Which one, 550xp or Dolmar 5105?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never ran the 5105 and probably never will, but have ran the 550xp and the 545. They are both very similar and amazing saws. The 545 simply can not be beat for the price, especially for the firewood hack like myself. I would get the 545 if you wanna save some green, but both 545 and 550xp are great saws.

Husky auto tunes work great on the newer ones . theyhave certainly raised the bar with their 550 and 562 models ..dolmar has weak support at least around here and for what it's worth although it's the bigger brother, I know my muffler moded 562 with lgx chisel chain is an absolute beast in the cut you better keep alert and hang on good and watch your face for chips spraying ..the husky small pro saws are light fast nimble and cool features make these new saws above everything else in my opinion

Alright guys, I've been coming here for quite some time and have gotten great advice and I have learned a lot, also. I need help. A dealer close to me carries both Husqvarna and Dolmar. I need a good 50cc saw, so I am looking at the 550xp and the 5150. From what I have read, they are both great saws. Here are my concerns: on the 550xp, how is the reliability of the autotune feature, any major problem? Parts availability for the 5150. The dealer said that even he sometimes had to wait a week or so on parts for Dolmars (he did say that may not be the case for all dealers, but it was for him). the weight of the 5150 also is a little more than the 550xp. Is the 550xp worth the extra $90 over the 5150? Also, I realize there are many fans of other saw brands, but these two are what would work best for me. Thanks for any help.

I bought the Dolmar 5100 when it first came out and liked it, but the lack of a compression release, hard starter rope pull (harder than my other chainsaws which also lacked a compression release) and weight combined to persuade me to buy the Husqvarna XP550. The XP550 is the better saw and a year from now you are apt to have forgotten the price difference. Mine has not had an auto-tune problem, the lighter weight is important for this old person with a bad wrist, and it is a lovely saw to handle. The XP550 vibration isolation also seems a bit superior to what I recall of the Dolmar. I cannot think of any way in which the Dolmar is superior to the XP550. I'm a fan of whatever chainsaw works best.

Alright guys, I've been coming here for quite some time and have gotten great advice and I have learned a lot, also. I need help. A dealer close to me carries both Husqvarna and Dolmar. I need a good 50cc saw, so I am looking at the 550xp and the 5150. From what I have read, they are both great saws. Here are my concerns: on the 550xp, how is the reliability of the autotune feature, any major problem? Parts availability for the 5150. The dealer said that even he sometimes had to wait a week or so on parts for Dolmars (he did say that may not be the case for all dealers, but it was for him). the weight of the 5150 also is a little more than the 550xp. Is the 550xp worth the extra $90 over the 5150? Also, I realize there are many fans of other saw brands, but these two are what would work best for me. Thanks for any help.

I have a 545 and a 550XP. The 550 turns more rpm both free running and in the cut. But it is not enough difference to the firewood cutter to justify the extra cost of the 550XP.
When I use one of mine, I take the other along as a back up. I may start out with either one. The weight & balance and feel is the same. They start the same. I forget which one I'm using. I have the same type bar and chain on both.

As much as I'd like to play w/a 346xp or a 550xp I think I"ll just stay w/my Dolmar 510...not the fastest, or the lightest...but the sog works all day and cuts just fine. I love the way it's set up. It goes well w/my 6421. I've always had Stihls but am trying something different this year. So far I'm very happy. But I think the AT and the MT are getting better all the time. If you like the 550 and it does what you want you should be a happy camper...

For the same price point of a 550XP and .4 lbs more than a 5105, my money would be on a 555. Lots more torque, and revs like a champ.

l don't always vote for husqvana but this time the 550xp wins. It is better in most ways regarding a 50 cc saw. Both good saws however the husky is smaller and more nimble with better throttle spool up. The felling dawg is a bito_O

Just stumbled across this thread.

5105 has a HP rating of 3.9 vs 3.75 on the 550 but the consensus is the Husky has more power. Is this rating to try and lure folks away from Husky/Johnny saws?

Dolmar 5105H is a really nice saw, if you have not run one firsthand, spend some time cutting with one they are strong, limb very well and are good on fuel also.

I had a 346xp and used it a lot, but I like the 5105 better. Everyone has their own experiences, but for the type of cutting I do, the 5105H is a perfect match for me.

Attachments

• 284.JPG
    284.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 78
I would also recommend the 545 over the 550, same saw different colors, without rev-boost (gimmick). If you are looking for a great 50cc saw an looking to save a little coin I would recommend a Husky 450. They can be found for around $280 shipped with a 16-18" bar and chain leaving you a good chunk of money for some beer. From my experience the 450's hold up as well and in some cases better than the 550's. Once broken in and muffler modded with a 16" bar the power and speed is nearly spot on in real work conditions.

Dolmar 5105H is a really nice saw, if you have not run one firsthand, spend some time cutting with one they are strong, limb very well and are good on fuel also.

I had a 346xp and used it a lot, but I like the 5105 better. Everyone has their own experiences, but for the type of cutting I do, the 5105H is a perfect match for me.
What is the focal point of the photo? The egg, the beer, or the saw? ;)

I would also recommend the 545 over the 550, same saw different colors, without rev-boost (gimmick). If you are looking for a great 50cc saw an looking to save a little coin I would recommend a Husky 450. They can be found for around $280 shipped with a 16-18" bar and chain leaving you a good chunk of money for some beer. From my experience the 450's hold up as well and in some cases better than the 550's. Once broken in and muffler modded with a 16" bar the power and speed is nearly spot on in real work conditions.
I had a 450 and it was a nice saw. Sold it to fund a different project. Stock for stock it is a long way short of a 550 but I can imagine a MM would wake it up.

Are you talking $280 for a refurb model? I am seeing them priced locally around $360 although I am sure spike60 could beat that by a decent margin

Back