Which is better Stihl or Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish said:
Being a platinum wild thing dealer, I have to be careful what I have to say.
The platinum wild thing school is kinda fun, makes the stihl school look like crap

Fish is that when the darn thing stops and you just toss it in to the roll-off garbage container at the local school instead of spending valuable time and money on an already euthanized sorry piece of mechanical poop to start with.

The guy doing the engineering on those things is the same guy who got fired from GM for making the Vega. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like to break it down to idividual classes. In the 50cc class, I have used a Solo 651, Stihl 026Pro, Husqvarna 346XP, and the hands down winner, the Dolmar 115i. Of course that's not fair because the 115i is NLA in the U.S. In the 60cc class I really like the 262XP husqvarna, which again is NLA in the U.S. I think the Stihl MS361 is best there, with the Husqvarna 357XP a very close second, but that is based on a summary of information from many sources and no first hand experience. In the 70cc class I like the Husqvarna 372XP and the Dolmar PS-7300, but since the 372XP is being phased out, the PS-7300 is the clear winner. The Dolmar wins again at 80cc with the PS-7900. Then at 90cc it's back to Stihl with the MS660. Don't have any established opinions on saws smaller than 50cc or larger than 90cc.

To be a litle more serious, I like stihl in the 76cc + range, although i favor my 372 over my 044. For smaller saws i would go to husky, although i love an 009 with a 12 inch bar. I think the biggest factors are your dealer and of course your preference.

husky! johnson reds may be great but they weigh almost as much as i do! plus huskies will survive their owners throwing them over a cliff ( which the worker - that would be me) has to go pick up and its never in a gazillian pieces! well once there was no saving it! stihls arent bad but they weigh as much as the johnson reds!!!

daddieslilgirl said:
husky! johnson reds may be great but they weigh almost as much as i do! plus huskies will survive their owners throwing them over a cliff ( which the worker - that would be me) has to go pick up and its never in a gazillian pieces! well once there was no saving it! stihls arent bad but they weigh as much as the johnson reds!!!
What did you have for breakfast???????? :Eye: :Eye:

Husky all day long.

The 372XP is the saw to beat. I have run a Dolmar 7300, Makita 6400, Stihl 460M, and 440M, and 038AV. Nothing touchs the 372XP. What a saw.

I have not used a ton of saws, but I have used a MS290, MS 440 and the Husky 372XP. I love the Husky and have not had a single problem with it. The Stihl MS 290 would stall on me and the MS 440 had oiler problems.

I sell both and get this question all the time from first time buyers. Which is better, Chev or Ford, white bread or brown bread?:laugh: These are the two top selling brands world wide and either will give good service with reasonable care. I prefer Husky because I have more experience with it but that is just one man's humble opinion. If I tell a customer that one is better than the other and he doesn't like my choice, then he is unhappy with me. Why would I sell both if one is inferior?

Sthl vs husky

The best saw is one with a sharp chain. They will all do the same thing, some faster by a few seconds, if that. I personally like the Stihl, comfort wise.
If you only cutting firewood with logs 12in across and smaller you can get a Stihl 026 or MS260 MS261 AND IT WILL DO THE JOB. If your cutting 20" and bigger logs sthil 044 046 MS440 ms441 MS460, Whatever you do, dont get the Farmboss ms290 ms291. I like to have at least 2 saws, a smaller saw for the smaller stuff, lighter weight, and a mid/larger saw for the big stuff. If you never used a Chainsaw, start with the smaller saw, and work your way up. My all time favorite would be Stihl 044, it will crush those farmboss saws ms290. Hope this helps.

It comes down to what brand you like to work with more.

Personally I prefer Husky. I dislike the fuel caps and overall extra weight on their saws. I had two people ask me whats a excellent saw to buy, and I never mentioned Stihl for them reasons. ( Even though they are well made.)

Husky is the biggest seller here, but I've been stanning for Dolmar for awhile. Nice change of pace.

:ices_rofl:of course the 044 will crush the farmboss 290,not even in the same league,but they do have there purpose

I bought a farmboss and it was a bad mistake, better off with 026 ms260 almost the same power and lighter. Farmboss is waste of money. Better to save your $$$ for an 044 for just a tad more in weight.

I have one Stihl a ms 192t and its great but I prefer huskys. I think for softwood a husky works better. If i was just cutting hardwood a Stihl might be my choice but i dislike the switch/ choke control on stihls. At he end of the day I think a husky is a bit easier on my hands than a stihl but ymmv.

Every body knows the best saw for the money is a PURPLE POULAN, you can get one on craigs list any time for $20 bucks!!!!!

Latest posts

Back