Which saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following is directly off Husky's web site:

'' 359
The Husqvarna 359 is among our latest generation of professional saws. Raw strength and a wide range of speeds, with a slim and easy to handle body and low vibration levels, make the 359 a truly versatile saw for the widest variety of tasks. A reliable and effective tool for the most demanding professional needs. ''

I did not compare it to the MS 290/310 yesterday because of the above statement, in my mind it is a comparable saw in the same price range as the 290/310. There is nothing wrong with this saw but XP class it is not and would be better served with other models although a bit more money which is why I previously posted way back to look at other brands also available in his area such as Jonsered or others. A good long standing reputable dealer in his area of any quality brand should be able to guide him properly.

Hey Woodhead007, I'll go up against you any time.&nbsp; Just know that I'll try to actually argue against what you actually wrote.&nbsp; Do us both a favor and do the same for me.&nbsp; I'll give you a clue:&nbsp; I never said the guy should get either a 359 or MS361, and any of my "talk" comparing them was in answer to someone else who suggested the Husky was as good or better.&nbsp; Why don't you go after the things I <i>did</i> say, mainly regarding the various features of the different makes?&nbsp; Are you arguing with my constantly suggesting he should get the 353, maybe?

Glen

Hi Dario,

What did you end up choosing for your saw? Any luck with the ebay deals? Did the mayor of the arboristsite approve your choice?

WoodTick,

I am still watching the Husqvarna 359's on eBay...hoping to get lucky one of these days. With Christmas coming, bidders will have a down time...when that happens I'll be waiting :D. As mentioned on earlier post, I will probably go with 353 if ebay won't fan out.

As to whether my choice will be approved by the fine folks here...I really don't know ;). There seems to be different favorites and understandably so. Please note that my decision is based on the best that I can afford (at least to my belief).

My main point of interest is reliability & sufficient power...something I can count on when I need it...and hopefully for a long time. Least maintenance (or ease of it) will come second. Weight is not much of a factor since I'll probably use it just for a few hours a year (as long as it is not a tank). Looks...I couldn't care less.

Honestly I was surprised when I found this forum...couldn't believe that there is a forum dedicated to chainsaw!!! Now I understand why.

Again, I thank all of you for all the input.

Dario :)

Just get the 55R with a 20" bar, fer chrissake.

Longevity? All day every day for the past 4 years.
Power? Pulls 72 links of 72LG without a problem.
Price? Sure beats a Stihl.

Got My saw :D

Hello Guys,

Here is the result of your advise....

Less than a month ago, I purchased a slightly used Husqvarna 55R w/ 18" bar for $185.00 (w/ extra chain, manual, tools, scabbard, 2 chain files) from another ArboristSite member. Compared to my Poulan Pro, this saw rocks! and I couldn't be more pleased. It is still going through break-in period and I had it run through 3 tank fulls so far (plus 2 from previous owner).

Last night, I also bought a used Stihl 044 w/ 24" bar for $269.00 (insured shipping included). I was told that the saw is in good working condition this remains to be seen. I probably won't need all that power but I just can't let that deal pass by. ;)

I am writing this as a reply to the inquiry whether my choice(s) is acceptable to you guys or not.

You be the judge.

Last edited:
Dario when you get the 044, if it is running properly you will probably end up keeping the 55 as a spare. Both are nice saws but the 55 is not creally close performance wise to the 044.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

LOL!! That sounds like a deal to me! Ahem...... you're up to 3 saws now ;) lmao, watch it, chainsaw lunacy is contagious, lol :cool:

trimmmed said:
LOL!! That sounds like a deal to me! Ahem...... you're up to 3 saws now ;) lmao, watch it, chainsaw lunacy is contagious, lol :cool:

It sure is contagious!!!

To think that a year ago I was trying to cut some 10"-12" dia mesquite with a hand saw!!! That is why I got the Poulan in the first place thought I have my sight set on the 55R (Husqvarna weren't available locally yet then).

The 044 came "unexpectedly" ...I wasn't looking but the trip to the Stihl dealership (to get some premix oil)...holding those toys (MS440) got me all excited.

The rest is history...and I am now an expecting Stihl owner. :D.

Good choice and price on both saws. I have an 046 for big stuff and my 290 which is about equivelent to a 55r. I cant complain about how the 290 runs, it may be big for its discplacement, but heck I am 16 it is not that big of deal. with a sharp chain it will cut anything you ask. You cant lay onto the saw expecting it not to loose power with the bar buried, but it works. The only real bad thing about it is I think it is made cheaply.

Latest posts

Back