Which saw.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Would you send to the spa out of these....

241, 362, 461 or 661.

My main runner is the 461, but the 362 has been getting some love recently. My log stash has started to decrease in diameter so Ive been letting the 461/25" bar sit. Also, the 461 may go bye bye when the 462 shows up at my dealer.

I know the 661 would be a riot to run if it was souped up, but the reality is I don't run it that much. Or would I if I sent it off..... This will also be a milling saw in the future.

I hear the 241 turns into a lunatic after being worked over, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to fall into everyday rotation.....

The easy answer is none of them. It really depends on the size of wood you regularly deal with. I guess if I HAD to choose one to part with I would choose the 461. Use the 241 as a limber, the 362 for small bucking and the 661 for large bucking. If you end up dedicating the 661 to a mill saw, you could then replace the big bucking saw with a 462.

I didn't understand the reason to port a little saw. I figured that you get more gain in terms of HP per dollar with bigger saws. Then I bought a ported 346. I understand it now. Small ported saws are awesome!! I use a small saw a lot, and having it be super snappy is a real treat.

So, I'd go with the 241 of those options, or I'd agree with Steve. A ported 461 with a 20" bar will be an awesome firewood saw, and a ported 261 will be a perfect companion. After running my 346, I became "inspired" to send out my 261.

Just a quick reminder. At least here "worked over" saws tend to fetch lower prices than stock ones, sometimes considerably so.
Perhaps in your area things are different and people will line up to buy used saws at a markup over stock, but judging by how long "worked over" saws sit in the classfieds and the not exactly stellar prices they fetch here I honestly doubt it.
All the saws you own are strong performers in their classes and easy to shift in stock form, at least if you aren't greedy.

Think well about it.

Just a quick reminder. At least here "worked over" saws tend to fetch lower prices than stock ones, sometimes considerably so.
Perhaps in your area things are different and people will line up to buy used saws at a markup over stock, but judging by how long "worked over" saws sit in the classfieds and the not exactly stellar prices they fetch here I honestly doubt it.
All the saws you own are strong performers in their classes and easy to shift in stock form, at least if you aren't greedy.

Think well about it.
That's interesting as the pro saws on here built by the reputable builders will definitely command a premium if the saw is clean.

Out of your list of saws, the 362. Once ported it would be close enough to the 461 with a 24/25" bar on it, and a beast with a 20" bar. You also mentioned waving bye bye to it for the 462. With your 661 I'd at leas open the muffler up, especially if milling with it. The main reason I opened mine up was to expel more heat from the cylinder. A 241 would be fun I'm sure but if you're like me, I probably wouldn't use it for anything over 8-10" diameter. I really like svk's idea too, a ported 50cc saw. Logically, you have to figure out which size wood you cut the most of, as that's where you'll save the most time, and hopefully have the most fun with it.

Out of your list of saws, the 362. Once ported it would be close enough to the 461 with a 24/25" bar on it, and a beast with a 20" bar. You also mentioned waving bye bye to it for the 462. With your 661 I'd at leas open the muffler up, especially if milling with it. The main reason I opened mine up was to expel more heat from the cylinder. A 241 would be fun I'm sure but if you're like me, I probably wouldn't use it for anything over 8-10" diameter. I really like svk's idea too, a ported 50cc saw. Logically, you have to figure out which size wood you cut the most of, as that's where you'll save the most time, and hopefully have the most fun with it.

I agree with this.

That's interesting as the pro saws on here built by the reputable builders will definitely command a premium if the saw is clean.

In the provincial classifieds there's a Husqvarna 576XP about 25 miles from here which has been listed for months. In the pictures it looks new. Every couple of weeks or so the seller drops the asking price a bit: last time I checked it was €450, which is insanely low for such a saw. Still no takers. Why?
The saw is "worked on", which is a worse turnoff than a mere scored piston here.

Call me unadventurous, misinformed or whatever but I tend to agree with local sentiment: a "worked on" saw needs to go down a long way before I'll buy it, and as soon as it's in my hands it goes back to stock, period. I don't care who worked on it, how well it has been kept or how low hours it is.

That's why I tend to keep out of all "modding" threads here. :laugh:

I didn't understand the reason to port a little saw. I figured that you get more gain in terms of HP per dollar with bigger saws. Then I bought a ported 346. I understand it now. Small ported saws are awesome!! I use a small saw a lot, and having it be super snappy is a real treat.

So, I'd go with the 241 of those options, or I'd agree with Steve. A ported 461 with a 20" bar will be an awesome firewood saw, and a ported 261 will be a perfect companion. After running my 346, I became "inspired" to send out my 261.

I'm trying to NOT buy another saw. Ive been pining for a 261, but as of yet Ive been able to maintain......

The easy answer is none of them. It really depends on the size of wood you regularly deal with. I guess if I HAD to choose one to part with I would choose the 461. Use the 241 as a limber, the 362 for small bucking and the 661 for large bucking. If you end up dedicating the 661 to a mill saw, you could then replace the big bucking saw with a 462.

I'm not looking to get rid of a saw... In fact, I'm not dissatisfied with any of my saws. I'm just thinking about spicing one up a little....

Think well about it.

I can sympathize with the sentiment.. I would shy away from a modified saw as well.

Latest posts

Back