Which mid-range STIHL?? Long Post Beware.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two biggest shortfalls of the 290 IMHO

1: It is a little heavy for it's power, but a simple 30 min. muffler mod helps that. (the 310 even better since it's a tad bigger on the same chassis)

2: It isn't as easy to overhaul as a typical 'pro' saw (if/when that is required)

That's really about it...

The pluses include reasonable cost, good reliability, & good service life.

Reading that you could possibly work a good deal, I doubt you would ever regret getting the 361.

I'm guessing someone will chime in about the weight, and then the construction (the plastic "chassis" the aluminum engine is bolted into0, and then probably about how they are hard to work on.

All minor I say, if they were that bad then Stihl wouldn't sell thousands upon thousands of them. IMHO it's a great saw for the price and they are in service everywhere.

I'm guessing someone will chime in about the weight, and then the construction (the plastic "chassis" the aluminum engine is bolted into0, and then probably about how they are hard to work on.

All minor I say, if they were that bad then Stihl wouldn't sell thousands upon thousands of them. IMHO it's a great saw for the price and they are in service everywhere.

yep the 029/290 is the number 1 seller

Why? Please be honest. What's the 290s short falls? My curiousity is piqued :)

Very poor power to weight ratio and it's a consumer grade saw. It's not repair friendly either. For the price of the MS290 there are better alternatives from other manufacturers. (ie Dolmar PS5100)

I suggested MS361 because you said you're 29 and have been using chainsaws for years and want to stick with Stihl. You'll appreciate the 361 and it'll serve you for many years to come. I just didn't get the impression in your initial post that you wanted a low end saw with a budget of $500 and plenty of experience with saws. You're within striking distance of a MS361 and it's light years ahead of the 290/310/390 family. It's not too big to do the small stuff and not too small to do the big stuff. It's the perfect 1 saw plan.

Last edited:
The MS290 would probably work for ya, I think our local dealers have them for under $400. I have an 029 with a 20" bar, nice saw, just a little heavy after getting a MS361. If you can allocate a few more $$$ go with the MS361 and never look back.

ms290

as far as the 290 goes I have sold a blue billion of them and not had one complaint but if it was me I would get the ms361 just my 2 cents

PS the CAD will follow look at me I had 1 saw and now Ive got........well you see

Well, I'm a new guy here, but I'll throw in my 2 bits anyway. I cut my teeth on a Stihl 041 farmboss. From '78 until about '95 we heated our home entirely with wood, and that ol farmboss cut every piece of it. The owner of the farm, his son in-law (our neighbor) and one of the grandsons ran homelites. The farmer owned 4 of them, and they had a hard time keeping any 2 of them going at one time. The Stihl never let us down. Around '92 dad traded the 041 in on a new 028 AV super. He had some back problems and the 041 was needing a general overhaul. The 028 ran just fine. More than enough power to pull an 18" bar and cut hickory like it was butter. Well, when I went to college dad started haveing major back problems and the wood furnace was replaced with natural gas. Since then he's only cut 3 or 4 truck loads a year, but the 028 is still running strong, and good as new.

After college I bought an 025 just for some general clean up work. I loaned it to a friend, and he dropped a limb on it, and it was totaled. From what I understand about the 025, that's probably the best that could have happened to it in the long haul. I replaced it with an 024AV, which works great for limbing, but not quite enough umph for hardwoods over 8" or 10". It will do it, but not as quick as you would like. I was finally able to move out of the city and back into rural america 3 years ago, not far from my old college stomping grounds. I hooked up with some of the farmers that I knew back then and started "researching" what saw I was going to get. I knew that I would end up putting a wood furnace in our home. The story that I got unanimously from all the die hard Stihl owners goes like this. When they changed the numbering from 036 to MS360, Stihls marketing finally beat out their work ethic (by the Stihl standard anyway) and the saws went to junk. Small and mid range, the Huskvarna saws now out last the Stihl dollar for dollar. Big saws, Stihl is still the best, but not by much. I was essentially warned to avoid the new Stihls like the plague unless I just liked blowing money.

So what did I do? I kept my 024AV for limbing and some felling, and I just bought an 038 AV Mag off of ebay. It's not here yet, so I can't coment on how it runs, but from what I've read around here that model is a hoss.

Just because you own a piece of land doesn't mean you need the bigest saw on the block to take care of it. When dad bought his 028, the land owner was getting too old to be able to take care of much of anything any more, so dad was taking care of the farm for him in return for all the years of free firewood we cut, and all the hunting we did. Besides, their our friends. He was able to do everything he needed with that 028 AV Super, and you should be able to buy a good one off of e-bay for under $200. The only reason that I didn't go that route was because I wanted something that would cut faster in order to get enough wood cut to heat the house all winter. If I wanted just one saw, the 028 would due. Since I already have the 024, I wanted a bigger saw to do the heavy work quickly, and I wanted something that wouldn't need to be in the shop every other weekend, and would last me a LONG time. The 038 Mag seemed to fit the bill.

If you're patient, now that the holidays are over, I've noticed the prices on e-bay are starting to drop back down a little. If you watch closely, you should be able to find a good deal in a month or two.

Just my to bits (from a new guy),
Mark

just finished a set of muffler mods on two pristine old 029's (changed fuel hose's and installed carb kits) for two fire wood cutters and they just absolutely love them!!!!!! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I owned a Stihl 029 (early MS290) with an 18" bar for 12 years and used it around the farm when trees/limbs fell down and needed to be cleared. It ran flawlessly and did everything I needed to do. It could probably run a 20" bar as long as you don't need to bury it in a 24" tree very often and only use the longer bar to help reach when cutting limbs. For the amount of wood you are wanting to cut you won't have any problem using a MS290.....it will do everything you need to do. The MS290 has a little extra weight for it's power - but you will have to spend more money if you want equivalent power in a lighter package. The only downside I see to the MS290 (and 310/390) is that the design has the cylinder cast integral with the top of the crankcase and if you damage your piston/cylinder and have to pay the shop to do the repairs - it is almost the same price as buying a new saw. If you take care of your saw and keep fresh fuel in it and keep it tuned - you will likely never have to worry about this - you will probably never wear out a 290 with the amount of wood you will be cutting.

Now if you have a desire to be more hip and have a higher priced "professional grade" saw - look at the MS260 or MS361. If you cut wood that is a 12" or less in diameter get the MS260 with a 16" bar and enjoy the lighter weight and nimble size and it will excell in limbing. If you are cutting wood that is over 12" and up to 30" get an MS361 with a 20" bar and enjoy the faster cutting speed at the expense of some weight and nimbleness.

If you are stuck between the "Mid Range" and "Professional" saw and can't decide.......get a 280.

I believe that the 290 or 310 will do everything you need to do and they are very respectable saws and they cut a lot of wood for a lot of people. They will do the job well and makes piles of firewood.....they will not however get much attention if you get together with some other firewood junkies and start talking saws.

There are a lot of good possibilities in my opinion. The MS290 with a 20" is not a horrible choice, but it is more of what I would call a brush saw or farm use saw and not a saw that I would rely on to cut a lot of stuff where you need a 20" for the diameter. The MS260, 270 and 280 are not bad saws, but they stay pretty busy with a 20" bar. If you're looking at the 290 you might also want to consider the 310 and 390. They weigh the same as a 290, still don't cost a fortune, and they both have a little more power for a 20" bar. My reccommendation would be to go ahead and splurge a little and step up to the Stihl MS361. The regular 361 with a 20" bar lists at $599 and this seems pretty high, but when you think about in comparison to the 260, 260 PRO, 270, 280, etc.... it's really not a bad jump in cost for the amount of BHP you achieve when purchasing the MS361. I've got an MS361 with a 25" bar and I love it. I mainly got the 25" for the extra reach it offers and not for the diameter cut it offers, but at the same time I've never lacked any power either.

Latest posts

Back