Which of these Solo 681s looks fastest and strongest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these Solo 681s looks fastest?

• Saw #1

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Saw #2

Votes: 27 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video(s)? otherwise it's a photoshop job as far as i'm concerned. :D

Here it is before the pipe..LOL...:rock:

[video=youtube;sVM1eFonGks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVM1eFonGks[/video]

I don't know much about them 681's but I do know this!

Dre is still Rollin Hard
I vote for Mike and New Ohio Proposition
No Wegmans for miles around this part of NY
DeWalt is gay. Overpriced Junk
I love a good steak
This Saranac Black Forest is Delicious
That 066 Had broken fins
Jason may be the master thread derailer

Don't forget WTF kitty's opinion on this thread.
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/opGVNLImgw4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/opGVNLImgw4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

This is what I think of "Screaming RPM's in the cut on a work saw".
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9JhcQsFJxA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9JhcQsFJxA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

I certainly have no dog is this fight, but this type post has no business being played out in public on AS. It's becoming all too common. Is it SBW instead of AS, SBW standing for saw builder's wars. Is there not room for more than one builder?
Brad you are your own worst enemy, when are you going too learn? I watched Weimiedog get hammered for "calling out another member" member recently. What in the hell was the purpose of this post? It looks like purposely dogging another member. You have made many valuable contributions to the sight, you have more knowledge about saws than I'll ever care to have, but these type self-serving post makes many member's forget that. I will say it publicly rather than in public rather than in pm's that as of late the post seem more like veiled self promotion of the saw building business than post of a contributory nature. I guess thats fine since your a sponsor, just call it what it is. I'll say I have more respect personally for TW's approach about his business. I've seen some sharp cats like Tommy Hall give you some sage advice but you just ignore it.
I would guess as that more than likely there would be a general consensus among most member's that lately there has been a degradation of the amount of respect they have for you. You talk of going to church and behave the way you do on here at times, it's not a way to witness to others. Day in day out I'm prolly not the best example either, as my swearing gets out of hand at times.
The pm that was posted hits it pretty close in my book. Although the 372XT thread was close to full disclosure it stopped short, I'd have posted pics of the inside of the cylinder, as through as you photograph and document post like the 261, I know you prolly took a photo of the inside of that cylinder. I've took apart enough car engines, failed B&S type engines and a yes a couple of failed saw engines to know with the looks of that piston there had to be damage to that jug.
Personally, I'd bought the guy a new saw ported it, since it did pay the tuition for you to learn how to do that model of saw, and took the blew up one documented a new jug piston, whatever else was replaced and sold it on the trading post, even if I lost a few bucks on the deal the replacement would have enhanced you position as a fair builder more then it cost you.
As many have told you when the piper comes calling don't whine when you have to pay up as your post and vids will hang your hiney, your way past the little guy like me or the average member with minor mods, even a ported saw or two, I'm sure your way over a 100 ported saws now, prolly closer to 200 that's some serious cash and way more than a "hobby".
I can tell you that no matter what you do in life there will always be someone better. Telling a guy his saw is not stock is no better than someone saying that your saw after porting was slower. What's the difference?
I will say in some vids it does appear that the saw is being lightly pushed, the 440 /460 top end saw vid comes to my mind, I may be way off on how that saw hold rpms but there isn't much of a change when it's in the wood and when you lift it.
Anyone who has run a saw at all knows there are tricks to making a saw look faster and stronger than it is to the unknowing onlooker, in fact did it myself last Sat to a couple of fairly new Echo lovers. They left thinking Stihl's were the first and last name in chainsaws.lol Hell, if I were in your position what do you have to lose doing a build off, you would prolly gain more respect even if you lost. What do you have to lose, I would either do it or quit talking up how fast my saw's were. So it's not race saw against race saw do sustained cutting for a full tank of fuel after a pre-determined number of timed cuts, just do your timed cuts and then go to the wood pile and run them until they run out of gas.
After the build off and saw off, both guys should then document their builds including photo's so average guys can learn a little. It could actually benefit the site. I've never has a fight with a guy that afterward I didn't have more respect for and usually become pretty good friends with them.
Again, maybe I have missed some post, but this one and several others lately have reeked of conceit, pride, self promotion and not a great reflection of a guy who goes and sits in a pew frequently, how you act is between you and the creator and I'm wrong for being judgemental. I really think your a better man than the guy on AS, prolly a really decent guy to be around. I know I think about my legacy more than most having a terminal illness, man life is short, today before I speak out, act on things I definetly try to think how those words or actions will be perceived down the road, really after I'm gone. How will they affect my kids, used too I'd be the first to tell someone to kiss my azz, go to hell, etc. I was knocking down close to 300k a year, had the world by the tail, had the title, the house, the vehicles, etc. thought I was pretty important, didn't give a **** what anyone else thought, I was it, a self made guy, knew it all. You know the Lord really blessed me when I got this little health problem, it took it too open my eyes on what was really important, God, Family, Friends and Health, the rest is all bullchit.
Your young, full of pizz and vinegar and are just a tad self centered imho, just make sure your the guy you want to be remember as when you look in the mirror every morning. Enough preaching. Go back to building and more importantly share as much knowledge to these newbs and old guys alike, theres no Lakeside any more. Ole Tommy needs to help these guys out on the technical side too, although I image he's tired of saws by the time he puts in eight hours, there's a ton of saw shop guys on here that could enhance this sight, I'm calling all of you out to make this site better by contributing your knowledge. It's been kind of dry as of late. Brad, this is not to offend, but had to get it off the chest, rather put it out there than other means.

3 pages in and I am thinking, Is this the **** that is slowing down the server or whatever its called?

Why are the chainsaws so important? Its not like ya'll would lose any money if they didn't start in the morning LOL. .:ices_rofl:

Yea it would matter, we're way behind on wood orders, they're calling for snow/freezing rain Sunday and the phone has rang off the hook. Today and Sun afternoon will be long days I'm afraid.

3 pages in and I am thinking, Is this the **** that is slowing down the server or whatever its called?

Why are the chainsaws so important? Its not like ya'll would lose any money if they didn't start in the morning LOL. .:ices_rofl:

Actually, I would loose money if I was starting a saw in the morning. I make a whole lot more money throwing metal chips than I ever did throwing wood chips.:laugh:
The CNC mill isn't as much fun though.

Wow, took me a while to get thru this thread. The best part of the entire read was the "kick-in it Tennessee" video. The original topic died a miserable death before it even got started....IMHO

Those ghetto rappers don't have anything on those guys from Tennessee. I had to watch the entire video just to see if there were any women with anything holding up their b@@bs besides their bellies!:D....LOL....Cliff

Frank, when you build a saw that can compete then you'll have something to say. Until then, you're just making yourself look bad. I believe when I congratulated you on your 5100 you said, "I just bought it". It would be the same as me making fun of Slingr' or some other builder.

Jason, you're totally right, ribeyes are the way to go.

Brad thank you for porting my saws even though the hefty price tag of FREE is kind of brutal.

PB, you're right. Milwuakee all the way!

Eric, I've never met you but I'd be willing to bet that you're the hypocritical illiterate Bozo that banned me for correcting your piss poor pathetic grammar. I also hear you're referred to as a snake. I wonder what you did to get that moniker?

Hey Nik, I built this, I ported it, I built the pipe and Eric made the head, I'd be willing to put my money were my mouth is too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vu-Ng-n71w0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vu-Ng-n71w0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BTW I've ran your BS ported saws, I wouldn't boast to much for the price of free..LOL

I'll show you my free ported saws!

indiansprings, that was a mature presentation, and outstanding advice. I don't rep very many people, so it won't let me rep you.

Brad, I hope you don't ignore his advice. With guys like STIHLTHEDEERE around, it's easy for you to hide behind the "they're just jealous because I'm so high-profile" schtick. That's exactly what you did when I tried to give you advice on how to report meaningful numbers. Left me with the opinion you'd rather report what you want people to see than what is accurate. This "comparison", and your insistence that it means something solidifies that.

This was a worthless, self-destructive, "I have a tiny weenie" thread to start. I'd guess that the folks that lose respect for you for crap like this aren't losing you any money, because they aren't buying saws from you.

When guys like indiansprings start telling you to rein it in, you should listen.

Last edited:
681 with the Snelling cylinder, 16"bar, race chain, 8 pin rim, green basswood.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gabe7Z1p6kI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gabe7Z1p6kI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

681 with the Copsey cylinder, 20" bar, full chizzy work chain, 8 pin rim, same basswood seasoned & frozen.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdtRmimJryU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdtRmimJryU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anywho, back to Dr. Dre...... :rock::rock:

Hey chucker dre is great but you gotta admit big smo rocket it out. I agree with you tho everyonnce in a while you need to hear some real gangster rap.......

where is brad? must be in hiding again,that is what he usually does when things dont go the way HE thinks they should. "he is definately a legend in his own mind"

Lol, I hijacked this thread when I started it:) You can post whatever you want!

As long as you understand im not on your thread starting crap....i joined the crowd that posted dumb things to lighten stuff up a bit. The next time your ohio chainsaw posse has a gtg...I would be so interested in seeing a modern ported saw run...(hint..hint).
Have you ever heard of a saw builder by the name of Mike Overly..from greenfield, ohio? Hes doesnt ever get on here, but he builds race specific saws...not to keen on newer saws....he likes his westbends and mac kart saws.....but he would also be interested in coming to a ohio gtg. I have no idea why he isnt on youtube...he goes to races all over the tri-state...and belongs to some sort of race club.

that's great Frank, you port a saw (which is more than I've ever done) and you're a pro now. Awesome, now go out and make fun of every one elses saws.

Who's saw's am I making fun of? Did I start this thread? Take the blinders off and look around Nik, Brad calls Eric out and then backs Waaaaaaaay off and Eric responds with doing a build with same bar and chain, then all the sudden Brad doesn't want any part of it....Chicken **** if you ask me, If I call Brad out I'm more than willing to back it up, that is more than I can say for him!

You called me out by saying "once I can compete than maybe I can say something"

With your same logic Brad ports saws and that makes him a Pro? Just becasue someone can grind a cylinder and make "some" gains do not make them a pro. It wasn't that long ago Brad was posting on RS asking what blow down was but now he can port saws better and faster than anyone.... Give me a break, I'm no more of a Pro than Brad, at least I'll admit it;)

681 with the Snelling cylinder, 16"bar, race chain, 8 pin rim, green basswood.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gabe7Z1p6kI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gabe7Z1p6kI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

681 with the Copsey cylinder, 20" bar, full chizzy work chain, 8 pin rim, same basswood seasoned & frozen.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdtRmimJryU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdtRmimJryU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anywho, back to Dr. Dre...... :rock::rock:

Yo mother chucker! That can't be the same high reving Brad Snelling 681 in that fi rst vid! You must not have the "lite touch" that Brad does! That saw lost alot of R's in that soft Bass wood with Race chain!

I timed Brad's solo around 2.4 for the fastest cut.
I timed Eric's around a 1.5 fastest cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back