they both adjust to fit very well - won't fall off when I bend over etc...Carl

You know your helmets...Thanks for explaination of the grading. These are indeed Ansi Z89.1 E&G. Guess I'll wear them with confidence and they are adjustable from size 6 to 8. I have a very big head :dizzy: and they both adjust to fit very well - won't fall off when I bend over etc...Carl

The only thing to be careful of is the condition of your hardhat. UV light breaks down the plastic, so if it has been out in the sun a lot, it may not be as strong as it should be. There is no "experation date" on hard hats, but the general rule is replacement after five years or when damaged.

I use my kevlar sometimes. Its alright. Im used to wearing with the 15+lbs of gear that i have to wear when i go outside the wire.

I tried on both Stihl and Husky and decided on Husky. It has more robust muff attachment and is comfortable. Nothing against the Stihl one, I just liked the Husky one better.

Here you can get Stihl pro´s and homeowner helmets. Husky the same. Got a Stihl.

Also bought a Petzl Vertex Vent because needed the chinstrap. Saved my live a week ago. So it´s a good helmet.

Lex

Well, I have Stihl saws, and I just got a pair of UL listed black chaps with POULAN stiched into them ($15). So I might as well get the Husky helmet and make it a complete set... LOL I think I can get the husqvarna helmet for a few dollars less than the Stihl, but since it's a safty product I didn't want to let cost be the deciding factor. Sounds like the Husqvarna might have a bit of an edge on over all safty, durability, and creature comforts.

Thanks,
Mark

I will contribute the following. I have BIG hair. The knobby adjustable one is nice, it can be dialed out for those really big hair days, or smaller. But, it doesn't stay on as well as the click the tab in the hole kind, which is what I wear. I've done quite few acrobatic stunts with the latter. Hats stay on better on dirty hair, but I believe in starting out the day with clean hair. I don't know whether using conditioner affects this or not.
Such a dilemma!:dizzy:

Back