Which Saw For Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use my saws to cut firewood and that's where most of my heat comes from. I don't use them everyday so I don't have to have top of the line and cost is a factor. I have a Husqvarna 359 and a Poulan Wild Thing. I'm very satisfied with the 359. I use the Poulan for cutting limbs and that's what I want to replace. I want to get a light durable saw that won't set me back an arm and a leg. I thought about the Husqvarna 334T but it's a top handle saw. A saw that is light like the 334T and has a rear handle would probably be perfect. Just keep in mind that I can't spend big money on this saw and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Danny

I use my saws to cut firewood and that's where most of my heat comes from. I don't use them everyday so I don't have to have top of the line and cost is a factor. I have a Husqvarna 359 and a Poulan Wild Thing. I'm very satisfied with the 359. I use the Poulan for cutting limbs and that's what I want to replace. I want to get a light durable saw that won't set me back an arm and a leg. I thought about the Husqvarna 334T but it's a top handle saw. A saw that is light like the 334T and has a rear handle would probably be perfect. Just keep in mind that I can't spend big money on this saw and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Danny

If you don't mind Echo the CS-306 is only 7.5lbs. and is a good running little saw.

Echo 305 is a fairly durable and inexpensive small saw, even if it lacks some in the power dept, but if you use it for stuff under 6" who cares? RedMax has some nice small saws too that are reasonably priced,, any of the pro top handle trim saws will run over $300

The most bang for your buck in a lightweight, quality saw would be the Makita DCS401. They are being phased out and can still be bought new on Ebay for $225 plus shipping. They are the Dolmar PS-401 in blue, 39cc, 8.8# powerhead, magnesium cases and decomp valve for easier starting. :spam: I have smaller, less powerful saws, and larger, more powerful saws, but the DCS401 is a great compromise between light weight and adequate power for limbing and such.:chainsaw:

The NE346xp will easily replace both of your saws, and place a big smile on your face!!!!!

For just raplacing the WT with a really light saw - look at the 339xp!

Last edited:
The NE346xp will easily replace both of your saws, and place a big smile on your face!!!!!

For just raplacing the WT with a really light saw - look at the 339xp!

He was looking for lightweight, and low cost. The 339xp is $460, and while considerably lighter than the 346xp, costs almost as much.:jawdrop:

As much as I like my small Echos, I wouldn't recommend the 305 or 306. They're only 30cc, and use that :censored: 3/8 .043 chain that dulls if you look at it crosseyed. The 345/3450/346 is the same physical size and weight, 33.4cc, and has the 3/8 .050 91 series chain. THAT is a great little saw for small stuff and limbing.

The small Stihls don't even have adjustable carbs, and use that same :censored: 3/8 .043 chain.

I agree. My little 021 has been great. If I ever wear it out I'll replace it with a MS210. :)

I agree. The 210 would do fine and last for years, the 180 also is a good runner. I have the same insert, how do you like yours?

Danny

If you want a good reliable Chain Saw, that is light weight, well balanced, nice handling saw all around, 58 cc, that you can easily handle from 16", to 28" bars, with out any trouble. I would not hesitate to buy a McCulloch, Mac 1-10, or Mac 10-10 Automatic, or even the Pro Mac 10-10 I have a Mac 1-10, and 2 Mac 10-10 Automatics, that are 40 years old, and over. Run good all day long. Every one of them.
There are lots of these saws on eBay, I paid under $45.00 + shipping for a Mac 10-10, and a Pro Mac 10-10. There are also lots of parts saws you can also get for parts, if you know where, and how to go about it, cheap. This is the only way to get parts for these saws.
If you are mechanically inclined, and can repair your own saws, you will do fine. One Mac 10-10 has been in the family since it was new, in 1968. Original, my Great Uncle had it since new, then my Father Bought it from him. I Inherited the Chain Saw when my Father died.
The Mac 1-10, I bought from the scrap pile at a small engine repair shop, for $20.00 I fixed it up, put a new computer chip in, the points, and condenser were shot. A couple of other minor things needed repaired, but I had those parts here. Great running Saw
Only thing I had go wrong with it, I changed the points, and condenser to a computer chip module. Other than that, never had a problem with it. I cut any where form 18 to 40 bush cords per year, all with McCulloch Chain Saws.
This is only my opinion. I have ran other saws too. Stihl, Homelite, Husqvarna, and Pioneer. I'm sorry to say, they don't hold a candle to McCulloch Chain Saws. The older stuff, I'm talking about. But then again, this is only my opinion.
Bruce.

I'd look at the Echo CS-370 and CS-400. They are selling for under $200 on E-Bay, new in the box. Light, durable, decent power and relatively inexpensive. All of the Echo saws in our line-up have been dead solid reliable. The only ones we didn't much care for were the top handle 301's and 341 with the reed valve engines. They were WAY to slow and underpowered for my liking. The CS-440 is another good unit, usually around $150 to 200 in near new condition on E-Bay........Cliff

I agree with looking on eBay,there are some really good deals to be had you just have to look for them. That is where I got my Redmax, new in box from a dealer for $169. + $25 to ship. It's a strato charge engine and is really good on fuel and nice and light.

I wouldn't try to take down anything really big with it but for the small stuff or taking it with me on my quad it's great.

Thanks for all of the replys and recommendations. I don't really feel comfortable buying a used saw even though I know that there are some good deals out there. I'm going to check all of these saws out and go from there.

Danny

Thanks for all of the replys and recommendations. I don't really feel comfortable buying a used saw even though I know that there are some good deals out there. I'm going to check all of these saws out and go from there.

Danny

Get a MS192 rear handle. Light and plenty of power. Very easy to start and built a lot better than the crappy Echo saws.

Get a MS192 rear handle. Light and plenty of power. Very easy to start and built a lot better than the crappy Echo saws.

+1

You wanted light: It's one of the lightest, like a good knife or so...

You wanted rear handle: The one without a 'T' has a rear handle.

It's a Stihl, so the quality is decent, and the price is... well, decent.

Interesting, my neighbor has an almost new Stihl MS250. Not overly impressive anyplace. The choke/start/kill deal confused him so much he had to return it when it was new to get lessons on how to start it. It doesn't cut any faster than my Echo CS-360T, yet folks rave about them.

Seems like the Echo saws are quick to get beat down here. We have most of the new line-up at our disposal, and they are excellent saws, not the first hint of trouble from any of them.

We did have several older models and got rid of them, including a 500VL, and a couple of the reed valve engine top handles. They were very slow/underpowered.

The two 510's that we have get a LOT of use. Decent power, reliable and will cut more firewood per gallon of fuel than anything else we have. They have been ran on a steady basis now for at least 3 years, no issues anyplace. I'm still wondering why they have such a bad reputation?......Cliff

Back