Which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy either Stihl MS250 or MS290.
It will be for only occasional use. I only have 1 acre (about 1/2 already clear) and it would be for clean up and dropping some smaller pines and oaks. The price difference isn't the issue, while the 290 is 56cc the 270 is only 45cc but weighs about three pounds less.
TIA

weight is not as big of an issue that everyone likes to put on it! If it cut the wood you need go for it..... my 2 cents 290

It will be for only occasional use. I only have 1 acre (about 1/2 already clear) and it would be for clean up and dropping some smaller pines and oaks. The price difference isn't the issue, while the 290 is 56cc the 270 is only 45cc but weighs about three pounds less.
TIA

Head down to the dealer and handle both saws. If the weight difference really jumps out at you, grab the 250. If not, get the 290 for the extra power. For your limited cutting, either saw will do the job. I'd take the 290 myself but weight doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

I would go with the 250. I know an old arborist that has been running his 025 for years and it has never missed a beat.

My 4 reason's are,

1) PRICE
2) WEIGHT
3) used mainly for CLEAN UP
4) powerful little saw for it's weight

TIA

I don't know much about chainsaws, but i do know about buyers remorse, If I were to buy the smaller one and it was for occasional use, I would regret not buying the more substantial one, especially if the smaller machine ever bogged down in a large piece of wood.

However, if I had to work with these saws everyday, it seems the weight would play a bigger role in my decision

I have both saws, and with the 250 I have both 16 and 18 inch bars, the 290 only have a 20 inch bar. If you don't cut more than several wekends a year I would say the 250 with both bars and chains will get you by. If you have the cash go with the 290 with 20 and 18 inch bars. I also have an 038 with 25 inch b & c and when I use it (about 15%) of the time I feel it the next day. the other two saws I don't see much difference. I do use those saws at least three wekends of a month on the ground and up in trees. Soooo many decisions so little time.

So.... just how big a boy are ya?? :laugh:

Seriously, in the title you say 250 and in the text you say 270??? Judging by the 45cc comment I’m guessing a typo and you are referring to the 250??

The two saws in question have mostly the same construction characteristics and quality. The difference being that the 250 is kinda "maxed out" for it's frame work and is the largest cc saw built on that platform. Whereas the 290 is the entry level saw for that series and is the smallest cc saw built on that platform. What I'm saying is, any tool worked consistently at it's maximum will fail before a tool that is worked in it's comfort zone.

Both saws would be fine for the work you describe and last you many years with proper maintenance. If you’re the kinda guy who tends to beat the dog snot out’a your tools you may want to go with the bigger framed less stressed MS290. If you’re the kinda guy who can keep a sharp chain, takes care of your tools, and can appreciate the handling and performance of the smaller saw then get the MS250.

Of course the best option you’ve listed so far is the MS270. ;)

:cheers:

Poulan 330 and 10 cases of beer!

Get that Poulan 330 for 200 bucks, you can get bout 8-10 cases of beer to admire your work with after. For 200 you can't find a better deal on a new saw. Just a thought to consider.

TIA

Bob,
sounds like your close,
I have a 250 a 260, 360,1 and so on. I can get a 290 if'n you want to run em all and see which one really suits your needs. If you are buying new make sure the dealer lets you use em all too.

Pm me if your interested.

My vote is 290 as it will get you more of a firewood saw. that being said, I reach for my 250 unless I am cutting firewood. It's a great little saw.
A

Back