which new saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRO MAC 850, SUPER 250 Super pro 125 that's on the big side and many others i don't know why no one here ever suggests mcculloch once you get them set up they are true work horses

Buy a 6401 from home depot for 2 bills and then get the 85cc bb kit from baileys for a 100 and you have a big saw with better power to weight than any other saw mentioned and for 300 bucks. Where's the problem with that? That's what I'm goin to do with mine.

My three saw plan is a top handle, my ms280, and then an ms441. I don't have the top handle or the 441.:msp_unsure:

As a generalization:
My opinion:

If the majority of your wood is less than 18", would look at 60cc
If the majority is 18"+, would look at 70cc

You will have to judge the size of wood vs. size of saw

On 60cc, want to be running (no larger than) 20" bar most of the time.
On 70cc, want to be running 25" bar most of the time.

Stihl/Husky

then

Dolmar/Makita

then

Echo

As a generalization:
My opinion:

If the majority of your wood is less than 18", would look at 60cc
If the majority is 18"+, would look at 70cc

You will have to judge the size of wood vs. size of saw

On 60cc, want to be running (no larger than) 20" bar most of the time.
On 70cc, want to be running 25" bar most of the time.

+1

I would say that a 60cc saw is pretty good up to 24" of wood. My 036 runs a 9 pin rim and .325 chain and I really like it for the bulk of my work. I don't fire the 064 up until I get well over 24", or until it's time to noodle. I'd say a 70cc saw is good up to about 36" By good, I mean that it's in it's sweet spot as far as hp vs inches of wood goes. The 70cc will certainly cut stuff bigger than 36", but it's starting to get out of its comfort zone. If the base of your trees are mostly 40", then only the bottom few cuts are going to be over 36", so the 70cc should still be a good fit.

For your needs, it really depends on what you will be cutting most of the time. Not sure how much wood you burn, but I would assume it's at least 3 cords. That would bring you to 12 cords a year, which is quite a bit for one guy. If you are going to spend a lot of time cutting 40"+ hardwood, then 70cc is too small. You will want something in the 80~100 cc range. Yes, a 60cc saw with a 24" bar will get the job done. If you only have one or two trees that size to cut, then the 60cc saw is your best bet. You may be able to handle a 14lb head fine, but taking a pound or two off makes a difference when using it all day. Fatigue sucks. Now, if you're going to be cutting 10+ cords of big wood, it's going to take you forever with a 60cc saw. Then, when you are done, you will need to noodle them down to chunks that you can lift which will take even longer. Even a 70cc saw is on the small side for the job at that point. On wood that size, you won't mind the extra weight of the bar and power head because they will spend most of their time burried in the wood.

If you are cutting a lot, then you won't want to be waiting on that 025 to cut through hard wood that's over about 8", but you also won't want to be hauling around a 14 lb head with a 28"+ bar to cut stuff that's smaller than 20". I don't want to tell you that you have to spend $2000 and buy two more saws. Just take a good honest look at how much wood of what size you will be cutting and decide what you wiil want to end up with down the road. If you think you will end up with a 3 saw plan, then get a 60cc saw now along with an 18" and a 24" bar and chain, and then keep your eyes open for a good used 80+cc saw down the road. If you think you will only end up with 2 saws, then find a good 70cc saw and let her rip. Even with the 70cc saw, I would probably get 2 bars. Maybe a 20"~24" to help keep it light for cutting all day, and a 28" or 32" for the few big jobs.

For what it's worth, I have less than $700 wrapped up in my 3 saws, so if you really do need 3 saws, you don't have to break the bank in order to have the right tools for the job(s). If I were cutting a 40" oak tree, I'd use all 3 of my saws. I'd limb and buck anything under 6" with the 024, then finish limbing and bucking anything under 20" with the 036, and finish the rest off with the 064, followed by one crazy noodling session :)

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back